Class of 2018 - PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ...

Yeah the whole thing works specifically because he is Vald, not Vlad.

That's fine. I get the humor in that. I was really referring to another post that kept referring to Manuel as VLAD, when that's not his name.

Vald the Impaler works as a nickname for Manuel. VLAD the Impaler doesn't because VLAD is not short for Valdir.

That's fine. I get the humor in that. I was really referring to another post that kept referring to Manuel as VLAD, when that's not his name.

Vald the Impaler works as a nickname for Manuel. VLAD the Impaler doesn't because VLAD is not short for Valdir.
We share a geographical location known as the same page.

I hate how thin the roster has been in recent years. I think a college basketball 13 player roster should ideally be broken out as follows:

C 2
C/PF 1
PF 2
SF 2
SG/SF 1
SG 2
PG 2
SG/PG 1

While we only have 12 scholarships for 2018-19, Buddy will technically be a walk on, so for all intents and purposes, the probation period is finally over, and we could outfit a roster with 13 scholarship players.

Using this as a guideline, here is how we stand today. You could quibble on position assignments but this shows why another big is needed, especially given how banged up both of our bigs got this year:

C Chukwu, TBD1
C/PF Sidibe
PF Brissett, Moyer
SF Dolezaj, Bazley
SG/SF
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Howard, Carey
PG/SG Washington

So it would be great to add a center to fill out the roster and honestly, we have a scholarship open for a swingman and probably should add one as well. We need to get to where we were a few years ago, when we red-shirted players a lot and turnover wasn't that high. The Virginia model is similar to where we used to be and need to be again.

Projecting to 2019, I think we are looking at

C Sidibe, TBD1 (Hope Chukwu gets another year and wants it, but can't plan for it)
C/PF TBD2
PF Moyer, TBD3
SF Dolezaj, TBD4
SG/SF TBD5
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Goodine, TBD6
PG/SG Washington

If we wanted, we could actually add a 14th scholarship level player, if we kept Buddy as a walk on. That would be 100% opposed to what JB has been in recent years, and it would probably require taking a player willing to redshirt, but I think it would be prudent.

Regardless, the need for that extra big really becomes apparent in 2019. It would be great to have someone who has been in the system for a year to fill that role. They are going to be in the rotation and needed.

Bottom line, there is likely going to be really heavy turnover after 2018-19, and we need to plan for it now. That 2019 class is going to be a big one.

I hate how thin the roster has been in recent years. I think a college basketball 13 player roster should ideally be broken out as follows:

C 2
C/PF 1
PF 2
SF 2
SG/SF 1
SG 2
PG 2
SG/PG 1

While we only have 12 scholarships for 2018-19, Buddy will technically be a walk on, so for all intents and purposes, the probation period is finally over, and we could outfit a roster with 13 scholarship players.

Using this as a guideline, here is how we stand today. You could quibble on position assignments but this shows why another big is needed, especially given how banged up both of our bigs got this year:

C Chukwu, TBD1
C/PF Sidibe
PF Brissett, Moyer
SF Dolezaj, Bazley
SG/SF
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Howard, Carey
PG/SG Washington

So it would be great to add a center to fill out the roster and honestly, we have a scholarship open for a swingman and probably should add one as well. We need to get to where we were a few years ago, when we red-shirted players a lot and turnover wasn't that high. The Virginia model is similar to where we used to be and need to be again.

C Sidibe, TBD1 (Hope Chukwu gets another year and wants it, but can't plan for it)
C/PF TBD2
PF Moyer, TBD3
SF Dolezaj, TBD4
SG/SF TBD5
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Goodine, TBD6
PG/SG Washington

If we wanted, we could actually add a 14th scholarship level player, if we kept Buddy as a walk on. That would be 100% opposed to what JB has been in recent years, and it would probably require taking a player willing to redshirt, but I think it would be prudent.

Regardless, the need for that extra big really becomes apparent in 2019. It would be great to have someone who has been in the system for a year to fill that role. They are going to be in the rotation and needed.

Bottom line, there is likely going to be really heavy turnover after 2018-19, and we need to plan for it now. That 2019 class is going to be a big one.

Tom -- agree about the multi-position lack of depth, especially in the post. We often have guys who can play either PF or C, at least for a stint. Our current forwards lack that capability. Neither Brissett nor Moyer are suited for that dual role, and while we were forced to play Dolezaj there out of necessity due to Sidibe's on again / off again injury situation, he doesn't fit the bill either.

That's where a kid like Manuel fits in. Not suggesting that he IS a pivot, but he could fill in there as needed. Adding a player like this actually improves depth at two positions. It also has the behind the scenes impact of more competitive practices, not having to rush players out onto the court before they are ready, etc.

Tom -- agree about the multi-position lack of depth, especially in the post. We often have guys who can play either PF or C, at least for a stint. Our current forwards lack that capability. Neither Brissett nor Moyer are suited for that dual role, and while we were forced to play Dolezaj there out of necessity due to Sidibe's on again / off again injury situation, he doesn't fit the bill either.

That's where a kid like Manuel fits in. Not suggesting that he IS a pivot, but he could fill in there as needed. Adding a player like this actually improves depth at two positions. It also has the behind the scenes impact of more competitive practices, not having to rush players out onto the court before they are ready, etc.
I'm a huge believer in the competitive practice thing.

The bottom line from Tom's post above is that we need a C plus a SF to go with SG Goodine in the 2019 class. Not likely to get any debate.

Might debate where the players fit and how particular players are labeled. Howard could easily be a SG, if we had a true PG; and Carey from reports is more of a SG or a combo. Washington, though, is the closest we have to a true PG. Don't think Carey is likely to be a one and done, so add him back into the 2019 lineup. Hughes is a solid 6ft 6in/220lbs -- might easily be SG/SF, depending on needs.

Brissett has been playing the perimeter all season, and stands to improve his outside shooting. He is the SF more than a PF. Dolezaj is the opposite -- playing the 4 all season despite being only 180 lbs, and likely to add muscle year over year and eventually grow into the position. When you slide Dolezaj back to PF, it becomes even more obvious that we need to recruit an elite SF.

the probation period is finally over, and we could outfit a roster with 13 scholarship players.
When was the last time SU had 13 scholarship players (not including walk-ons with scholarships)?

So are we thinking a TT type in terms of style and ability ? I see nothing in those clips I don’t like.
I see as an issue only that he isn't quick or explosive, and even in drills has some sort of weird hesitation before committing to a move. I hope it's that the drills consist of catching and then getting a verbal cue as to what to do with it, but it looked like just repetitive dunks and such, so i don't know what to make of it. Not being quick and/or explosive seems like it might mean the difference between being able to convert in the paint in college, versus the difficulties Brisset and Chukwu are facing, where defenders are able to respond and contest effectively.

Love his touch, though. Wish there weren't such concerns about his defensive and rebounding motors.

C 2
C/PF 1
PF 2
SF 2
SG/SF 1
SG 2
PG 2
SG/PG 1

C Chukwu, TBD1
C/PF Sidibe
PF Brissett, Moyer
SF Dolezaj, Bazley
SG/SF
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Howard, Carey
PG/SG Washington

C/PF TBD2
PF Moyer, TBD3
SF Dolezaj, TBD4
SG/SF TBD5
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Goodine, TBD6
PG/SG Washington

RE Roster Next Season - Thought this looked pretty good......

2018 Roster

Tyus Battle** (Potential NBA Draft Departure)

Frank Howard

Howard Washington Jr ** (Potential Red Shirt injury)

Elijah Hughes

Jalen Carey

Buddy Boeheim** (No Scholarship)

Brendan Paul** (Preferred Scholarship)

Taj Harris** (Football Scholarship)

Oshae Brissett

Darius Bazely

Matt Moyer

Marek Dolezaj

Paschal Chukwu

Bourma Sidibe

Plus we have at least 1 outstanding offer (Valdir)

Lots of clips out there for Taj - here are a few

Cannot embed more than one at a time, but linky for the next two:
50 blip
Burlington Township
It is a shame he wasn't on the team this year. It looks like he is good enough to have gotten some serious playing time.

It will be harder to find playing time at guard next year.

I wrote this. It’s my in-depth impressions of Manuel after watching the two Union County Tournament games.

Recruiting Spotlight: Valdir Manuel | Otto's Grove

Terrific article, Iommi [per usual].

Provided a LOT of insight into this prospect's capabilities, and was a straight forward breakdown of his strengths / limitations / potential.

I wrote this. It’s my in-depth impressions of Manuel after watching the two Union County Tournament games.

Recruiting Spotlight: Valdir Manuel | Otto's Grove

Thanks for the scouting report iommi. I'm always interested in your take. I like Manuel's offensive potential and skill set. I'm interested to see if he continues to become a little more "fluid" with his post moves.

Speaking of fluid bigs, have you seen Akok (Putnam Science) play live? If he adds weight and strength, this kid is going to continue to climb up the rankings.

Thanks for the scouting report iommi. I'm always interested in your take. I like Manuel's offensive potential and skill set. I'm interested to see if he continues to become a little more "fluid" with his post moves.

Speaking of fluid bigs, have you seen Akok (Putnam Science) play live? If he adds weight and strength, this kid is going to continue to climb up the rankings.

Thanks.

I have not seen Akok. Looks like a very good prospect though.

Appreciate the article, Vince. I liked hearing what he needs to work on as well as what his skills are. Two-hand baby hook sounds pretty sweet. He could probably use some strength on defense, but otherwise he seems like a good fit ... enough post game and size to contribute but enough developmental needs to stick around for a while. Seems like we don't have interest in Majak ... ? (he's also '18 and not offered).

Last edited:
Appreciate the article, Vince. I liked hearing what he needs to work on as well as what his skills are. Two-hand baby hook sounds pretty sweet. He could probably use some strength on defense, but otherwise he seems like a good fit ... enough post game and size to contribute but enough developmental needs to stick around for a while. Seems like we don't have interest in Majak ... ? (he's also '18 and not offered).

Some of his dunks were two-handed. Baby hooks were traditional.;) Two-handed baby hooks would be quite a sight.

Some of his dunks were two-handed. Baby hooks were traditional.;) Two-handed baby hooks would be quite a sight.
Lol, I meant ambi (with either hand). It's supersweet for a HS player to have that kind of low-block versatility.

C 2
C/PF 1
PF 2
SF 2
SG/SF 1
SG 2
PG 2
SG/PG 1

C Chukwu, TBD1
C/PF Sidibe
PF Brissett, Moyer
SF Dolezaj, Bazley
SG/SF
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Howard, Carey
PG/SG Washington

C/PF TBD2
PF Moyer, TBD3
SF Dolezaj, TBD4
SG/SF TBD5
SG Hughes, Boeheim
PG Goodine, TBD6
PG/SG Washington

This means you think Carey is a one and done? Interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom