Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Donnie won't be a savior, but I think he'll probably play 25 minutes a game as part of a 3 or 4 man rotation at forward. How much Choppa Moore plays will depend on his 3 point shooting. He has some similarities in his game to how Judah plays.
Thats a reasonable take for Freeman. Not sure on Moore being similar to Judah, Judah wants the ball in his hands and attacks the paint, I see more of scorer/shooter with Moore.

Moore has great form on his shot. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our best shooter next year, even as a freshman. Of course, that is dependent upon his form not changing. Somehow, we seem to have a way of screwing up player's shooting form.

Well, we seem to have fixed JJ's problem. GMac had pretty excellent form, and has tutored some very good shooters.

Well, we seem to have fixed JJ's problem. GMac had pretty excellent form, and has tutored some very good shooters.
I don't think JJ is quite fixed. But, he's getting there. I think Copeland's form is getting better. But, whoever told JT that he should shoot from way over his head needs to smacked. Benny has always had a weird elbow thing. Judah needs quite a bit of work on his form.

First off your comparing a junior in high school to NBA veterans. Next I would challenge you to actually watch an NBA game because you clearly do not. Let me know what you see from the PF position. You will not see two big men on the floor together. You don't need to be physically dominant to play the position in todays NBA. Donnie is 6-9, if you were to throw him out there with a guy who's 6-10 and a 7 footer they would get eaten alive by the guard play. Also just want to put it out there that you are absolutely out of your mind if you think that Devin Booker is 6-7.

I watch the Knicks and the "game of the night" for at least 20-30 minutes every night. The Knicks play Hartenstein and Randle, 2 bigs. Boston plays Porzingas and Horford. The Bucks play Giannis and Middleton. The Timberwolves play Towns and Gobert. What are you talking about, that NBA teams don't play 2 big anymore?

OK, Booker is "only" 6-6, not 6-7, and weighs 205, not 220.

Screen Shot 2024-02-02 at 12.59.26 PM.png

I don't think JJ is quite fixed. But, he's getting there. I think Copeland's form is getting better. But, whoever told JT that he should shoot from way over his head needs to smacked. Benny has always had a weird elbow thing. Judah needs quite a bit of work on his form.

Well, at least the hitch is gone, and he's been shooting close to 40% from three for the last month. That's great progress.

Kevin Durant has averaged like 7-8 boards and 1-1.5 blocks a game his entire career i dont know why we’re acting like he’s some useless bum down there with the trees

Kevin Durant has averaged like 7-8 boards and 1-1.5 blocks a game his entire career i dont know why we’re acting like he’s some useless bum down there with the trees

We're not. He's a great player. My point is that Freeman's body type is more Kevin Durant than Carmelo Anthony. Anthony had a strong lower body, and was powerful working along the baseline. I just don't see that in Freeman's game. I see more of a Durant kind of player - very skillful and athletic for his size, just not a bruiser playing defense down low against somebody else's 5. He's not built like a John Wallace. He looks less strong than somebody like C.J. Fair, even. Not to say he can't be a great player, but that what he looks like to me.

I watch the Knicks and the "game of the night" for at least 20-30 minutes every night. The Knicks play Hartenstein and Randle, 2 bigs. Boston plays Porzingas and Horford. The Bucks play Giannis and Middleton. The Timberwolves play Towns and Gobert. What are you talking about, that NBA teams don't play 2 big anymore?

OK, Booker is "only" 6-6, not 6-7, and weighs 205, not 220.

View attachment 237266
The T-wolves are really the only team in the nba that actually plays two bigs and it’s because of how offensively talented KAT is. Randle is not a traditional big he’s a playmaker at the forward position. Middleton is 6-7 and plays more like a guard, he’s definitely not a big man. Brook Lopez is the center for Milwaukee and is able to play with Giannis because of how well he’s able to move at 6-11. That’s what makes him Giannis and that’s why he’s an MVP. Al horford is a good example of if you shoot 40% from three you’re going to be able to space the floor and play with another traditional big inside.

My point is you don’t need to be built like LeBron or Julius Randle to play the PF position in today’s nba. Donnie is 6-9 and has great length if he gets to 220 he’ll be fine. A good example of this is Brandon Miller the 2nd pick in the draft plays the 4 at times he’s listed at 6-7 200 lbs. Kid just won Rookie of the Month. Just want to make it clear we do agree on something because I don’t think Donnie’s a lock to be a one and done.

Also I would say Bookers 6-5 on a good day and Jayson Tatum is nowhere near 30 lbs heavier than Donnie. Donnie is up to 205 and Tatum is listed at 210.

Agree. But if we aren’t including Brown in with the forwards that isn’t that hard to do.
Very different players. Love Brown, but he is (currently) limited. But I love that he stays in his limits. That is an often overlooked plus.

My limited view of Donnie’s videos is that he will be a 3 level scorer.

Maliq is a one level guy at this time. I think he could have a mid-range game as well.

Donnie only weighs 190 right now. Kevin Durant, as a 35 year old professional, with 15 years of NBA weight and fitness training, still only weighs 240. Donnie is not going to add 30 pounds in 1 year, or he's going to lose his speed and endurance. It's too much, too soon.

Billy Owens weighed 220. Carmelo was 190 in HS, but was 210 by the time he got on campus. We have to see how Donnie works on his body, but it's asking a lot for him to change it so much in so little time.

Now do Hakim.

Just for comparison purposes, Benny is listed at 6'9 on the Syracuse roster. His weight is listed at 210.

Donnie is generally also listed these days at 6'9. An article in the PS in January said he weighed 205 at that time. It also said that since enrolled at IMG, and getting exposed to a college level nutrition and weight lifting program, he had put on 10 pounds. That is about 2 pounds a month.

I think it is reasonable to expect he will continue to get stronger the rest of his time at IMG and through the summer and into the fall when he is at SU. If anything, he is likely to put on more muscle during the summer, when he doesn't have games and practices and extensive travel to deal with.

But let's be conservative and stick with his current weight gain trajectory. But this time 12/3/2024, he should be 18 pounds heavier, or 223 pounds. This is when he will start playing against good quality competition in college.

That would be 13 pounds heavier than Benny is now.

One pound heavier than Maliq Brown is now.

Now I don't think Donnie is going to play center at Syracuse. If he does, it will be in emergency situations, like Benny has done this season.

But IMHO, he will be plenty big enough and strong enough to play the 4 for us. From day one. His rebounding numbers in the summer and this season at IMG clearly show this. The fact that the SU staff is telling him to focus on improving his rebounding also would point to them expecting to play him at the 4.

I don't disagree that he is talented enough to play some 3 and perhaps he might do some of this.

But I see him playing the vast majority of his minutes at the 4 for us next year and probably for his whole career (which might only be a season).

It looks to me as though Maliq is going to be our center next year. He is too good to sit on the bench, as is Donnie. He has already proven he can handle playing center. I don't think he will ever be a great rebounder or shot blocker but when paired with a 4 who can also rebound and block shots, his deficiencies match well with Donnie's strengths.

Excited to see what those two can do working together in the paint.

I don’t see much of a similarity at all. Sure, Moore attacks the basket, but he‘s also a great three point shooter and has a great mid range jumper off the bounce. We currently have no one, except maybe a little JJ that can do that.
Yeah, I don't see many similarities between their games. They both play guard, that's about it.

Mintz is a penetrator first, whose shot is developing. He scores a large amount of his points taking contested shots near the basket and getting free throws as a result.

Moore is a very good shooter first. Everything else about his offensive game is secondary. He didn't even have any dribble penetration highlights when he committed. Everything was threes and breakaway dunks. He apparently has worked hard on his dribble game, and has had some impressive drives to the basket, but he's only good enough to be a threat if they crowd him at the line. Moore is nowhere near the weapon Mintz is when going to the basket.

The pair of Freeman and Moore will both be rotation players, it works be good for the team if they are able to push returning players down the rotation, because that would mean the team is better.

Last edited:
Donnie only weighs 190 right now. Kevin Durant, as a 35 year old professional, with 15 years of NBA weight and fitness training, still only weighs 240. Donnie is not going to add 30 pounds in 1 year, or he's going to lose his speed and endurance. It's too much, too soon.

Billy Owens weighed 220. Carmelo was 190 in HS, but was 210 by the time he got on campus. We have to see how Donnie works on his body, but it's asking a lot for him to change it so much in so little time.
Anyone remember Derrick Coleman as a freshman? He was a bean pole.
No one really knows how any of these guys' frames are going to develop. It’s so individual with many variables.

Benny had an open 10 footer on Saturday that didn't get high enough to clear the front of the rim.
It would have been perfect execution for a FT attempt down 2 points with 1 second to play. Not so much for a jump shot that he's trying to make.

Anyone remember Derrick Coleman as a freshman? He was a bean pole.
No one really knows how any of these guys' frames are going to develop. It’s so individual with many variables.
But DC had an attitude even back then, he felt he was the best player on the floor.
And he was the best player in the McDonald's Game.

Benny had an open 10 footer on Saturday that didn't get high enough to clear the front of the rim.
It would have been perfect execution for a FT attempt down 2 points with 1 second to play. Not so much for a jump shot that he's trying to make.

I know they have shooting guns that measure ARC on shots. Seems like a easy fix

But DC had an attitude even back then, he felt he was the best player on the floor.
And he was the best player in the McDonald's Game.
I still recall the McD’s game when he took the rebound, beat a guy at mid-court with a behind the back dribble, and then passed off for a dunk.
I said f JR Reid and Terry Mills. The best player in the count is coming to SU.

Good for Donnie! Glad his play and work is getting noticed.

Side note...
I get to see Ace Bailey play in person tomorrow. His squad comes to the high school I coach at.
I brought the fam to watch Ace Bailey (#2 ranked player in the nation) last night after our match. He had 26 points, 19 rebounds, 7 blocks, and probably at least 5 assists & 5 steals. The alley oop windmill and-one dunk has to be one of best high school highlights of the year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom