Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did he commit? Wasn't it during his junior year?

Seem to recall him being rated around #40 when we landed him --very good recruit, but not necessarily elite. Then he grew and jumped in the ratings. And obviously played at Oak Hill as a senior, so him being ~#8 makes sense after junior season.

EDIT -- here's some good information about Carmelo's recruitment, from Troy Weaver:

Poliquin: Syracuse 'got on' Carmelo Anthony early, and he never wavered once it did
i didn't follow things closely back then, but wasn't he like a 2 guard when we first got on him? then he had a late growth spurt and grew to forward size without losing his coordination (as so many with late growth spurts do)

i didn't follow things closely back then, but wasn't he like a 2 guard when we first got on him? then he had a late growth spurt and grew to forward size without losing his coordination (as so many with late growth spurts do)

I think so -- I remember him being 6-5 or so at the time he committed. Then, boom.

Thanks for sharing. His footwork in traffic is really impressive. No wasted moves or bringing the ball down to get stripped. His offensive game is looking pretty polished with some of those shooting drills also.

I still see a lot of Anthony Mason in his game. Aggressive finisher, good instincts as a passer. Can back his man down but flat out goes to war on the boards. High IQ player and has a mid range jump shot in is arsenal. Just ages from the head case Mason was at times.

I’ve got a

175D893C-4BC6-41E0-BF1F-59F5C0E11E48.jpeg

I read with great interest that he and his family were, "particularly interested in the Whitman School of Management." Does anyone know, is education actually going to play an important role in his decision?

If so, could that be another advantage for SU?

I read with great interest that he and his family were, "particularly interested in the Whitman School of Management." Does anyone know, is education actually going to play an important role in his decision?

Yeah that caught my eye too. Curious for a sure fire one and done guy. Certainly not a bad thing at all... speaks well of the kid's character. Maybe he's already planning to get his degree during NBA offseasons or something to that effect. Hope he likes what he found out.

Yeah that caught my eye too. Curious for a sure fire one and done guy. Certainly not a bad thing at all... speaks well of the kid's character. Maybe he's already planning to get his degree during NBA offseasons or something to that effect. Hope he likes what he found out.

I think this is the reason people thought he was particularly interested in Notre Dame and Georgetown. Not sure why they aren’t still in the picture.

If that’s the case I could see UK being out. They told DC he didn’t even have to take classes and he was offended by that. The undergrad management program at SU is underrated IMO. It’s at least served me well in my professional life.

I recall him being around 30-40 when we first started hearing a lot about him and SU’s involvement on here. I remember Mason writing about him.

Seems like he just steadily rose up the rankings. At some point along that rise, he committed to SU and then continued to rise.

I remember him as a junior year spring time committ?

I just fired up the my old backup drives and found the first article I wrote on Carmelo.

He was #16 when he committed. Listed at 6'7" but apparently he was a 6'3" PG the year before, when he was ranked #37, which was when we started looking at him closely.

I will also say that the people related to the program that I talked to all were insanely excited and the unanimous feeling was that he would be a top 5 player in the class by the time final rankings came out. They knew they had scored a MAJOR talent. I remember thinking at the time "wow, it's really bold to say a guy ranked #16 in the country is massively underrated." (Interesting I was told the same thing about Paul Harris from the same people...)

I think this is the reason people thought he was particularly interested in Notre Dame and Georgetown. Not sure why they aren’t still in the picture.

If that’s the case I could see UK being out. They told DC he didn’t even have to take classes and he was offended by that. The undergrad management program at SU is underrated IMO. It’s at least served me well in my professional life.
Could very well be. Could completely see Stewart asking about education and Cal responding with "You won't ever have to study here."

Looks like Brian Snow just predicted Stewart to Washington recently on the crystal ball. Grant it is before the Syracuse trip

i'd have to say at best a push;
u-dub's foster & duke's fugua are both highly regarded b-schools

Status
Not open for further replies.