Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boeheim said in an interview that the 2022 recruits didn't really ask about NIL, but going forward NIL will have to be a major topic of discussion with recruits. I was surprised to hear the 2022 guys didn't focus on NIL. I suppose it really started boiling over really late in 2022 recruitment, and after many of them committed. Judah had a prime opportunity to be recruited on NIL due to the time in which he became available, but apparently that wasn't his focus. Obviously the transfer portal became a NIL circus. I'm sure 2023 guys are drilling down on NIL opportunities.

It’s also obvious that you have blind spots all over the place as it relates to SU basketball.

Our team has been average at best for nearly a decade. The landscape of college basketball has changed in that time, yet our program has not done a thing.

Syracuse lost to Colgate and St. Bona during the last 5 years - they hadn’t lost to those teams in literally forever. I could list a million other things but it wouldn’t matter.

I never singled out NIL - you have continually insinuated that. I have said there are many factors that the program hasn’t adjusted to and NIL is one. Lands decommitting is an example of our staff not being prepared to have a conversation about it, IMO.
Dont disagree with what your saying but sometimes the staffs hands are tied by the compliance department.

I am reading that depending on the school, compliance departments are interpreting the vague rules differently from others.

Until I see enforcement, I don't see why you would have a strict compliance department for this new era of college sports.

Boeheim said in an interview that the 2022 recruits didn't really ask about NIL, but going forward NIL will have to be a major topic of discussion with recruits. I was surprised to hear the 2022 guys didn't focus on NIL. I suppose it really started boiling over really late in 2022 recruitment, and after many of them committed. Judah had a prime opportunity to be recruited on NIL due to the time in which he became available, but apparently that wasn't his focus. Obviously the transfer portal became a NIL circus. I'm sure 2023 guys are drilling down on NIL opportunities.
Also, Boeheim just talks.
If we think one of the most popular players SU has ever had with the biggest last name (Buddy), in his senior year, ONLY made $100k, that's not a good look.

come on. you know I'm connected to the program

So the article I posted with JW and the realities of the process our collective has gone through are all lies? And I know plenty of people connected to the program and the Athletic Dept.

Also, Boeheim just talks.
If we think one of the most popular players SU has ever had with the biggest last name (Buddy), in his senior year, ONLY made $100k, that's not a good look.

So why didn’t more people buck up? SU doesn’t want them to? Btw, outside of the few real big illegal deals, most players nil is driven by their social media followings.

So why didn’t more people buck up? SU doesn’t want them to? Btw, outside of the few real big illegal deals, most players nil is driven by their social media followings.
so the #1 class in football for Texas A&M...the NIL deals for those players were primarily driven by social media followings???? So by your logic, they would have still got those if they went to other schools. My guy, cmon

so the #1 class in football for Texas A&M...the NIL deals for those players were primarily driven by social media followings???? So by your logic, they would have still got those if they went to other schools. My guy, cmon
ah so SU basketball should go sec football, cool

No I didn’t say all and I didn’t say deals that are illegal. What is supposed to be NIL like buddy did.

And forget my sources and forget yours. Just read the article/interview with JW and tell me if he’s lying.

In general, people in the northeast don't care about college sports, and certainly not enough to pay kids hundreds of thousands to appear in commercials,etc., with negligible ROI. The big NIL is being driven by the jock sniffers with big bucks who no longer have to worry about the NCAA.

And forget my sources and forget yours. Just read the article/interview with JW and tell me if he’s lying.
It's a little less black and white than "did our AD lie in an article with the local newspaper". Syracuse is behind in NIL and Syracuse is looking to create collectives can both be true. However, until we see new NIL deals in place, any of the financials, and/or recruiting (HS and Portal) improves, public perception will be that Syracuse continues to be behind in the NIL space (even with all the marketing spin they try to put on it).

Our best player got $100k in a year, the 2nd highest reported was $30k. No name players are getting up to 4x the amount plus benefits. Right now, it doesn't matter if they are "legal" or "illegal" deals since there is no current enforcement outside of schools telling on themselves. Once there is actual enforcement, that will be a different story.

In general, people in the northeast don't care about college sports, and certainly not enough to pay kids hundreds of thousands to appear in commercials,etc., with negligible ROI. The big NIL is being driven by the jock sniffers with big bucks who no longer have to worry about the NCAA.
Exactly!, Alums of NE schools residing in the NE care more about NFL, MLB, NBA teams in their region

If Alums of schools in the northeast cared, the Ivy league schools would be a factor seeing how those alums would have big pockets

ah so SU basketball should go sec football, cool
no no no. I'm just stating a point that...NIL is not "mostly" based on social media following. Boosters are clearly handing off/giving low hanging fruit deals to student athletes to come, not based on their social media following.

It's a little less black and white than "did our AD lie in an article with the local newspaper". Syracuse is behind in NIL and Syracuse is looking to create collectives can both be true. However, until we see new NIL deals in place, any of the financials, and/or recruiting (HS and Portal) improves, public perception will be that Syracuse continues to be behind in the NIL space (even with all the marketing spin they try to put on it).

Our best player got $100k in a year, the 2nd highest reported was $30k. No name players are getting up to 4x the amount plus benefits. Right now, it doesn't matter if they are "legal" or "illegal" deals since there is no current enforcement outside of schools telling on themselves. Once there is actual enforcement, that will be a different story.
Bingo

Texas A&M Literally has ATM on the side of their helmets!
Yes I understand that, hence with Alabama is all up in arms about being...gosh the #2 class...and comparing college football vs college bball is apples to oranges...probably a poor comparison on my end but I was just stating a point that it isn't based on social media following on the recruits for NIL deals.

Dont disagree with what your saying but sometimes the staffs hands are tied by the compliance department.

I am reading that depending on the school, compliance departments are interpreting the vague rules differently from others.

Until I see enforcement, I don't see why you would have a strict compliance department for this new era of college sports.
Besides which, even blatant abuse of the loopholes in the rules will be treated with a clarification memo sent to all teams which will allow them to stop cheating prior to enforcement. There is no reason to be worrying about the NCAA until they actually tell you ahead of time that you can't do something.

Yes I understand that, hence with Alabama is all up in arms about being...gosh the #2 class...and comparing college football vs college bball is apples to oranges...probably a poor comparison on my end but I was just stating a point that it isn't based on social media following on the recruits for NIL deals.
These poor kids are going to play four years in the SEC, get drafted by the NFL and then take pay cuts as they deal with the realities of a salary cap for the first time. So sad for them. :(

You make it sound like all SU has to do is snap their fingers and people will suddenly throw around millions. You do realize you need the side of the equation that provides the millions. Capt Tuttle nailed it. If you offered up a million dollars for player NIL you think SU would say no thanks?

no no no. I'm just stating a point that...NIL is not "mostly" based on social media following. Boosters are clearly handing off/giving low hanging fruit deals to student athletes to come, not based on their social media following.

So your gonna jump on the social media comment? You’ve gone away from your original point and complaint. Good for you.

You make it sound like all SU has to do is snap their fingers and people will suddenly throw around millions. You do realize you need the side of the equation that provides the millions. Capt Tuttle nailed it. If you offered up a million dollars for player NIL you think SU would say no thanks?
In your eyes, who's responsibility is it find more NIL $$$ for SU athletes? Is it the school, is it the coaches, is it agents, or is it suppose to be just all come organically? I don't think it's snap your fingers and there will be $$$ but there needs to be work involved and a good product on the court.

These poor kids are going to play four years in the SEC, get drafted by the NFL and then take pay cuts as they deal with the realities of a salary cap for the first time. So sad for them. :(
A few yes most of of course them no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors