Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

I don't recall Donnie ever saying SU was at the top of his list, but I could be wrong. He certainly said more than once that SU was recruiting him hard and he was eyeing a possible OV. Didn't happen. We did just get three OVs from 2024 guys, and Cadeau put us in his top 6. Then again, those players are all guards/wings.
Believe he was quoted that we were his dream school…the dreaded dream school

Probably reading too much into this but is this us reaching out saying “we’re expecting an opening or two we weren’t” or a result of this kid not feeling great about the initial cut down list he made?

Either way excited to hear he’s trying to set up an official.

Probably reading too much into this but is this us reaching out saying “we’re expecting an opening or two we weren’t” or a result of this kid not feeling great about the initial cut down list he made?

Either way excited to hear he’s trying to set up an official.
I wouldn't read into having any openings - the staff wants this kid no matter who else is here. I'm guessing it's a mixture of he wasn't sold on his top schools, and he caught wind of Adam.

I wouldn't read into having any openings - the staff wants this kid no matter who else is here. I'm guessing it's a mixture of he wasn't sold on his top schools, and he caught wind of Adam.
And, JB actually calling him. And showing him that he is a priority. I have been disappointed the past few years of JB's apparent lack of effort, but I think he is doing a great job with this roster AND he seems to be putting in a bigger effort on the recruiting trail.

in between Julie asking which drapes would look best in the new Skaneateles digs, JB should be calling this guy daily
FIFY - “coach” Weitsman should be calling him daily to get the deal done and secure his commitment.

FWIW, I talked to Adam W. about Donnie earlier this week.

As in you asked if he was involved with him or he told you he was involved with him?

As in you asked if he was involved with him or he told you he was involved with him?
Not necessarily either at this point. I just told him that SU coaches were reportedly back in the mix for Freeman and that he's a talented big man in 2024. Adam is looking for a NIL deal with a 2024 big. Donnie could make a good fit, but I don't have any intel right now as to whether Adam and Donnie are talking.

Just one of my posts on high school stats:

Decent sample size for Donnie Freeman, though I couldn't find any 2021 EYBL numbers. Anywho, the numbers I have on him the last couple years:
  • 710.3 minutes
  • 97/176 2 pointers (55.1%)
  • 13/37 3 pointers (35.1%)
  • 44/71 free throws (62.0%)
  • 15.6 points/40 minutes on 56.7% TS%
  • 8.6 rebounds/40 minutes
  • 2.1 assists to 2.6 turnovers/40 minutes
  • 0.9 steals/40 minutes
  • 0.8 blocks/40 minutes
  • 2.9 fouls/40 minutes
Not entirely sure what to make of the shooting splits. With big men, I'd expect more of his shots to be near the rim. If it were like all dunks and layups, 55.1% would be concerning, but if he's taking some jumpers and floaters and stuff in there, nothing to complain about. The 3 point shooting is good in terms of percentage; definitely doesn't take a lot of them though. In the EYBL stats I found, he t'ook roughly 1.3 three pointers per 40 minutes. The free throw numbers aren't great either, but honestly 62% isn't that bad for a big man in high school. Rebound numbers are pretty good if he's playing more PF than C. I feel like I'd need to watch some of his games to put these numbers in context more.

Just one of my posts on high school stats:

Decent sample size for Donnie Freeman, though I couldn't find any 2021 EYBL numbers. Anywho, the numbers I have on him the last couple years:
  • 710.3 minutes
  • 97/176 2 pointers (55.1%)
  • 13/37 3 pointers (35.1%)
  • 44/71 free throws (62.0%)
  • 15.6 points/40 minutes on 56.7% TS%
  • 8.6 rebounds/40 minutes
  • 2.1 assists to 2.6 turnovers/40 minutes
  • 0.9 steals/40 minutes
  • 0.8 blocks/40 minutes
  • 2.9 fouls/40 minutes
Not entirely sure what to make of the shooting splits. With big men, I'd expect more of his shots to be near the rim. If it were like all dunks and layups, 55.1% would be concerning, but if he's taking some jumpers and floaters and stuff in there, nothing to complain about. The 3 point shooting is good in terms of percentage; definitely doesn't take a lot of them though. In the EYBL stats I found, he t'ook roughly 1.3 three pointers per 40 minutes. The free throw numbers aren't great either, but honestly 62% isn't that bad for a big man in high school. Rebound numbers are pretty good if he's playing more PF than C. I feel like I'd need to watch some of his games to put these numbers in context more.

Hey, thank you for taking the time to compile all this data! I know how hard it can be watching those games sometimes.

Hey, thank you for taking the time to compile all this data! I know how hard it can be watching those games sometimes.
I haven’t actually watched any of them yet (outside of some highlights). I have access to a database for high school stats though; mostly the AAU circuits but they track stats some of the regular high school games and basketball camps and stuff too. The only hard part is that the data isn’t Excel friendly so I have to manually enter it all but it’s not too bad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom