Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your gonna jump on the social media comment? You’ve gone away from your original point and complaint. Good for you.
pwong nailed it above. You are getting caught up in the marketing spin that Syracuse is trying to portray to the outside world that they are "on top of it" and working this NIL angle and they really aren't. I'm not saying the School needs Adam W to sit outside visits with a bag but there's ALOT of things that other schools are doing including college bball programs that we aren't. It's coming from JB on down. He's not interested in the NIL side of the house, so it's not going to be a pressing thing until he's gone. Our big lacrosse recruit is going to be the biggest NIL earner from the school (maybe sans Tucker this year), think that's a good look for our bball program?

You said the social media comment, not me.

pwong nailed it above. You are getting caught up in the marketing spin that Syracuse is trying to portray to the outside world that they are "on top of it" and working this NIL angle and they really aren't. I'm not saying the School needs Adam W to sit outside visits with a bag but there's ALOT of things that other schools are doing including college bball programs that we aren't. It's coming from JB on down. He's not interested in the NIL side of the house, so it's not going to be a pressing thing until he's gone. Our big lacrosse recruit is going to be the biggest NIL earner from the school (maybe sans Tucker this year), think that's a good look for our bball program?

You said the social media comment, not me.

So what should SU be doing that they aren’t? Did you read the full article I posted? Marketing spin? Lol. I guess johns meetings with businesses and individuals didn’t happen. It’s not just words. And while we’re small potatoes SU gave us all the support we needed to compliantly get through the process. But it’s all marketing spin and didn’t happen. Have you thought about starting a collective? With your contacts you might be able to reach out to significant boosters. You don’t need anyones permission. You just have to be complainant and SU will help you with that. We’ll even give you suggestions we learned as we went through it.

And the social media comment is a real thing for many of not lost athletes. Is it a thing for the A&M kids? No. The $8m kid? No. The $3m transfer? No. The Ruiz kids in Miami? No. But those are the outliers. When NIL got passed and became a thing there was article after article about social media and the role it would play. The Alabama QB was identified as someone with a zillion followers. The Paige girl at UConn. Who’s a business gonna want come and sign autographs? The kid with 100 followers or 5,000? People tossing around millions don’t care about social media. They are doing it for different reasons.

Honestly don't want to get dragged into this horribly derailed thread, but perhaps everyone who posted here what a terrible job SU is doing in supporting NIL initiatives would be willing to share how much they have contributed to NIL initiatives. I'll hang up and listen.

Honestly don't want to get dragged into this horribly derailed thread, but perhaps everyone who posted here what a terrible job SU is doing in supporting NIL initiatives would be willing to share how much they have contributed to NIL initiatives. I'll hang up and listen.
My take is that NIL is not something universities are doing. No university is opening up their endowment to pay athletes to come to their school. No school is allocating money from the general fund to get recruits to commit to them.

This is not legal and even schools like Miami and Texas A&M are not doing this.

Many schools are paying their players now for academic performance. This is now legal. Syracuse is do this as well. They are doing all they can given the rules the NCAA has in place.

If you have a beef with NIL and how it is affecting recruiting for the athletic Syracuse programs, it should be with the fan base. This is where NIL money comes from. Either directly out of fan's pockets or by fan's working with corporate sponsors and getting them to contribute to the collectives they have set up.

Some of you seem to think the athletic department should be giving BMWs to recruits and giving out $50K contracts to everyone on the football team to make the football program more attractive.

Again, this is illegal. If other athletic programs are doing it, it is against the NCAA rules. I don't know of any school who has even been accused of this. It is all done by boosters.

SUAD has set up a web site anyone can register on where you can see all the athletes on current SU teams that are interested in NIL opportunities. There are search functions to if you want to find a football player from your old HS, or a tennis player who likes pizza, or whatever, you can do it. There are mechanisms build into the site to contact athletes, propose deals and for the athletes to accept them. I think it handles payments too. One stop shopping and the best thing about it is that the boosters and the athletes are guided through the process and everything that happens is tracked. So when it comes tax time, the athletes have one place that holds all the money they have earned and how much tax they owe.

The site ensures NCAA regulations are met and the athletes do not break any laws. It is NIL for Idiots and right now, I have great confidence saying everyone dealing with NIL assuredly needs help understanding how it works.

Some schools have simply posted a list of athletes and their social media contact info. IMHO, that is not a good way to handle NIL and it will inevitably drive a lot of kooks to contact athletes and waste their time. Athletes will not track their earnings well and have big issues when they have to settle up with the IRS on tax day.

If SU athletes are not getting their 'fair share' of NIL money, it is not SUAD's fault. It is my fault. And your fault. And every other fan of SU athletics fault.

We are the ones we are going to make or break NIL for the SU athletes.

Consigliere has a good point. If you are not happy, get on the web site, get vetted by SUAD, find an athlete, make a proposal to give them some money and then write a check.

More than any other time in the history of college athletics, it is 'put up shut up' time. I hope a lot of the great passionate SU fans out there look to help SU sports and help some of the great athletes we have the pleasure of watching and rooting for.

Problem is, he picked the wrong guy to make that response to.
Well my point was that it is difficult to tell who he was responding to. If it’s the preceding post, then yes it was pretty dumb.

There will be a real NIL group associated with SU announced in the near future.

You mean our average fan football collective isn’t “real”? LOL. John said there would be a collective before the fall semester and I have faith in him and our boosters. Glad to hear it’ll be soon.

You mean our average fan football collective isn’t “real”? LOL. John said there would be a collective before the fall semester and I have faith in him and our boosters. Glad to here it’ll be soon.

Ha - you know what I mean :)

Getting back to JP, he's done visits to Marquette and Tennessee, I believe. Iowa coming in July. I assume he will take OVs to Duke and Kansas. Not feeling good about SU's chances here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom