Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Obviously still have this season and hope this season finishes strong and we make the tourney as we are starting to play strong basketball. But hard not to think of what can be next year…I really don’t think people realize just how good this kid is

Starling
Westry (hopefully fully healthy)
Freeman
Maliq
(Transfer center)

Bench:
Copeland
Benny
Moore
Cuffe
McLeod
Patterson
Bell?
(Transfer wing)

Moving on:
Mintz
Carey
Taylor
Hima

It is ok. Sometimes you have to move on and never look back
The key is to get a McDonald's All American to stick around for multiple years. Look how well North Carolina is doing. I remember when Bacot was a McDonald's All American back in 1986. He went up against our own Derrick Coleman and Stevie Thompson.

Obviously still have this season and hope this season finishes strong and we make the tourney as we are starting to play strong basketball. But hard not to think of what can be next year…I really don’t think people realize just how good this kid is

Starling
Freeman
Maliq
(Transfer center)

Bench:
Copeland
Benny
Moore
Cuffe
McLeod
Patterson
Bell?
(Transfer wing)

Moving on:
Mintz
Carey
Taylor
Hima
CuseMan, I appreciate your insight into the team but I will be surprised if JT moves on. I feel that there is a better chance that Bell or Benny Williams move on before JT.

I guess the rest of the season willing the telling point. If JT does not improve his game performance/offensive contribution, then his time next year will greatly reduced.

However, the same can be said about Bell in relation to his defensive capabilities. I believe that he is trying but he needs to stop being beat to the basket by the man he is guarding.

Regarding Benny, he haas contributed more since his “suspension“. Not sure if he will stay but he needs to concentrate on scoring inside vice from the three point circle. He has the ability to be really good inside player. His outside shot is too flat to be effective. It is more suited from the foul line area. He could be deadly working inside if someone could get him the ball there.

The key is to get a McDonald's All American to stick around for multiple years. Look how well North Carolina is doing. I remember when Bacot was a McDonald's All American back in 1986. He went up against our own Derrick Coleman and Stevie Thompson.
Ha, ha... but we need him to be one and done no later than mid-first round. Gotta show that we can once again send em to the league.

I don't watch or follow the NBA at all. Did DB make it to the league?
Yes. Was drafted first round and stuck in the NBA for a few years. Actually had two solid seasons in OKC.

Starling
Freeman
Maliq
(Transfer center)

Bench:
Copeland
Benny
Moore
Cuffe
McLeod
Patterson
Bell?
(Transfer wing)

Moving on:
Mintz
Carey
Taylor
Hima
I wouldn't count out Cope in the starting lineup...

Starling
Freeman
Maliq
(Transfer center)

Bench:
Copeland
Benny
Moore
Cuffe
McLeod
Patterson
Bell?
(Transfer wing)

Moving on:
Mintz
Carey
Taylor
Hima
Not sold on JJ at the point. His handle isn’t tight enough and he favors driving right.

Starling
Freeman
Maliq
(Transfer center)

Bench:
Copeland
Benny
Moore
Cuffe
McLeod
Patterson
Bell?
(Transfer wing)

Moving on:
Mintz
Carey
Taylor
I like the kid a lot but he is playing on a high school team with a losing record.

Starling
Freeman
Maliq
(Transfer center)

Bench:
Copeland
Benny
Moore
Cuffe
McLeod
Patterson
Bell?
(Transfer wing)

Moving on:
Mintz
Carey
Taylor
Hima
I am going to assume that I will never see Chance Westry play basketball for Syracuse until I see him play basketball for Syracuse.

Starling
Freeman
Maliq
(Transfer center)

Bench:
Copeland
Benny
Moore
Cuffe
McLeod
Patterson
Bell?
(Transfer wing)

Moving on:
Mintz
Carey
Taylor
Hima
Autry needs to hit the portal hard and over recruit some guys for next year. It’s the nature of the business and all the top teams are doing it now more than ever with the transfer portal. We haven’t been ranked in the top 25 in January/February in 10 YEARS!!! Here’s what I think will and/or would like to see happen with the roster for next year:

Moving on:
Mintz (NBA)
Carey
Taylor (love his toughness but he’s struggled this year and he will get recruited over)
Hima
Benny (he’s clashed with two coaches, probably time for him to move on)
Bell (not sure if he’ll leave or not but he’s a one trick pony and I can see Autry trying to fill his spot with a tougher two way player)

Roster in no particular order:
Guards:
JJ
Copeland
Westry (will he ever be healthy?)
Moore (hopefully adds some much needed shooting)
Cuffe
Transfer PG (preferably an upper classman)

Forwards:
Freeman
Brown
Versatile transfer who can shoot and defend

Center:
Transfer
McLeod
Patterson

No more having 4 project centers. No more having only one forward with Brown playing mostly center. Need to balance it out and get back to Cuse basketball of old!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom