Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s waiting for better offers. He wants to see a lot of different styles of programs too. This is just so standard how the recruiting has gone lately. Work your butt off for years with a kid to have him wait on other schools. Frustrating

He’s waiting for better offers. He wants to see a lot of different styles of programs too. This is just so standard how the recruiting has gone lately. Work your butt off for years with a kid to have him wait on other schools. Frustrating
With respect to Estrella, I agree. It looks like he is interested in what’s out there. If Duke doesn’t sign him, Iowa the next in line may. Does not seem like Syracuse is in the top 3 at this moment. Things change (like Duke chasing another recruit for its last scholarship),

Was hoping that Syracuse could land Estrella or another tall power forward type with the ability to rebound and score inside.

Not many of that type are on Syracuse’s list of recruits. Kante, Estrella and Miranda. More and more I hope Malik Brown really comes on quickly and produces for 4 years

With respect to Estrella, I agree. It looks like he is interested in what’s out there. If Duke doesn’t sign him, Iowa the next in line may. Does not seem like Syracuse is in the top 3 at this moment. Things change (like Duke chasing another recruit for its last scholarship),

Was hoping that Syracuse could land Estrella or another tall power forward type with the ability to rebound and score inside.

Not many of that type are on Syracuse’s list of recruits. Kante, Estrella and Miranda. More and more I hope Malik Brown really comes on quickly and produces for 4 years
Estrella would be perfect for us next year. Not looking great so I’m with you hoping that Maliq develops quickly because we need him. There’s a chance Peter Carey turns out to be more of a PF (small chance probably as he’s clearly been a center but I think there’s a chance he can develop forward skills and his height would dominate a forward without getting pushed around as much - we will find out soon). For Carey to play forward we would need him to have the capability plus we would need Mounir to develop into a good center or else the tallest 4 will play the 5. Speaking about 2023 of course. I think 2023 will end up being portal-heavy for us, for better or worse. Anyways, really wanted Estrella…

I'll be happy if Carey turns out to be a useful center for us. We need more evidence of that before we count on any versatility.

Somebody please post a catalogue of all known videos of Peter Carey playing in game action.
It ought to be an enlightening 30 seconds in which we can decide which of five positions he can play. :) ;)

He will be a better player than Marek.
Whoa, Marek was not a center. He unselfishly allowed himself to be played out of position for 90% of his career at Syracuse, but Marek was one hell of a player. He was a glue guy. Marek knew how to play basketball from day one here. Carey has to learn how to play basketball still. I believe he will be great here, but I don't expect him to be much of a contributor until he is an upperclassman. I hope I am wrong.

Whoa, Marek was not a center. He unselfishly allowed himself to be played out of position for 90% of his career at Syracuse, but Marek was one hell of a player. He was a glue guy. Marek knew how to play basketball from day one here. Carey has to learn how to play basketball still. I believe he will be great here, but I don't expect him to be much of a contributor until he is an upperclassman. I hope I am wrong.
The kid's raw athletic ability screams on the videos. He is incredibly aggressive for a big guy. Great timing on blocks and grabs rebounds up high. A very thin Seikaly like player.

The kid's raw athletic ability screams on the videos. He is incredibly aggressive for a big guy. Great timing on blocks and grabs rebounds up high. A very thin Seikaly like player.
Yeah man, I see it. I just don't think that the skill is at the level of a guy that has played years in the European system. This kid is raw and has all the ability to be a star at the college level and surpass Marek's college production. But, Marek came in as easily a college level player, despite his body type. I don't know crap about how this will unfold, but I look forward to seeing the development of all these guys. But, I see Carey as a guy with height and athleticism to star at this level. But, his development is not at the level of a European guy like Marek.

Yeah man, I see it. I just don't think that the skill is at the level of a guy that has played years in the European system. This kid is raw and has all the ability to be a star at the college level and surpass Marek's college production. But, Marek came in as easily a college level player, despite his body type. I don't know crap about how this will unfold, but I look forward to seeing the development of all these guys. But, I see Carey as a guy with height and athleticism to star at this level. But, his development is not at the level of a European guy like Marek.
I am not discounting Marek, I just see Carey as a future star. Could be wrong.

I am not discounting Marek, I just see Carey as a future star. Could be wrong.
I hope you aren't. And, I don' think you are wrong. Personally, I think it is going to take a couple of years. But, I don't know anything.

I think Carey plays get limited minutes this year, splits time with Hima next year and then plays very well at both forward and center as a junior.

How well he plays as a forward determines whether he's still here to star as a senior.

I don't think he can play center in the NBA with his body. He will have to add weight his frame can't really support, or range he hasn't begun to demonstrate.

Good for us, Carey might stick around long enough to be a great one for us.

Last edited:
There’s a big difference between the two. Carey is a great athlete. Marek is a basketball player who’s also pretty athletic. Their skill sets are not even close. If we don't over rerecruit Carey, we’re in trouble.

There’s a big difference between the two. Carey is a great athlete. Marek is a basketball player who’s also pretty athletic. Their skill sets are not even close. If we don't over rerecruit Carey, we’re in trouble.
Carey is an athletic big with bounce and very little basketball skills. I believe his max would be a 4 year guy who defends well at the rim, rebounds and offensively attacks the rim aggressively by trying to dunk every time he gets the ball (Frank Anslem).

Coaches, fans, scouts all get excited about athletic bigs and their "potential" and look pass essentials like skills, awareness/understanding of the game, and certain things that are instinctive and can't be taught. The little I've seen of Carey, he doesn't look like a basketball player to get excited about but someone who can contribute in a limited way by using his athleticism wisely.

Carey is an athletic big with bounce and very little basketball skills. I believe his max would be a 4 year guy who defends well at the rim, rebounds and offensively attacks the rim aggressively by trying to dunk every time he gets the ball (Frank Anslem).

Coaches, fans, scouts all get excited about athletic bigs and their "potential" and look pass essentials like skills, awareness/understanding of the game, and certain things that are instinctive and can't be taught. The little I've seen of Carey, he doesn't look like a basketball player to get excited about but someone who can contribute in a limited way by using his athleticism wisely.
IDK, but taking the ball off the rebound, dribbling down court, finding the open man, shooting with the off hand, all seem like basketball plays to me. Maybe the game has changed.

Not sure that I agree with any of that.

Not suggesting he's a finished product or predicting how much he'll play this year, but reports out of the Melo Center are that he's pretty skilled.

Not suggesting he's a finished product or predicting how much he'll play this year, but reports out of the Melo Center are that he's pretty skilled.
What are you hearing about his performance in the summer workouts ?

What are you hearing about his performance in the summer workouts ?

That he's not just some project with athletic upside, he's showing a lot more versatility and a diversified skill set.

But I look forward to hearing the first hand reports from the Boeheim's Army players -- always look forward to their perspective.

Last edited:

What are the other reports saying? Inquiring minds would like to know…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom