Class of 2018 - PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ...

Manuel is not unathletic, it just doesn't jump it at you. He made a dunk with two hands with his back to the basket in the game I watched. I should've put that in my write-up. That's pretty athletic.

I'M not saying he is unathletic. I was just pointing out that people tend to look down their nose at players who aren't sky walking rim rockers [like Rick Jackson], when these guys can [and often do] turn into very good players.

I'M not saying he is unathletic. I was just pointing out that people tend to look down their nose at players who aren't sky walking rim rockers [like Rick Jackson], when these guys can [and often do] turn into very good players.

Oh, of course. Yeah, I didn't think you were saying that. Manuel dunks a lot, I'm just not sure he has an incredible vertical. He has long arms. He moves fluidly. He's plenty athletic enough. The Rick Jackson comparison is fine but I think he might turn out to be a better face up shooter than Rick. It'll be tough for Manuel to be as crafty around the rim as RJ.

Defensively, I see a comparison to Rick in that Jackson wasn't really much of a rim protector. I could see Manuel developing into a shot blocker but it doesn't look like he has that skill right now.

Oh, of course. Yeah, I didn't think you were saying that. Manuel dunks a lot, I'm just not sure he has an incredible vertical. He has long arms. He moves fluidly. He's plenty athletic enough. The Rick Jackson comparison is fine but I think he might turn out to be a better face up shooter than Rick. It'll be tough for Manuel to be as crafty around the rim as RJ.

Defensively, I see a comparison to Rick in that Jackson wasn't really much of a rim protector. I could see Manuel developing into a shot blocker but it doesn't look like he has that skill right now.
He can definitely be a better face up shooter than Rick.

Not a high bar.

I can't imagine this guy is worse offensively than Chukwu or a 35% Sidibe.

We're a bubble team with those guys in the middle of the zone & if we have one more big guy, all the better for depth/foul purposes & to keep Dolezaj out of the center of the zone.

Sign me up, hope he stays healthy and can be a four-year contributor. He & Sidibe (if healthy) could be a great tandem for the next 3 years.

I'd love to add a talented big, but what I dont get is the tweet that talks about him anchoring the zone, when Iommi said he isnt a shot blocker. Isnt being a shot blocker what JB really wants anchoring the zone? An eraser so that everyone else can flare out on shooters?

What I do enjoy is seeing a guy who has us in his Final Four without us even having recruited long enough(at least above the radar) to have a long thread on him.

I'd love to add a talented big, but what I dont get is the tweet that talks about him anchoring the zone, when Iommi said he isnt a shot blocker. Isnt being a shot blocker what JB really wants anchoring the zone? An eraser so that everyone else can flare out on shooters?

What I do enjoy is seeing a guy who has us in his Final Four without us even having recruited long enough(at least above the radar) to have a long thread on him.

I think lazy people just look at a long big and use that phrase because it's easy. I'm all in on him as Sidibe insurance once Chukwu is gone in a year and as a quality depth guy if we bring in any big time guys in '19/'20. That's how teams are made.

We're a bubble team with those guys in the middle of the zone & if we have one more big guy, all the better for depth/foul purposes & to keep Dolezaj out of the center of the zone.

Sign me up, hope he stays healthy and can be a four-year contributor. He & Sidibe (if healthy) could be a great tandem for the next 3 years.

That's absolutely right -- depth, Sidibe insurance, and additional lineup flexibility. And perhaps more importantly, it would be nice to get him in the fold for year when we [hopefully] have both Sidibe / Chukwu, so that he can get acclimated to the college game before taking on a bigger role when it's time to replace Chukwu.

Hope we land him.

Injuries have really decimated the team the past two seasons. Look forward to having an abundance of depth / talent. Our team is at its best when we have a stable of quality four-year program guys, surrounded by slightly higher rated players. A kid like Manuel seems like he could develop into a highly serviceable college big.

Last edited:

I like this guy too, and have been pushing for the staff to add a big for months. Clearly there's a need, given our luck with injuries, the way bigs draw fouls, etc.. So I agree with your post.

However, as an aside, your low-bar comparison, Chukwu, just went off for 14 and 9, with 3 blocks and 3 assists ... all on 1 TO. Not picking on you. And I'm not suggesting for a minute that Chukwu's a big part of our offense or even that he has a serviceable low-post game (he doesn't yet). OTOH ... last night's stat line can't be ignored either. Not only does he change the zone defensively, he's starting to contribute on offense. We still need another big IMO, but if our starting center keeps improving, I don't think he's going to be the butt of jokes (or low-bar comparisons) much longer.

I like this guy too, and have been pushing for the staff to add a big for months. Clearly there's a need, given our luck with injuries, the way bigs draw fouls, etc.. So I agree with your post.

However, as an aside, your low-bar comparison, Chukwu, just went off for 14 and 9, with 3 blocks and 3 assists ... all on 1 TO. Not picking on you. And I'm not suggesting for a minute that Chukwu's a big part of our offense or even that he has a serviceable low-post game (he doesn't yet). OTOH ... last night's stat line can't be ignored either. Not only does he change the zone defensively, he's starting to contribute on offense. We still need another big IMO, but if our starting center keeps improving, I don't think he's going to be the butt of jokes (or low-bar comparisons) much longer.

It was 1 game and he has 1 season left. Chukwu barely factors into the equation of whether or not to bring in Manuel.

It was 1 game and he has 1 season left. Chukwu barely factors into the equation of whether or not to bring in Manuel.
I never said that because Chukwu had a good game, now we don't need a big. Quite the contrary. I think Manuel looks good and it would absolutely be awesome to add another front line player - as I said (twice) and have posted many times. As for Chukwu, yes it's one game. But it was a big game with huge stakes - we're fighting for our lives with the NCAA's. And this is what "flashing" looks like. He has a LONG way to go offensively, no doubt. But the trajectory looks positive.

Add .. he played in 7 games last year. That makes him eligible for a medical waiver ... (not a guarantee, but certainly he meets the requirements). How to Get a Medical Redshirt

Last edited:
I never said that because Chukwu had a good game, now we don't need a big. Quite the contrary. I think Manuel looks good and it would absolutely be awesome to add another front line player - as I said (twice) and have posted many times. As for Chukwu, yes it's one game. But it was a big game with huge stakes - we're fighting for our lives with the NCAA's. And this is what "flashing" looks like. He has a LONG way to go offensively, no doubt. But the trajectory looks positive.

Add .. he played in 7 games last year. That makes him eligible for a medical waiver ... (not a guarantee, but certainly he meets the requirements). How to Get a Medical Redshirt

He also had 2 pts in a must win 3 days ago so I'm still not that enthused though I will admit that the authority with which he was hammering down some of those dunks was far stronger than I recall seeing at any point prior. I'm not sure I'll ever reach the point where I don't cringe if he has the ball in his hands and there is another human between him and the hoop.

I haven't really seen the possibility of a redshirt for last year mentioned too much on here. Does anyone in the know think that its a realistic possibility that he could return for a 6th year? I've seen far more people infer that he could be done after this year which I always thought was highly unlikely.

He also had 2 pts in a must win 3 days ago so I'm still not that enthused though I will admit that the authority with which he was hammering down some of those dunks was far stronger than I recall seeing at any point prior. I'm not sure I'll ever reach the point where I don't cringe if he has the ball in his hands and there is another human between him and the hoop.

I haven't really seen the possibility of a redshirt for last year mentioned too much on here. Does anyone in the know think that its a realistic possibility that he could return for a 6th year? I've seen far more people infer that he could be done after this year which I always thought was highly unlikely.

You get 4 to play 5, and his transfer year counts as his 5th year. So unless he can get a medical waiver, his clock is up after next season.

You get 4 to play 5, and his transfer year counts as his 5th year. So unless he can get a medical waiver, his clock is up after next season.

I believe we are all aware of that. I just had not seen much mention of the medical waiver 6th year mentioned in regards to Chukwu prior to the post I was responding to.

I don't want to get too far into Chuwku in a Manuel thread, except to say: 1) he's definitely a WIP; 2) we need another big; 3) manuel looks like a good prospect; and 4) Chukwu's definitely struggling with certain problems, dropping the ball too low, getting pushed too far away from the basket, trying to pivot instead of going up strong with a baby hook, TO's, etc.. But he changes the zone on D. And on offense, anything he gives us is gravy. For example, if he can shoot foul shots, he can shoot a jump shot. The staff is working on his low-post game. It's all about confidence, and this is his first year as a starter. He backed up the 5 one year at providence and played 7 games for us last year. So I don't see why he wouldn't apply for another year.

Last edited:
So I don't see why he wouldn't apply for another year.
They don't give out 6th years like candy at Halloween; it's a convoluted process and a 6th year isn't guaranteed. Also, depends on whether Chukwu wants to play a 6th season, he'll be 25 by the end of his 6th season.

They don't give out 6th years like candy at Halloween; it's a convoluted process and a 6th year isn't guaranteed. Also, depends on whether Chukwu wants to play a 6th season, he'll be 25 by the end of his 6th season.
They grant about half of them, and he's eligible. At the end of the day, it'll be his decision with the coaches. But to my eye, he's just starting to hit his development curve and could use the extra year. We'll see.

Last edited:

The 5 in our zone can work if the player is a shot blocker or a space eater. Onuaku wasn't much of a shot blocker but was very good defensively as our 5 for example.

Kid looks pretty good as a player, but I wonder about the fit, though that probably isn't a huge issue. If he's 6'8", that may be a problem, but he's got some bulk and looks to have long arms to make up for not being 6'11" or so.

He doesn't look overly athletic and seems to play below the rim, so that may be an issue. We've had success with Arinze and Rick Jackson in recent years, and a 6'9" Christmas, so he could work his way into the middle of the zone just fine. He doesn't look capable of playing the wing at this point, but Jackson did some of it, so you never know.

For depth, especially heading into 2018-2019 when we have to hope Sidibe will be healthy, it would make a ton of sense to add this kid with the open ship. I wouldn't expect much for a few years and would still hope we go after a big time Center at some point. We badly need some athleticism combined with some strength. Enough with the string beans.

Kid looks pretty good as a player, but I wonder about the fit, though that probably isn't a huge issue. If he's 6'8", that may be a problem, but he's got some bulk and looks to have long arms to make up for not being 6'11" or so.

He doesn't look overly athletic and seems to play below the rim, so that may be an issue. We've had success with Arinze and Rick Jackson in recent years, and a 6'9" Christmas, so he could work his way into the middle of the zone just fine. He doesn't look capable of playing the wing at this point, but Jackson did some of it, so you never know.

For depth, especially heading into 2018-2019 when we have to hope Sidibe will be healthy, it would make a ton of sense to add this kid with the open ship. I wouldn't expect much for a few years and would still hope we go after a big time Center at some point. We badly need some athleticism combined with some strength. Enough with the string beans.

+1. I miss having a dominant center. It's been too long, in my opinion. Grabbing this kid would be nice, but I hope they are also gunning for a show stopper in the near future.

The 5 in our zone can work if the player is a shot blocker or a space eater. Onuaku wasn't much of a shot blocker but was very good defensively as our 5 for example.

With you being the self-proclaimed arbiter of nicknames, I wanted to ask you to consider letting me call him "EJ". We've had good recruits named BJ and CJ, plus, well...his namesake led FSU to their most prolific offense in team history. It could be a harbinger of a turnaround on offense.

With you being the self-proclaimed arbiter of nicknames, I wanted to ask you to consider letting me call him "EJ". We've had good recruits named BJ and CJ, plus, well...his namesake led FSU to their most prolific offense in team history. It could be a harbinger of a turnaround on offense.
Call Valdir Manuel EJ? I'm not sure about that, to be honest

I've been planning on calling him Vald the Impaler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom