Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, so you’ve forgotten about OSB already?

He averaged just shy of 9 boards / game as a Frosh.
I hear you I'm just talking about grinders and dirt dogs. I view Oshae as more athletically talented than what I had in mind. To be fair you are correct, Oshae was a good rebounder and also played hard and was not afraid to hit the floor and do the little things.

Agreed - he’s a willing and capable passer with good vision.
His season assist stats attest to this.

And seems to be a plus defender with a good motor.

Don’t think he can shoot it a lick, but neither could Paul Harris, and he was a very solid player for us.

Upside seems to be “plugged-in Roberson” with a smidge of Marek’s passing.

So - Draymond Green. :p

Paul wasn't an outside shooter, but boy he had a great handle. Brown clearly lacks that.
Maybe Roberson is the better comp.

In the last highlights posted, I don't see an "explosive player" that jumps out of the screen. I don't see him overpowering his competition with strength and athleticism.

He might be able to contribute in a couple of season but I don't see him getting on the floor much next year to make an impact. Hopefully he can adequately rebound and contribute more than JBA.

I actually liked the kids tape, I think a number of people have already listed some of the negatives so ill throw a few positives out there that I saw from the highlight tape. What jumps out at me is he's long, has a nice frame and enough mass to mix it up down low, has a nice feel for the game (passing, blocked shot timing), has a "no-nonsense" approach to the game (doesn't celebrate after a nice play, just moves on to the next play) and gets up and down the floor really well. Now I havent seen a full game(s) so im not sure how representative that tape is with how he plays on a day to day basis but some of those qualities he posses' are more innate in a player, and pretty hard to teach/coach up. Im not sure if he is expected to grow anymore but if he could add another inch or two he could be a very very nice player down the road.

Here’s my 2 cents on Brown which I posted a couple months ago on the bball board in another thread.

Post in thread 'No change is going to occur after this season IMO'
No change is going to occur after this season IMO
100% agree with your take. The problem is I’m not sure a lineup with him, Sy, Benny, and Edwards on the floor at the same time can work. The lack of shooting is a problem.

100% agree with your take. The problem is I’m not sure a lineup with him, Sy, Benny, and Edwards on the floor at the same time can work. The lack of shooting is a problem.
That lineup w Bunch and his shooting ability instead of Brown *could* work if Bunch turns out to be more ready than we think - but that just doesn't seem likely

No inside info or anything, but I get the sense (considering who his dad is and what his dad does) that Bunch may have been assured he has the leg up for major minutes as a frosh, if not a starting spot
Would be kinda funny if that's true considering we've been told one of our issues with elite prospects is that we aren't willing to promise them anything lol

No inside info or anything, but I get the sense (considering who his dad is and what his dad does) that Bunch may have been assured he has the leg up for major minutes as a frosh, if not a starting spot
That’s also possible, but I think Taylor is the more well rounded player. He reminds me of a slightly bigger Brandon Triche.

That’s also possible, but I think Taylor is the more well rounded player. He reminds me of a slightly bigger Brandon Triche.
yep I'd def say, based on clips I've seen and scouting reports, Taylor seems like the strongest candidate for early frosh contributor next year - will be interesting tho if Cole does come back where Taylor will get his minutes

I think Taylor is going to start at forward if Swider leaves. Just a hunch.
My starting
yep I'd def say, based on clips I've seen and scouting reports, Taylor seems like the strongest candidate for early frosh contributor next year - will be interesting tho if Cole does come back where Taylor will get his minutes
Over Benny if Cole comes back

Joe played elite AAU ball though. Brown played in the UAA circuit which isn’t nearly as strong as the EYBL. If we are counting on him to produce this year we are in big trouble.

SMH. Team Loaded VA’s no joke, even if not the same history as the NC team, and they run in Adidas Gauntlet. Played with Jayden Epps (4*, Illinois) and Tyler Nickel (4*, UNC) - should we knock them down a peg as well? Brown put up solid all around numbers with them, too. He’s not a sure thing by any means, but he’s played with and against talent and produced.

Triche to me was a bully - super physical and loved using his size and strength. Is that something Taylor has as well?

Triche to me was a bully - super physical and loved using his size and strength. Is that something Taylor has as well?

Taylor strikes me more as a Glenn Sekunda or Sean Kerins type - willing to mix it up, but not a true big man, able to make an open shot, can handle the ball a bit. Before you burn me, I haven't seen enough, but what I've seen is a well rounded game, pretty good shot maker. Hoping for the best from them all.

Would be kinda funny if that's true considering we've been told one of our issues with elite prospects is that we aren't willing to promise them anything lol

This is syracusefan.com myth. When I was running orangenation.net and going to recruiting events, I talked to multiple recruits over the years that told me Boeheim had told them they would start as a FR. More then one did not start until SO or JR year. Granted that was over a decade ago, but even then the board was all in on 'Boeheim doesn't promise starting spots to FR'.

This is syracusefan.com myth. When I was running orangenation.net and going to recruiting events, I talked to multiple recruits over the years that told me Boeheim had told them they would start as a FR. More then one did not start until SO or JR year. Granted that was over a decade ago, but even then the board was all in on 'Boeheim doesn't promise starting spots to FR'.
Liked this thread. Just read it in its entirety. Many well thought out comments especially about Maliq Brown.

About this upcoming season, I think it is going to be a down year and I don’t like saying it.

Experienced players with many minutes won’t be there, five freshmen coming in of which there is not a Carmelo Anthony elite who can play from day 1 and be a star and leave after one year.

We all know what JB thinks about freshmen – that they need a year just to get into the college game so the new kids on the block won’t see many minutes unless someone blows up and just begins to shoot lights out and play D with rebounds at both ends, steals, and assists.

So who are you going to start and have play the majority of time? We aren’t sure what’s up with Cole so let’s leave him out for now. I see three starters right away in Symir at the point, Joe shooting guard, Jesse center, and then I get stuck for whose in next to start.

Will Benny be ready? Has he gotten the practice time to get his head and body around the basketball, hope so. That’s four, but who is the fifth man, a freshman? But I just finished saying that a freshman needs a year with minor minutes to gain the experience needed to play for JB.

Frank Anselem seems the logical choice.

So, we have: PG Symir Torrence

SG Joe Girard III

SF (Cole Swider?) Benny Williams,

PF/C Frank Anselem, Jon Bol Ajak

C Jesse Edwards

Bench

F Malik Brown

F Chris Bunch

C Peter Carey

G Quadir Copeland

G Justin Taylor

Cole Swider is a really BIG question and if he does come back would make a big difference. Is he like most think, not coming back or is he? Guess no one knows for sure from what I read.

Any ideas on the starters, bench, Benny? I hope they put in the minutes in practicing in the Melo Center to see what the listed starters can do and each freshman can and can’t do, along with developing chemistry. I know JB as a friend and there’s no question in my mind that he’ll have them running/practicing every chance he gets. Maybe we’re going to be better than I anticipate – we’ll see.

Did JB have his fingers crossed?

SG Joe Girard III
C Jesse Edwards

————-

That‘s a scary (bad) offensive lineup. One guy who can shoot (Joe)—pretty easy to take him out.

We are really going to need Cole to come back. Or pray Taylor just needed to get high school 1 for 13s out of his system and comes in like gangbusters. I can see Benny taking a step forward, but I think it’s more likely he’ll do so inside the arc, and not as a spot-up, knock-down jump shooter.

But, who knows. Plenty of headroom for the guys coming in as well as for Benny. I expect some surprises among the disappointments. I’m really hoping Peter Carey is going to be healthy and that Jesse’s wrist isn’t going to hamper his summer work and continued development.

Last edited:
Liked this thread. Just read it in its entirety. Many well thought out comments especially about Maliq Brown.

About this upcoming season, I think it is going to be a down year and I don’t like saying it.

Experienced players with many minutes won’t be there, five freshmen coming in of which there is not a Carmelo Anthony elite who can play from day 1 and be a star and leave after one year.

We all know what JB thinks about freshmen – that they need a year just to get into the college game so the new kids on the block won’t see many minutes unless someone blows up and just begins to shoot lights out and play D with rebounds at both ends, steals, and assists.

So who are you going to start and have play the majority of time? We aren’t sure what’s up with Cole so let’s leave him out for now. I see three starters right away in Symir at the point, Joe shooting guard, Jesse center, and then I get stuck for whose in next to start.

Will Benny be ready? Has he gotten the practice time to get his head and body around the basketball, hope so. That’s four, but who is the fifth man, a freshman? But I just finished saying that a freshman needs a year with minor minutes to gain the experience needed to play for JB.

Frank Anselem seems the logical choice.

SG Joe Girard III

C Jesse Edwards

Bench

F Malik Brown

F Chris Bunch

C Peter Carey

G Quadir Copeland

G Justin Taylor

Cole Swider is a really BIG question and if he does come back would make a big difference. Is he like most think, not coming back or is he? Guess no one knows for sure from what I read.

Any ideas on the starters, bench, Benny? I hope they put in the minutes in practicing in the Melo Center to see what the listed starters can do and each freshman can and can’t do, along with developing chemistry. I know JB as a friend and there’s no question in my mind that he’ll have them running/practicing every chance he gets. Maybe we’re going to be better than I anticipate – we’ll see.
The current edition of JB cares far more about perimeter shooting and spacing to start Frankie alongside Jesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom