Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s my sleeper of the class. Been saying it. He’s not gonna light the world on fire. But he’ll be consistently good and be a fan favorite. He’s a quieter kid and very humble but he’ll get the dirty work done. He’s the type of player where you’ll notice his hustle plays but he’ll end up with a quiet 8 points and 14 rebounds. I don’t think he’ll ever be a great scorer here but I think he was built to be a wing in our zone. He has the potential to be a great defender and rebounder for us. He is a great athlete too. All areas that we are lacking right now. I know he’s one of our lower rates commits but I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s getting good minutes by the end of next year.

Last edited:
He’s my sleeper of the class. Been saying it. He’s not gonna light the world on fire. But he’ll be consistently good and be a fan favorite. He’s a quitter kid and very humble but he’ll get the dirty work done. He’s the type of player where you’ll notice his hustle plays but he’ll end up with a quiet 8 points and 14 rebounds. I don’t think he’ll ever be a great scorer here but I think he was built to be a wing on our zone. He has the potential to be a great defender and rebounder for us. He is a great athlete too. All areas that we are lacking right now. I know he’s one of our lower rates commits but I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s getting good minutes by the end of next year.

Without anything more than bits and pieces this has been my thoughts as well. Lots of kids don't want to do the dirty work or "boring" stuff.

To me he is like the kind of player we had hoped Diagne would be before he sadly never got here

It will be interesting to see how each of the new guys gets used next year. I don't agree with JB that this is his best class, but there is a player at each position and each one seems to bring some versatility. And, they are at varying degrees of being "ready". And, who knows which ones are more than ready than others. We can speculate, but nobody really knows.
I think the 1986 class, Coleman, Thompson, Hughes, Roe and Rogers will be hard to beat for JB, ever.

And Earl Duncan was supposed to be in that class, but he had to sit out due to Prop 48. So, that was also Rutgers’ best class ever.
Still believe had Duncan, Hughes, and Roe stayed JB would have had his title much earlier. Duncan was the 6-3 point guard, and Roe was a 6-5 sharp shooter, and Hughes at 6-8 was a scorer. DC, Billy, and Stevie, and Ellis with Dave Johnson. Would have been fun to watch.

Still believe had Duncan, Hughes, and Roe stayed JB would have had his title much earlier. Duncan was the 6-3 point guard, and Roe was a 6-5 sharp shooter, and Hughes at 6-8 was a scorer. DC, Billy, and Stevie, and Ellis with Dave Johnson. Would have been fun to watch.
There were huge issues between Duncan and Douglas. Might have hurt the team going forward.

Brown plays the weakest competition of any of the guys we have signed this cycle.

In some ways that can make him an enigma. Expect nothing and maybe he can surprise. His game, and what he does generally presents as a value add right away.. potentially. Of all the guys I think he and Copeland present the biggest unknown for different reasons.

Still overall I really don't have confidence we have at least one major contributor as a frosh.

In some ways that can make him an enigma. Expect nothing and maybe he can surprise. His game, and what he does generally presents as a value add right away.. potentially. Of all the guys I think he and Copeland present the biggest unknown for different reasons.

Still overall I really don't have confidence we have at least one major contributor as a frosh.

The time I saw him he played against strong competition and had a hard time. He did things that would work against weaker kids that didn't stand up to the 6'11 guy on him (he bought the ball down to his waist on rebounds, dribbled in bad traffic, etc)

He's rangy as heck though, so there's a lot there to work with.

The time I saw him he played against strong competition and had a hard time. He did things that would work against weaker kids that didn't stand up to the 6'11 guy on him (he bought the ball down to his waist on rebounds, dribbled in bad traffic, etc)

He's rangy as heck though, so there's a lot there to work with.

Yeah- across the board every one of these guys has something key to their style of play that needs work. That is my big worry.

In the not so old days when you can count on a kid getting four years and really start to play the back side of their second year I'd be fine with all of this. However...

Yep. It's a whole new world now. I'm starting to wonder how long it takes for more top 100 guys to go non P5 or to good smaller programs in general that they can play right away as the portal becomes the primary high major recruiting tool. It will eventually work its way back around.

Yeah- across the board every one of these guys has something key to their style of play that needs work. That is my big worry.
Yeah, really sad—the state of our program, when in another recruit’s thread, the discussion is of whether the guy can even dribble. And the comparison was to another guy just a year separated, who couldn’t dribble in high school. What the heck.

Yeah, really sad—the state of our program, when in another recruit’s thread, the discussion is of whether the guy can even dribble. And the comparison was to another guy just a year separated, who couldn’t dribble in high school. What the heck.

Yeah as being one of the folks who posted about that it was truly about who sucks off the bounce less. Even finding myself propping up Woody but basically because it was a who dribbles worse...

In this age of recruiting, and college ball I’m not ready to write off any player as a year one contributor, as well as I’m not ready to call the number 20 overall recruit ready to play day one(not specifically just in general). Everyone was Fawning over Benny even leading up to the first game saying he looked great in practice. You just don’t know for sure how these things play out. The transfer portal kind of shows this to an extent as it proves talent can come from anywhere, and play anywhere. It’s no different than a draft, or any 1 game like St Peter’s vs Kentucky, to an extent it’s just a crapshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom