Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their program right now is light years ahead of where SU is. They are going to most likely have the number 1 pick in the draft as well. Gonzaga is much much much bigger and better situation for a top tier player than SU is
Gonzaga has had a few great years in a row. They could very well make some evaluation and recruiting mistakes and have key guys leave earlier than expected and take something of a step back. Except for the 4-5 blue bloods, college basketball is cyclical.

Last edited:
Gonzaga’s program has been very successful recent years and is center stage in relevance on a National level.

Be have been behind the curtain watching the show
We beat them when they were an 11 seed on the way to the Final Four in 2016. Fortunes can change quickly in college basketball.

this is your opinion, which I believe is incorrect. Gonzaga has had a few great years in a row. They could very well make some evaluation and recruiting mistakes and have key guys leave earlier than expected and take something of a step back. Except for the 4-5 blue bloods, college basketball is cyclical.
Since 2012 gonzaga is 316-39. That is sustained success. If I’m a recruit, I’m strongly considering this because you are always making the tournament and winning constantly. Something we cannot say for the team we love. I agree things can change quickly but we haven’t seen that on our end other than a few tourney runs.

SU has done a great job with being “early” with certain recruits like JP but there has to be so much more effort and selling from the coaching staff BC they haven’t had year after year success for a while like they used to. Yes it can change but winning and draft picks are two Constants recruits look at

Since 2012 gonzaga is 316-39. That is sustained success. If I’m a recruit, I’m strongly considering this because you are always making the tournament and winning constantly. Something we cannot say for the team we love. I agree things can change quickly but we haven’t seen that on our end other than a few tourney runs.

SU has done a great job with being “early” with certain recruits like JP but there has to be so much more effort and selling from the coaching staff BC they haven’t had year after year success for a while like they used to. Yes it can change but winning and draft picks are two Constants recruits look at
I’ll add a 3rd constant that recruits look for - NIL $$$

Please explain how they are "bigger"? Gonzaga's undergrad population is ~4,000. SU's is ~13,000.

The two programs spend basically the same amount of money, but SU has a +$3M revenue net comparative to Gonzaga, the overall AD budget is much bigger, and SU is in a better league.

The biggest difference is the coaching situation. Everything else, SU has or should have an advantage in.
Then lets hire their coaching staff when JB retires. (which I hope is soon for SU benefit) If they would leave GU.

I’ll add a 3rd constant that recruits look for - NIL $$$

Which is illegal from the school and I hope someone goes down soon for it.

I don't think anyone will go down for it anytime soon. NCAA's current policing policy is for schools to self police and that any sanctions will not cause any player/tournament eligibility issues.

The NCAA doesn’t have the balls to go after the cash cows of college football or basketball.

Gonzaga has developed exactly 0 kids. Their draft picks are top 5 kids out of highschool. Those 2 could have gone to any school in the country and even lottery picks. Joke

You can believe what you want, but kids go where they get the best offer. It used to be playing time and TV exposure - it now has many other variables. Facilities, etc. NIL is a component whether you like to believe it or not. Many, many other schools have adjusted. Including schools that generally follow the rules. Our staff has not adjusted. The product has suffered. That’s a choice they have made.

I don't think anyone will go down for it anytime soon. NCAA's current policing policy is for schools to self police and that any sanctions will not cause any player/tournament eligibility issues.

Well let’s see if the ncaa has any balls (I don’t think they do). They clearly said they will go after the more egregious ones going forward.

You can believe what you want, but kids go where they get the best offer. It used to be playing time and TV exposure - it now has many other variables. Facilities, etc. NIL is a component whether you like to believe it or not. Many, many other schools have adjusted. Including schools that generally follow the rules. Our staff has not adjusted. The product has suffered. That’s a choice they have made.

Believe what I want? What I believe is that SU will not blatantly cheat. Just because you want them to use SUAD budget to pay recruits doesn’t make it right nor should it or will it happen.

Believe what I want? What I believe is that SU will not blatantly cheat. Just because you want them to use SUAD budget to pay recruits doesn’t make it right nor should it or will it happen.
It's not about paying recruits directly, it's about actively assisting recruits in pursuing "their own" deals. I laughed sadly when I found out our way of helping our kids was to give them an elective on how to market themselves. Laughable, when other schools are creating collectives which throw millions at kids for nothing.

And Buddy busted his butt to make $100k? Laughable. It's almost like we are afraid alumni will stop donating to the general fund if we give them athletes to support directly or something. Duke just hired somebody whose only job is to make money for the kids that play there. If we did the same thing, do we really worry we'll get nailed for cheating, or are we just making excuses?

Anyway, I won't belabor the point any more, but it sure feels like we aren't even trying anymore, in light of the tepid NIL efforts.

It's not about paying recruits directly, it's about actively assisting recruits in pursuing "their own" deals. I laughed sadly when I found out our way of helping our kids was to give them an elective on how to market themselves. Laughable, when other schools are creating collectives which throw millions at kids for nothing.

And Buddy busted his butt to make $100k? Laughable. It's almost like we are afraid alumni will stop donating to the general fund if we give them athletes to support directly or something. Duke just hired somebody whose only job is to make money for the kids that play there. If we did the same thing, do we really worry we'll get nailed for cheating, or are we just making excuses?

Anyway, I won't belabor the point any more, but it sure feels like we aren't even trying anymore, in light of the tepid NIL efforts.

I’ll only say you don’t know what SU is doing. An elective is about 1% of it. You must miss JWs interviews where he talks about NIL and meeting with businesses and individuals. And schools can’t broker deals for the players. Tepid is far from it.

I never said that at all.

There are a lot of things this staff avoids. It is evident by the individuals it recruits and doesn't.

SU doesn't offer kids the same opportunities others do. On a lot of different levels. They don't even try with certain kids, yet all of our other competitors do. Why is that?

I don't know that you are correct. Schools that are using NIL to get recruits were cheating to get them before. School's that weren't cheating before, probably aren't cheating now. That isn't to say that some places aren't getting more of the benefit of NIL than we are. I would be surprised if some of the larger state schools weren't having players get more from NIL than we are. But that doesn't mean that the schools are cheating.

I never said that at all.

There are a lot of things this staff avoids. It is evident by the individuals it recruits and doesn't.

SU doesn't offer kids the same opportunities others do. On a lot of different levels. They don't even try with certain kids, yet all of our other competitors do. Why is that?

Huh? That’s not what I replied too. Read your post I replied too. You blamed the staff for not adjusting to NIL.

Huh? That’s not what I replied too. Read your post I replied too. You blamed the staff for not adjusting to NIL.
They haven’t adjusted. You don’t think the kids Gonzaga is getting are asking about NIL? Do you think Gonzaga is cheating for players?

It’s a startling difference in our level of talent comparative to our peers. Our roster used to be littered with Top 50 kids and now we are thrilled when one comes. A lot has changed - what aren’t we doing now that we used to do?

The staff hasn’t adjusted to what kids want now compared to what they wanted before. And it isn’t all about cheating and paying kids.

They haven’t adjusted. You don’t think the kids Gonzaga is getting are asking about NIL? Do you think Gonzaga is cheating for players?

It’s a startling difference in our level of talent comparative to our peers. Our roster used to be littered with Top 50 kids and now we are thrilled when one comes. A lot has changed - what aren’t we doing now that we used to do?

The staff hasn’t adjusted to what kids want now compared to what they wanted before. And it isn’t all about cheating and paying kids.

Obvious you don’t know what SU is and isn’t doing about NIL. Very obvious. The problem is not on SUs end.

If you aren’t part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

Obvious you don’t know what SU is and isn’t doing about NIL. Very obvious. The problem is not on SUs end.

Lol thats laughable that you think SU isnt the problem with the lack of NIL happening

Lol thats laughable that you think SU isnt the problem with the lack of NIL happening

I’ll assume you don’t know.

Some of you that think SU is doing “nothing” must have missed this interview with JW. It’s pretty detailed and open. There’s been more since this interview too. No matter how small, maybe some people here could start a collective too with their own group. Our tailgate group did and we’ve gone through the process with SU who’s been very supportive. There’s a couple threads, including a tacked one, on the football board about our efforts and small contribution (in the big picture) to the NIL world (Thanks to those 60 or so posters who have contributed so far). But every little bit helps. We’re hoping to get other tailgate groups involved and are supporting another group hoping to start their own collective for another sport.

Wildhack on NIL, collectives and whether SU sports are falling behind (Q&A)

Here are the links to the two threads on the football board in case someone missed them and might be interested. The second one is the current and tacked thread. Thanks for your support.

It’s also obvious that you have blind spots all over the place as it relates to SU basketball.

Our team has been average at best for nearly a decade. The landscape of college basketball has changed in that time, yet our program has not done a thing.

Syracuse lost to Colgate and St. Bona during the last 5 years - they hadn’t lost to those teams in literally forever. I could list a million other things but it wouldn’t matter.

I never singled out NIL - you have continually insinuated that. I have said there are many factors that the program hasn’t adjusted to and NIL is one. Lands decommitting is an example of our staff not being prepared to have a conversation about it, IMO.

It’s also obvious that you have blind spots all over the place as it relates to SU basketball.

Our team has been average at best for nearly a decade. The landscape of college basketball has changed in that time, yet our program has not done a thing.

Syracuse lost to Colgate and St. Bona during the last 5 years - they hadn’t lost to those teams in literally forever. I could list a million other things but it wouldn’t matter.

I never singled out NIL - you have continually insinuated that. I have said there are many factors that the program hasn’t adjusted to and NIL is one. Lands decommitting is an example of our staff not being prepared to have a conversation about it, IMO.

My post was about NIL. YOU chose to reply to it and disagree. So of course my response to you is NIL related. And you don’t know what conversations coaches have.

“I’ve been thinking about this ever since the NIL bill came out,’’ Lands told the Syracuse Post-Standard. “I haven’t had the opportunity to be recruited in that way.’’

Hint hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors