Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Something to keep an eye on: Freeman's high school PG at St. John's HS, Malik Mack is averaging 20/4/4 at Harvard, including 27 vs IU - widely regarded as a top 10 freshman in the country. Has a DMV relationship with Judah as well.

Should have his share of suitors this offseason, but maybe Mintz can sell his friend on his replacement in Orange and team up with Donnie again.

Something to keep an eye on: Freeman's high school PG at St. John's HS, Malik Mack is averaging 20/4/4 at Harvard, including 27 vs IU - widely regarded as a top 10 freshman in the country. Has a DMV relationship with Judah as well.

Should have his share of suitors this offseason, but maybe Mintz can sell his friend on his replacement in Orange and team up with Donnie again.
Do St John’s guys listen to Gonzaga guys? ;-)

Great point. Mack has looked unreal this yr. Honestly one of the toughest guards to cover 1 on 1. A transfer would be mouth watering to say the least…

Is IMG playing against Montrose tonight at 9 on espnu? I think they are. Maybe not.

Is IMG playing against Montrose tonight at 9 on espnu? I think they are. Maybe not.
IMG played Don Bosco Prep, my friend. Another good game for Donnie. Jordan Smith Jr. and Anthony Brown (PVI) played and beat Link, while the 9 pm game saw Montverde beat LuHi (Kiyan Anthony/Nigel James) for the CoP title...Kiyan had 14 pts against Montverde, the No. 1 team in the country!!!

Donnie ended up playing 4 games at the City of Palms Classic and totaled the following per game based on box scores:

PTS: 18.8
REB: 7
AST: 2.5
FG: 63% (29/46)
3PT: 33% (2/6)
FT: 79% (15/19)

Biancardi did a segment during one of the games giving out accolades to the 2024 class and Freeman was labeled the "most improved" player in the class, so definitely some pretty solid praise to back up the numbers.

For those interested in a more analytical breakdown from a couple of Donnies recent games, there are some really good nuggets about Freeman in this article from an NBA draft analyst with theswishtheory:

Scouting the 2023 Sunshine Classic | Swish Theory

Some highlights:

"Donnie Freeman, Acuff’s teammate, got plenty of buckets of his own for IMG, flashing all of the developable ball skills, good feel decision-making, and impressive timing for someone with legitimate NBA size, wingspan, and two-way impact. Prospects with the height and length to defend multiple frontcourt positions who show capability in every offensive area, who don’t hurt their team on either end, who flash on-ball self-creator upside tend to be the most coveted prospect types by pro teams."

"
#10 Donavan (Donnie) Freeman, 6’9″ Forward, IMG Academy

vs. Montverde

20 PTS
9 REB
3 AST
4 STL + 1 BLK
8/16 FG – 3/4 FT
(27 MIN)

vs. Brewster
16 PTS
12 REB
3 AST / 3 TO
3 STL + 1 BLK
6/8 FG – 2/3 3P
(31 MIN)

6’9″ forwards with grab-and-go mentality, realistically developable dribble-pass-shoot ball skills, and good two-way feel don’t grow on trees; Donnie Freeman makes winning plays on both ends with intriguing scoring creator potential on the ball.

Talents as promising as this tend to be some of the most coveted prospect types in the draft, like Devin Vassell or Mikal Bridges, players who have nearly every tool at their disposal. The development of these prospect types depends on the situation they end up in, like water bending to the glass that holds it or turtles only growing as big as their bowl lets them

Freeman posted the highest overall impact of the event with 12.5 C-RAM, along with off-the-charts defensive output of 110 DSI after racking up 7 steals and 2 blocks over a 2-game stretch. Donavan’s scoring effectiveness is noted in his 87 PSP rating as an individual scorer, 78 3PEfficiency rating as a floor-stretching forward, and 83 ATR as a rim finisher in the paint.
Not enough film was taken of Donavan Freeman, a legitimate NBA prospect with bankable aspects to his game that should translate to every level he reaches going forward.

It’s not every day a prospect as tall as Donnie can create his own shot, dribble on the drive, finish at the rim, stretch the floor from deep, and use his height and length effectively to be an absolutely disruptive defender.

Against Brewster, Donnie Freeman showed smooth scoring chops along with dribble pass skills, notable for his height, featuring a mean stutter rip drive and dribble drive rim-finishing capabilties.
"

Theres more in the article so definitely worth checking out if interested, id recommend searching for Donnies name specifically as its quite long to read through the entire article.

For those interested in a more analytical breakdown from a couple of Donnies recent games, there are some really good nuggets about Freeman in this article from an NBA draft analyst with theswishtheory:

Scouting the 2023 Sunshine Classic | Swish Theory

Some highlights:

"Donnie Freeman, Acuff’s teammate, got plenty of buckets of his own for IMG, flashing all of the developable ball skills, good feel decision-making, and impressive timing for someone with legitimate NBA size, wingspan, and two-way impact. Prospects with the height and length to defend multiple frontcourt positions who show capability in every offensive area, who don’t hurt their team on either end, who flash on-ball self-creator upside tend to be the most coveted prospect types by pro teams."

"
#10 Donavan (Donnie) Freeman, 6’9″ Forward, IMG Academy

vs. Montverde

20 PTS
9 REB
3 AST
4 STL + 1 BLK
8/16 FG – 3/4 FT
(27 MIN)

vs. Brewster
16 PTS
12 REB
3 AST / 3 TO
3 STL + 1 BLK
6/8 FG – 2/3 3P
(31 MIN)

6’9″ forwards with grab-and-go mentality, realistically developable dribble-pass-shoot ball skills, and good two-way feel don’t grow on trees; Donnie Freeman makes winning plays on both ends with intriguing scoring creator potential on the ball.

Talents as promising as this tend to be some of the most coveted prospect types in the draft, like Devin Vassell or Mikal Bridges, players who have nearly every tool at their disposal. The development of these prospect types depends on the situation they end up in, like water bending to the glass that holds it or turtles only growing as big as their bowl lets them

Freeman posted the highest overall impact of the event with 12.5 C-RAM, along with off-the-charts defensive output of 110 DSI after racking up 7 steals and 2 blocks over a 2-game stretch. Donavan’s scoring effectiveness is noted in his 87 PSP rating as an individual scorer, 78 3PEfficiency rating as a floor-stretching forward, and 83 ATR as a rim finisher in the paint.
Not enough film was taken of Donavan Freeman, a legitimate NBA prospect with bankable aspects to his game that should translate to every level he reaches going forward.

It’s not every day a prospect as tall as Donnie can create his own shot, dribble on the drive, finish at the rim, stretch the floor from deep, and use his height and length effectively to be an absolutely disruptive defender.

Against Brewster, Donnie Freeman showed smooth scoring chops along with dribble pass skills, notable for his height, featuring a mean stutter rip drive and dribble drive rim-finishing capabilties.
"

Theres more in the article so definitely worth checking out if interested, id recommend searching for Donnies name specifically as its quite long to read through the entire article.
I have only seen a few clips. He’s our next “Syracuse forward” and all that term represents: good shooter, rebounds, good handle, willing and able passer, etc.
I know folks are big on Choppa, but this guy is a pro, who hopefully will be playing for us for at least one year, maybe more with good NIL. I think he would be the best player on our team this year.

When I attended the Peach Jam this past summer, I saw a number of good players. While I did not see all the games and all the players, out of the games I saw over two days, the best players were Cooper Flagg, Jalil Bethea, Donnie Freeman and Anicet Dybantsa, Jr. There were other good players like Freeman’s teammate, Darren Harris, Dylan Harper and Jason Richardson, Jon Bol…... The four players I mentioned first were outstanding in one or more aspects of the game (offensive, defensive, ball-handling, speed, rebounding, etc).

Flagg, Bethea and Freeman were the best all round overall players in that tournament. You could tell barring injuries that each would have potentially great futures. Donavan Freeman is a player that Syracuse will remember and be glad he is on our team.

The classic Syracuse forward, is DC, Billy Owens, John Wallace, and Melo.
Let's wait and see if he is half as good before we elevate him as a star.
Those players are all remarkably different

Donnie is not the 'classic Syracuse forward'. He is considerably better than that
Not trying to be argumentative, but I would like to understand your definition of 'classic Syracuse forward'?

Mine is an inside-outside, versatile forward that can score in a variety of ways.

Carmelo, DC, Owens, Wes Johnson, Kris Joseph, CJ Fair, John Wallace. All 6-7 and up, all could dribble enough for their size and do the things above. That's my prototype SU forward.

Jerami Grant & Hakim Warrick were not classic SU forwards but they still had multiple ways they could do damage, too.

I might put Freeman into a mix of both groups. He'd do well to be in this company. I think he will be soon enough.