Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this in lies the issue with the program right now. The coaches can work as hard as they want for as long as they want with players like JP and Flip, but the second the other schools come in it’s borderline over because of the lack of draft picks, success, and being on the bubble for the last decade. That article was actually quite fair and it’s reality unfortunately. Not that this is new information, but these kids are waiting on better offers constantly especially with NIL now

Well said, my friend. Hey, look a few years back at recruits like Quade Green and Jordan Tucker. SU was "thought" to be in great shape with both of them, then UK and Duke, respectively, swooped in late and won out. Stinks, but I agree, it's reality!!

Well said, my friend. Hey, look a few years back at recruits like Quade Green and Jordan Tucker. SU was "thought" to be in great shape with both of them, then UK and Duke, respectively, swooped in late and won out. Stinks, but I agree, it's reality!!
Good example of two recruits that ended up regretting their selection of schools and ended up transferring and basically becoming also rans Or never wases..

Tucker and Quade are examples of players who chose the wrong schools over Cuse being that they went to programs where they had little chance of getting quality minutes to shine and succeed. Estrella is not a blue blood one and done guy and will get over-recruited with a McDonald All-American every year if he ends up at Duke. At most, he will be a solid 4 year off the bench player, if he's okay with that. It must be a great honor to receive an offer from Duke or Kentucky, but some of these 3,4 star kids, and even 5 need a level headed person in their camp who can be honest with them about the best path to success. As many guys as the big 2 or 3 schools have put in the league, there are a bunch of 5 star, sure fire pros who never made it because of lack of playing time and/or who left early to make room for the next stars (Ashton Hagans, Khalil Whitney, Dakari Johnson, Trevon Duval, Chase Jeter, just to name a few). Going to Duke would be a big mistake for Estrella.

Tucker and Quade are examples of players who chose the wrong schools over Cuse being that they went to programs where they had little chance of getting quality minutes to shine and succeed. Estrella is not a blue blood one and done guy and will get over-recruited with a McDonald All-American every year if he ends up at Duke. At most, he will be a solid 4 year off the bench player, if he's okay with that. It must be a great honor to receive an offer from Duke or Kentucky, but some of these 3,4 star kids, and even 5 need a level headed person in their camp who can be honest with them about the best path to success. As many guys as the big 2 or 3 schools have put in the league, there are a bunch of 5 star, sure fire pros who never made it because of lack of playing time and/or who left early to make room for the next stars (Ashton Hagans, Khalil Whitney, Dakari Johnson, Trevon Duval, Chase Jeter, just to name a few). Going to Duke would be a big mistake for Estrella.
I mean QG played 25 minutes a game his first year at Kentucky. His issue was that Kentucky is built to have guys make a quick impact and jump to the NBA, and he wasn't ready for that. He got stuck on a treadmill.

Juice Man got stars in his eyes with Duke.

If you’re a good enough basketball player to get offers from these kinds of programs you don’t think that way. High level athletes don’t think it matters who else they bring in because you have to believe that you’re better than whoever that could be.

That’s part of what makes the best athletes, the best athletes. The sometimes irrational belief that you can beat out anyone else on or above your level.

If top-50 recruit JP was worried that Dook is going to recruit over him then he probably isn’t cut out for blue blood basketball anyways. He only has a chance if he thinks he is better than he is.

Not saying that he should go to Dook, just that his thought process has to be different than that or else he’s probably not built to be an elite basketball player.

If you’re a good enough basketball player to get offers from these kinds of programs you don’t think that way. High level athletes don’t think it matters who else they bring in because you have to believe that you’re better than whoever that could be.

That’s part of what makes the best athletes, the best athletes. The sometimes irrational belief that you can beat out anyone else on or above your level.

If top-50 recruit JP was worried that Dook is going to recruit over him then he probably isn’t cut out for blue blood basketball anyways. He only has a chance if he thinks he is better than he is.

Not saying that he should go to Dook, just that his thought process has to be different than that or else he’s probably not built to be an elite basketball player.
I disagree. You can be a top level athlete who believe in yourself but you also need to be realistic about your potential, readiness and playing time/years needed to get to a certain level, along with who is ranked ahead of you and the guarantees/promises made to them. Yes Quade got 25 minutes as a freshman but on another quality D1 program he could have gotten that or more and definitely 30 plus minutes going forward. At Kentucky the next 1 or 2 freshman guards that came in did eat into his sophomore minutes. On top of that, being 5'10 or 11 max, with other taller and longer guards around you, Cal can start getting cute and pull you when opposing guards are taller or you get exploited on a play. Same thing would have happened to Cole Anthony if he went to Kentucky but he went to a school where he was handed the keys and not picked apart because of his height and defense liabilities. Confidence is great but can be confused with arrogance and delusion. With Tucker, there was no clear path to get quality playing time his freshman year, and I believe by the time he committed to Duke (early July) of his freshman year, Zion, Cam and Barrett had already committed for the following year, (Tucker's sophomore year) and were ranked 1 to 3 in the country. Mo Bamba played it right when UK continued to pursue him after locking up Nick Richards and still had a few big men holdovers. I believe it was Texas where Mo went and the team sucked but he got his playing time and showed what he could do and became a lottery pick. If he went to UK he most likely would be another Dakari Johnson playing behind KAT.

And this in lies the issue with the program right now. The coaches can work as hard as they want for as long as they want with players like JP and Flip, but the second the other schools come in it’s borderline over because of the lack of draft picks, success, and being on the bubble for the last decade. That article was actually quite fair and it’s reality unfortunately. Not that this is new information, but these kids are waiting on better offers constantly especially with NIL now
At one point like 4-5 years ago (after Malachi and Lydon went first round), we had the most first and second round drafts picks in the prior 7 or 8 seasons than any school except for those handful of blue bloods. How did we fall behind so quickly? It does seem to coincide with Hop leaving (and JB continuing to hang on).

Last edited:
Even though he said that, I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling that JP is going to take an OV to the Hill. If he had wanted to, wouldn't he have scheduled one by now?

Even though he said that, I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling that JP is going to take an OV to the Hill. If he had wanted to, wouldn't he have scheduled one by now?
It sounds like the staff is working it hard. If he visits, we at least have a shot.

He’s been to SU.

Not for an official visit. That's a whole other ballgame.
I understand, but if he didn’t feel comfortable or like the place before, he might not feel the need to come back. I’m not saying this is how he feels, but a lot of thoughts go into the heads of recruits. If Adam was ever to put a NIL deal in place, JP might be a great place to start. His style of play would flourish at SU.

I understand, but if he didn’t feel comfortable or like the place before, he might not feel the need to come back. I’m not saying this is how he feels, but a lot of thoughts go into the heads of recruits. If Adam was ever to put a NIL deal in place, JP might be a great place to start. His style of play would flourish at SU.
Completely agree. So Duke has commitments from 4 guys. One at every position except center. They are currently pursuing a 6'11" 215lb power forward that has shot up the rankings. If they land him, that is their perceived center. So, Estrella would be their 6th man...just of their freshmen. That doesn't seem ideal. He would be a star here, he would be their lowest ranked recruit, by a large margin. As others have said, he would be recruited over quickly. It doesn't mean that he wouldn't be as good as those other guys and develop, but if you get those highly rated guys and want to continue to get those highly rated guys, you play them, even if there is a more experienced guy behind them.

Edit: Furthermore, I think the reason he hasn't committed to Duke is because they are slow playing him waiting on Xavier Booker.

Last edited:

Estrella said he is considering taking a visit to Syracuse before he makes his decision before his senior season at Brewster Academy.
Well this is a positive development, but I don't see a scenario where this kid ends up in Orange at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom