Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you guys assume the coaches say you’re providing depth next year??? How about you can come in and compete for a starting spot. That makes more sense to me.
That's what K told Tucker.
It just wasn't realistic. Kids know what they're competing against, and also recognize when a coach is not so much likely to skip over an 'established'/veteran player for a newbie/frosh.

That's what K told Tucker.
It just wasn't realistic. Kids know what they're competing against, and also recognize when a coach is not so much likely to skip over an 'established'/veteran player for a newbie/frosh.
Makes no sense to me. You’re more likely to get a commit by saying come in and compete forva starting position than come in and no matter what you do you’re the backup to the backup.

Andrew Slater on 2 4 7 predicted this morning Osun to the Bonnie’s. He gotten one recent SU recruitment wrong. Let’s hope he gets another wrong!
Wow. I’m surprised at that prediction. Cuse seems like a no brainer with Govan likely back at Gtown and Yurtseven the year after.

I don’t think you can call it “losing” a recruit to the Bonnies, to the extent that you are intending it to carry a negative connotation about our recruiting. We are very likely offering 2 very different opportunities in terms of the likelihood that he will get playing time both next year and in the future.

Not saying we dont want him, but wanting him to provide roster depth is not the same as offering an immediate role.

If we were both offering him a starting, or at least comparable, role than it would be fair to say they beat us out, if they in fact do.

Think this is the hardest part for folks to grasp when it should be relatively easy. All we need to do is just go over to the football recruiting board where we complain about why kids want to go to a powerhouse and sit for a few years behind the other 4 and 5 star guys when they could come get early playing time with us. Obviously the majority of us will just argue whichever point favors Syracuse but it's essentially the same thing.

Makes no sense to me. You’re more likely to get a commit by saying come in and compete forva starting position than come in and no matter what you do you’re the backup to the backup.

Do you actually believe that anyone would say that? I imagine all recruits are told either that their is a starting spot open for them or that they will have an opportunity to compete for playing time.

yMCtqEW.jpg

:D Go for it. But not in this thread.
The thing about GTown is everyone hated them, our hate was just the deepest and most pure.

Think this is the hardest part for folks to grasp when it should be relatively easy. All we need to do is just go over to the football recruiting board where we complain about why kids want to go to a powerhouse and sit for a few years behind the other 4 and 5 star guys when they could come get early playing time with us. Obviously the majority of us will just argue whichever point favors Syracuse but it's essentially the same thing.

Football is nothing like basketball. It is far far easier in basketball to play immediately.

Do you actually believe that anyone would say that? I imagine all recruits are told either that their is a starting spot open for them or that they will have an opportunity to compete for playing time.
That’s what people are saying here. I cant see the staff being that incompetent. It already puts you behind with that logic.

Come ride the pine Osun, maybe by your junior year you will log minutes! Immediately commits and signs LOI.

Football is nothing like basketball. It is far far easier in basketball to play immediately.

Sure. But it's not the 80s either.

That’s exactly what it means by telling him bluntly to come be the backup .

Come ride the pine Osun, maybe by your junior year you will log minutes! Immediately commits and signs LOI.
reductio ad absurdum

it would more likely go something like this:
osun, we believe that our program and system is well suited to helping you develop your talent and move you along to the next level. we believe that daily competition in practice with other acc caliber players is an essential part of that development process. now, as you know we have a senior starter returning at center and two starting forwards also returning. beyond that, you also will be in competition for rotation minutes with another returning center and another freshman forward. nothing is guaranteed beyond the daily competition against these very talented individuals, and our head coach's 40+ year record of helping young men like yourself become the best players that they can be.​

Sure. But it's not the 80s either.

No its not the 80s. Its more likely that a basketball player today would come in and start.

Obviously mine was a joke.
I know you were joking. But it's actually not that hard to sell the program even to a third center. Put aside the usual schpiel about the ACC being the top conference in the nation, about SU having a record of putting guys in the NBA (first round streak, etc..). The fact is, the starting enter has one year and has had at least one serious eye injury. The second guys is coming off surgery. Even if they both can go, bigs pick up fouls like ants on sugar and there will be minutes available - if he earns them - just like there were last year with fouls and/or injuries. It's also not beneficial for a center to be forced into action before he's ready for the competition level. At SU, he'll have opportunity but not pressure.

Last edited:
Why do you guys assume the coaches say you’re providing depth next year??? How about you can come in and compete for a starting spot. That makes more sense to me.
not every kid is a baker mayfield who has the confidence to walk on and win a starters nod.

most kids are somewhat realistic, and will know where they might fit in relative to other talent on the roster. coaches that do not appraise their situation honestly to them will lose respect and credability.

to me the issue should be on selling them on the cuse from many perspectives, making them comfortable with their future teammates, and showing them the value of being a two year starter at the cuse vs a three or four year starter at st nobody u.

Would UNC or Duke even care about a kid who decommitted from UNCGreensboro and visited UNCWilmington?
They might if they need help in that position and if the kid is good enough...

I know you were joking. But it's actually not that hard to sell the program even to a third center. Put aside the usual schpiel about the ACC being the top conference in the nation, about SU having a record of putting guys in the NBA (first round streak, etc..). The fact is, the starting enter has one year and has had at least one serious eye injury. The second guys is coming off surgery. Even if they both can go, bigs pick up fouls like ants on sugar and there will be minutes available - if he earns them - just like there were last year with fouls and/or injuries. It's also not beneficial for a center to be forced into action before he's ready for the competition level. At SU, he's have opportunity but not pressure.
Exactly. And neither of our two centers is a 'returning star.' They both have work to do, and are inconsistent even when healthy. While i'm sure one or the other is almost guaranteed to start over anyone we might now pick up, that starter is also just as likely to be benched only minutes into any particular game for some zone-related transgression or another. There are minutes to be taken at the Center position.

I can’t speak for OX... but the point is probably:
1) they never do
2) they never are
Good response but you can't say never, because you don't know what may happen in the future.

Exactly. And neither of our two centers is a 'returning star.' They both have work to do, and are inconsistent even when healthy. While i'm sure one or the other is almost guaranteed to start over anyone we might now pick up, that starter is also just as likely to be benched only minutes into any particular game for some zone-related transgression or another. There are minutes to be taken at the Center position.

I think I am safe in saying both our centers right now today is better than OO.

Status
Not open for further replies.