Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current edition of JB cares far more about perimeter shooting and spacing to start Frankie alongside Jesse.
Agreed. In the 2nd half Miami looked like us at times this year - they couldn't buy a bucket 3 pt or otherwise.

My version of a great SU team was back in '85 - 89 with Sherman Douglas at the point throwing up the alley - oop pass to Stevie Thompson, Rony Seikaly or Derrick Coleman for a slam. Many more points in the paint and fast breaks then.

Last edited:
If he hustles that much to get a dunk and that little to get back on defense he won't play very much next year. Or ever at Syracuse.

It was nice to see Brown pump fake the 3 and drive for a basket. Stuff like that and playing strong defense will get him playing time and it's very important for the team.

If he hustles that much to get a dunk and that little to get back on defense he won't play very much next year. Or ever at Syracuse.

It was nice to see Brown pump fake the 3 and drive for a basket. Stuff like that and playing strong defense will get him playing time and it's very important for the team.
He will be fine. Hustling is not his issue. We haven’t had a big that can run like this in a looong time

@ 1:27 Maliq takes his man off the dribble from the 3 pt line for the reverse layup...when's the last time we've had a big man able to do that? (I realize this is against mediocre hs talent) but there's a lot to like about this young man. Pretty solid all around game. It takes awhile for young bigs to develop and get use to college basketball but this kid has potential.

Another example of him taking his man off the dribble but going left and finishing with his left for the and 1

Malik is a really interesting player. We don't take many true power forwards. Seem to almost always end up with a combo forward there.

Benny and Malik are going to split time at PF. Benny might play some SF too (that will not be a good offensive lineup). If he can play good defense, rebound, get some baskets inside and help make the offense work with his great passing skills, he will be a big asset, even as a frosh.

Ii is a big jump for him. But given what we have for offensive skills with our other forwards and our backup centers right now, he might get a surprising amount of playing time next season.

Malik is a really interesting player. We don't take many true power forwards. Seem to almost always end up with a combo forward there.

Benny and Malik are going to split time at PF. Benny might play some SF too (that will not be a good offensive lineup). If he can play good defense, rebound, get some baskets inside and help make the offense work with his great passing skills, he will be a big asset, even as a frosh.

Ii is a big jump for him. But given what we have for offensive skills with our other forwards and our backup centers right now, he might get a surprising amount of playing time next season.
Yea I think he’s the wildcard.

That's one of the reasons I think this class is a great "foundational" group. All five can play, all five have ACC caliber athleticism. But it might take all 5 a year or two to begin maximizing their potential.

It also might mean that they might not be as inclined to bail via the transfer portal as other players, who are more highly rated and more "impatient" with waiting their turn.

Only one of these guys seems like a flight threat [on paper].

Wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start alongside Benny. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown start alongside Benny.

Wish we were starting Woody and Benny.

That's one of the reasons I think this class is a great "foundational" group. All five can play, all five have ACC caliber athleticism. But it might take all 5 a year or two to begin maximizing their potential.

It also might mean that they might not be as inclined to bail via the transfer portal as other players, who are more highly rated and more "impatient" with waiting their turn.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start alongside Benny. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown start alongside Benny.

Taylor and Benny sounds about right

I agree - all seem to have some pretty solid skills, and athleticism.

Brown may have the best all-around game of any of them, and seems physically ready, but clearly his level of HS comp was quite low.

He reminds me of the sorta players Marquette used to roll out against us, and also a little of VTech (when Buzz was there).

I’m hoping Brown can be like a Frosh CJ, where his hustle and just being in the right place to be a great glue guy/garbage man, forces JB to play him.

Brown may have the best all-around game of any of them, and seems physically ready, but clearly his level of HS comp was quite low.

He reminds me of the sorta players Marquette used to roll out against us, and also a little of VTech (when Buzz was there).

I’m hoping Brown can be like a Frosh CJ, where his hustle and just being in the right place to be a great glue guy/garbage man, forces JB to play him.

I think a lot depends on Benny. If he finds his shot, then him playing alongside a pure 4 would work. If Benny is basically a 4 [which isn't the worst thing in the world], then we might be really offensively challenged playing him and Brown as a forward tandem -- and Taylor / Bunch might be a better "fit" alongside him.

Very, very inexperienced at forward -- not a great spot to be in. That's the issue, IMO. Benny is unproven, and it is hard to count on any of the frosh being ready. And yet, those are the things we need to happen for the season to go well.

Last edited:

JB needs to play all of them until they show they absolutely can't contribute at this level right now.

We have 6 freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online