Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we coming with a portfolio of previously negotiated NIL deals worth over $1,000,000?

Do we have somebody whose only role is to generate revenue for our players/recruits?

Hypothetically, if you loved Syracuse basketball your whole life, loved the coaching staff, campus and playing time situation... Would you still go play for free tuition at Syracuse rather than become a millionaire at 18, playing for Duke?

Me neither. Syracuse is going to be an also ran sooner rather than later if we don't solve our lack of visible effort at legally getting money to these kids.

Legally is not SU generating revenue for players.

If what is inferred is correct that we are out of the running for Estrella, it is a disappointment.

The Syracuse coaching staff spends an large amount of time identifying potential recruit, nursing them along, trying to get one to consider Syracuse, then trying to get the recruit to make an official visit, then getting him to commit and lately getting getting him to show up. Now multiply this time by the number of potential recruits the staff initially contacts.

In 2022, they signed 6 recruits but made 18 offers. Unofficially they had 8 commits, 2 of which changed their minds. By the way, the 2 that changed their minds really wasted Syracuse coaches time. Each coach has several recruits that they are responsible and some times multiple coaches will contact an interested recruit trying to get to commit. They do this multiple years out. In 2021, Syracuse made 11 offers, 2022 18 offers, 2023 12 offers so far (6 which decided to go elsewhere already) and 2024 the staff has already made 5 offers.

The coaches probably talk to each of these recruits multiple times a week.

If what is inferred is correct that we are out of the running for Estrella, it is a disappointment.

The Syracuse coaching staff spends an large amount of time identifying potential recruit, nursing them along, trying to get one to consider Syracuse, then trying to get the recruit to make an official visit, then getting him to commit and lately getting getting him to show up. Now multiply this time by the number of potential recruits the staff initially contacts.

In 2022, they signed 6 recruits but made 18 offers. Unofficially they had 8 commits, 2 of which changed their minds. By the way, the 2 that changed their minds really wasted Syracuse coaches time. Each coach has several recruits that they are responsible and some times multiple coaches will contact an interested recruit trying to get to commit. They do this multiple years out. In 2021, Syracuse made 11 offers, 2022 18 offers, 2023 12 offers so far (6 which decided to go elsewhere already) and 2024 the staff has already made 5 offers.

The coaches probably talk to each of these recruits multiple times a week.
I don’t think we’re out of the running. But Duke, if they truly pursue him over other highly rated prospects at his position, will be hard to beat.

Their program right now is light years ahead of where SU is. They are going to most likely have the number 1 pick in the draft as well. Gonzaga is much much much bigger and better situation for a top tier player than SU is
Especially because we have a coach who will never retire.

Their program right now is light years ahead of where SU is. They are going to most likely have the number 1 pick in the draft as well. Gonzaga is much much much bigger and better situation for a top tier player than SU is
Please explain how they are "bigger"? Gonzaga's undergrad population is ~4,000. SU's is ~13,000.

The two programs spend basically the same amount of money, but SU has a +$3M revenue net comparative to Gonzaga, the overall AD budget is much bigger, and SU is in a better league.

The biggest difference is the coaching situation. Everything else, SU has or should have an advantage in.

Please explain how they are "bigger"? Gonzaga's undergrad population is ~4,000. SU's is ~13,000.

The two programs spend basically the same amount of money, but SU has a +$3M revenue net comparative to Gonzaga, the overall AD budget is much bigger, and SU is in a better league.

The biggest difference is the coaching situation. Everything else, SU has or should have an advantage in.
Bigger opportunities for success. Always in the hunt for number 1 seed. Number of first round picks the last 5 years. Didn’t mean it like bigger as in stature. Meant it as bigger and better opportunities given the landscapes of their program versus SU. This is a very much a case of “what have you done for me lately”

Bigger opportunities for success. Always in the hunt for number 1 seed. Number of first round picks the last 5 years. Didn’t mean it like bigger as in stature. Meant it as bigger and better opportunities given the landscapes of their program versus SU. This is a very much a case of “what have you done for me lately”
I get all that. But my overall point remains. If Gonzaga is there, then there's no reason why SU shouldn't be closer to that. Not saying they can be a #1 seed every year. But they certainly shouldn't be .500 in the ACC and fighting for a bubble bid each year either.

I get all that. But my overall point remains. If Gonzaga is there, then there's no reason why SU shouldn't be closer to that. Not saying they can be a #1 seed every year. But they certainly shouldn't be .500 in the ACC and fighting for a bubble bid each year either.
Totally agree with you. The recruiting has to be there though and I think this class upcoming has a chance to make their mark for future and the staff needs to snag guys like JP who are their priority targets

Gonzaga’s program has been very successful recent years and is center stage in relevance on a National level.

Be have been behind the curtain watching the show

Try realizing that we haven't been relevant for about 8 years, and will continue to be irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom