Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he comes to Syracuse. But is it worth the effort to go through all you have to do to get HS kids when we know 2000 names are going into the portal (I bet some of our players)? I think it might be too much effort. This isn't sour grapes it is just reality.
It's all about developing relationships. Whether they sign now or as a transfer. Very few kids stay four years at the same school.

I hope he comes to Syracuse. But is it worth the effort to go through all you have to do to get HS kids when we know 2000 names are going into the portal (I bet some of our players)? I think it might be too much effort. This isn't sour grapes it is just reality.
Yes. To land elite transfers you must offer guaranteed starting spot and probably bags of cash. It’s easier to recruit depth out of high school than the portal. That’s not reference to JP - I think he will start.

Also most recruits are transfering for a reason, such as not playing enough, which indicates they aren’t perfect. Few true studs transfer because they play a lot or are heading to the NBA. Also miss out on one-and-done types and stud freshmen who will start. Also risky to wait until Spring to fill your roster. The portal needs to be Plan B, and risk mitigation when you lose players. To your point, fewer unranked kids will be offered scholarships because programs won’t be as willing to risk an unknown given the availability of transfers.

Well, it's the work you put in the first time around it makes it more likely the kid will think of your school if he's dissatisfied with his first choice. (See Cole Swider)

Yes, absolutely worth it. All of those portal kids start out as a highschool player, and there are more highschool players/wider net to cast on talent. The portal is a nice way to shore up needs on the roster but there's no guarantee you get what you want out of it.
There is even less surety that a HS kid will work out. But I understand your point. We are seeing teams build roosters out of the portal.

Yes. To land elite transfers you must offer guaranteed starting spot and probably bags of cash. It’s easier to recruit depth out of high school than the portal. That’s not reference to JP - I think he will start.

Also most recruits are transfering for a reason, such as not playing enough, which indicates they aren’t perfect. Few true studs transfer because they play a lot or are heading to the NBA. Also miss out on one-and-done types and stud freshmen who will start. Also risky to wait until Spring to fill your roster. The portal needs to be Plan B, and risk mitigation when you lose players. To your point, fewer unranked kids will be offered scholarships because programs won’t be as willing to risk an unknown given the availability of transfers.
We are not getting one and done freshman so I think your point is a little weak. No one is a sure thing. Put A LOT of effort into HS recruiting.

There is even less surety that a HS kid will work out. But I understand your point. We are seeing teams build roosters out of the portal.
HS kids that don't work out can also end up in the portal, freeing you up to pursue a kid that may work out.

I think we're in a nice position for the portal to be our friend - let some players take their natural course out of the program, and pull in guys that are still really talented but washed out at other programs.

Like our QB transfer from Florida and Markewicz.

This kid is good enough to start next year. He as an immediate impact player.

Twin towers with Carey and Estrella?
Pete plays 5 on O, and 4 on D
JP plays 4 on O, and 5 on D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online