Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Not trying to be argumentative, but I would like to understand your definition of 'classic Syracuse forward'?

Mine is an inside-outside, versatile forward that can score in a variety of ways.

Carmelo, DC, Owens, Wes Johnson, Kris Joseph, CJ Fair, John Wallace. All 6-7 and up, all could dribble enough for their size and do the things above. That's my prototype SU forward.

Jerami Grant & Hakim Warrick were not classic SU forwards but they still had multiple ways they could do damage, too.

I might put Freeman into a mix of both groups. He'd do well to be in this company. I think he will be soon enough.
I don't understand the grouping of those players. What unifies those players other than they were good (and some much better than others). Coleman is an extremely different player than Wes Johnson or Joseph, for example.

My definition is long, athletic, versatile. I wouldn't describe Coleman or Melo as classic Syracuse forwards, they are much more than that

I don't understand the grouping of those players. What unifies those players other than they were good (and some much better than others). Coleman is an extremely different player than Wes Johnson or Joseph, for example.

My definition is long, athletic, versatile. I wouldn't describe Coleman or Melo as classic Syracuse forwards, they are much more than that
I already gave my criteria. Versatility is the key for both of us. Freeman fits that criteria. All of those guys are that. They can score in a variety of ways. And they can all create their own shot.

Warrick developed that over time, but Grant did not while at SU.

Not sure why you're splitting hairs. SU forwards are versatile. Whether they're "much more than that" or not, I think that's what most people are saying when they say "classic SU forward".

Coleman and Owens established the definition of classic SU forward. They were both do it all players. Others have followed in similar molds but not all to the same caliber as the first two. Probably only Melo lives up to that original standard with Wallace being close as a senior.

Coleman and Owens established the definition of classic SU forward. They were both do it all players. Others have followed in similar molds but not all to the same caliber as the first two. Probably only Melo lives up to that original standard with Wallace being close as a senior.
We've never had a player like DC or Melo ever again. Not even close. Not just in overall ability but skillset, play style, etc. Don't understand how they could be described as classic mold of Syracuse forwards for that reason

I already gave my criteria. Versatility is the key for both of us. Freeman fits that criteria. All of those guys are that. They can score in a variety of ways. And they can all create their own shot.

Warrick developed that over time, but Grant did not while at SU.

Not sure why you're splitting hairs. SU forwards are versatile. Whether they're "much more than that" or not, I think that's what most people are saying when they say "classic SU forward".
Differentiating between Coleman and Wes Johnson is splitting hairs? They are night and day different players.

We've never had a player like DC or Melo ever again. Not even close. Not just in overall ability but skillset, play style, etc. Don't understand how they could be described as classic mold of Syracuse forwards for that reason
You're confusing level of talent with style of play. We have had lots of forwards that have played inside and outside, rebounded, and played solid defense. If you haven't seen that in other guys, you weren't watching.

You're confusing level of talent with style of play. We have had lots of forwards that have played inside and outside, rebounded, and played solid defense. If you haven't seen that in other guys, you weren't watching.
No brother. I'm not. You think DC's style of play is similar to Johnson, or Joseph, or Fair, or Melo? That's crazy -- DC was a completely different player

You're completely missing the point.
Versatility is the crux? That's such a nebulous term, we could compare whales to cats in such a manner. DC was not a similar player to Melo, nor were either similar to Wes Johnson, Joseph, etc

No brother. I'm not. You think DC's style of play is similar to Johnson, or Joseph, or Fair, or Melo? That's crazy -- DC was a completely different player
You're cherry picking players to compare and being too rigid when talking about style of play. The key characteristics are long versatile players. You keep mentioning DC and Melo, and even they had different styles but both fit the definition of typical Syracuse forward.

No, Wes Johnson was not the same style as DC. Actually, I wouldn't even put Johnson in the category we're discussing. He didn't have a post up game and didn't really create his own shot.

John Wallace absolutely fit the mold. Great in the low post, very good rebounder. By his senior year he created off the dribble and was good from the three point line.

Of course Owens does. He was practically Melo before Melo was Melo.

Fair was not the same caliber and nobody was suggesting that, but he too was a versatile scorer off the dribble, shot from different levels, was a decent rebounder, and solid defender.

Kris Joseph meets that criteria too.

Stop making this so difficult.

Last edited:
The point is the phrase “classic Syracuse forward” is meaningless.

If you’re talking about archetypes, there isn’t one. If you’re talking about “classic” in the sense that it’s an ‘all time great,” “memorable,” “impactful,“ or “iconic” player, my list qualifies, and Donnie is not ‘much better than that.’

You're cherry picking players to compare and being too rigid when talking about style of play. The key characteristics are long versatile players. You keep mentioning DC and Melo, and even they had different styles but both fit the definition of typical Syracuse forward.

No, Wes Johnson was not the same style as DC. Actually, I wouldn't even put Johnson in the category we're discussing. He didn't have a post up game and didn't really create his own shot.

John Wallace absolutely fit the mold. Great in the low post, very good rebounder. By his senior year he created off the dribble and was good from the three point line.

Of course Owens does. He was practically Melo before Melo was Melo.

Fair was not the same caliber and nobody was suggesting that, but he too was a versatile scorer off the dribble, shot from different levels, was a decent rebounder, and solid defender.

Kris Joseph meats that criteria too.

Stop making this so difficult.
Your list is so catch-all that it is basically useless other than as a list of 'these were good Syracuse forwards'. It doesn't describe a style of player whatsoever, other than in the vaguest of generalities. When I think 'classic Syracuse forward', I think 'style of forward that we often fielded'. And yes, in a general sense! I think it's appropriate to compare the style of Kris Joseph to cj fair. It's not appropriate to compare DC to Melo

Your list is so catch-all that it is basically useless other than as a list of 'these were good Syracuse forwards'. It doesn't describe a style of player whatsoever, other than in the vaguest of generalities. When I think 'classic Syracuse forward', I think 'style of forward that we often fielded'. And yes, in a general sense! I think it's appropriate to compare the style of Kris Joseph to cj fair. It's not appropriate to compare DC to Melo
Yep. Good Syracuse forwards with versatile skillsets. None of those guys were one trick ponies. Nobody was just a post up guy or just a spot up shooter or someone that couldn't handle the ball. So, yeah, that's the mold.

Yep. Good Syracuse forwards with versatile skillsets. None of those guys were one trick ponies. Nobody was just a post up guy or just a spot up shooter or someone that couldn't handle the ball. So, yeah, that's the mold.
That is truly the kind of player Jim recruited starting with Louis Orr.

That's both contradictory and bizarre.

First, you criticize the "catch-all" thing, then you validate your own choices by "Yes, in a general sense."
Secondly, if there's a category of forwards that we "often fielded" i'm not aware of it. And if so, how would that be appropriate to label as "classic" if it omits the best forwards we've ever had?

Thirdly, and because there's no way to even argue this either way, i'd suggest that 'as KJ is to Fair,' so is DC to Melo. But, then it becomes an SAT question...

Coleman was hyped up bye Barkley and Karl Malone as a guy that could have been the best power forward ever if he had work ethic. Damn shame he didnt grab the league bye the balls. Still never forget the day he blocked a shot as a freshman and it looked as if he was grabbing a rebound. lol. It was amazing.

Coleman was hyped up bye Barkley and Karl Malone as a guy that could have been the best power forward ever if he had work ethic. Damn shame he didnt grab the league bye the balls. Still never forget the day he blocked a shot as a freshman and it looked as if he was grabbing a rebound. lol. It was amazing.
DC best player I’ve ever seen in Cuse uniform. Pearl most exciting, hand down. Melo won us a championship. Greatest one year ever. DC, best alla round player could do everything was a bball savant. I did not see Dave bing play. Just saw big Rosie the other day at Kendall HS I was reffing a bball game. Man he still looks good.

Back to Freeman. I am really excited to have him coming in next season. Not sure how he will end up playing at the college level but watching his highlights he can score inside and out. With the current players he can be a great addition and potentially elevate the team.

Back to Freeman. I am really excited to have him coming in next season. Not sure how he will end up playing at the college level but watching his highlights he can score inside and out. With the current players he can be a great addition and potentially elevate the team.

A front court of Brown, Williams (the one from the Pitt game), and Freeman could be devastating both offensively, defensively, and on the boards.

I know what you are saying. The typical Syracuse forward that the talking heads are referring to is a rangy, mobile (skinny!), versatile player with good height. They are not bangers. They aren't getting interest from the football team. They can cover a lot of ground on D, can often shoot it well for a player of their size and have great athleticism. I think CJ Fair, Demetris Nichols, Donte Greene, Kris Joseph, Wes Johnson.

DC and Melo don’t really fit that mold because of the physicality, strength and rebounding they brought to the table. Melo and Billy Owens did it all with DC being more of a monster in the post but I think it’s fair to separate guys like that from the “typical” Cuse forward. They broke the mold.

Just got done watching Donnie play against Wasatch who has 3-4 top 100 kids. IMG lost 90-77 but this is the best game I’ve seen Donnie play offensively. From my count he had the following

27 pts
11/15 fg
3/6 3pt
2/3 ft
5 reb
Wasn’t tracking assists but he had a few really nice passes that led to buckets

His offensive game is expanding pretty rapidly and he doesn’t force the issue. He’s super comfortable hitting mid range jumpers off the dribble and getting better and better attacking the basket off the dribble as well. Got a ton of praise from Biancardi once again and hinted that he’s due for a massive bump in the ratings. If I had to guess I’d say Donnie’s gonna be in the 15-20 range next time ESPN updates them. He needs some work on the defensive end and has a tendency to get beat on the boards by stronger guys. The 5 rebounds he did get basically fell right to him and there were several instances where Donnie was outmuscled for a rebound. Overall, the offense was another level from what I’ve seen in the past and left me very impressed. If he puts on another 15 pounds then he’s about as complete a player as we’ve had come here in a long time.

Just got done watching Donnie play against Wasatch who has 3-4 top 100 kids. IMG lost 90-77 but this is the best game I’ve seen Donnie play offensively. From my count he had the following

27 pts
11/15 fg
3/6 3pt
2/3 ft
5 reb
Wasn’t tracking assists but he had a few really nice passes that led to buckets

His offensive game is expanding pretty rapidly and he doesn’t force the issue. He’s super comfortable hitting mid range jumpers off the dribble and getting better and better attacking the basket off the dribble as well. Got a ton of praise from Biancardi once again and hinted that he’s due for a massive bump in the ratings. If I had to guess I’d say Donnie’s gonna be in the 15-20 range next time ESPN updates them. He needs some work on the defensive end and has a tendency to get beat on the boards by stronger guys. The 5 rebounds he did get basically fell right to him and there were several instances where Donnie was outmuscled for a rebound. Overall, the offense was another level from what I’ve seen in the past and left me very impressed. If he puts on another 15 pounds then he’s about as complete a player as we’ve had come here in a long time.