Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s my sleeper of the class. Been saying it. He’s not gonna light the world on fire. But he’ll be consistently good and be a fan favorite. He’s a quieter kid and very humble but he’ll get the dirty work done. He’s the type of player where you’ll notice his hustle plays but he’ll end up with a quiet 8 points and 14 rebounds. I don’t think he’ll ever be a great scorer here but I think he was built to be a wing in our zone. He has the potential to be a great defender and rebounder for us. He is a great athlete too. All areas that we are lacking right now. I know he’s one of our lower rates commits but I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s getting good minutes by the end of next year.
State player of the year. You’re on to something……..good call

He looks to be a 3* and more of a project. What is his ranking? Would be surprised if he's in the top 100. I saw only dunks and layups. Despite playing against lower level high school competition he showed no back to the basket game, no mid range jump shot. I did like his ability to put the ball on the floor and overall athleticism.

He’s one of those kids that plays a great floor game. He’s an excellent passer and has great hands and anticipation on defense. He reminds me of the kid that plays for Virginia Tech. He absolutely killed us without making a shot outside of six feet.

I don't like judging off highlights but the extra passes he makes and overall activity/awareness he shows on defense look nice.

His offensive game seems super raw though and he doesn't seem to elevate well so I'm curious to see how his game will translate when the competition is dramatically better.

What is that ‘lower level of competition?‘
How low?
Is this like how Joe G’s HS league wasn‘t respected? Are we talking about junior team or JV-level stuff?

I don't like judging off highlights but the extra passes he makes and overall activity/awareness he shows on defense look nice.

His offensive game seems super raw though and he doesn't seem to elevate well so I'm curious to see how his game will translate when the competition is dramatically better.

Agreed - he’s a willing and capable passer with good vision.
His season assist stats attest to this.

And seems to be a plus defender with a good motor.

Don’t think he can shoot it a lick, but neither could Paul Harris, and he was a very solid player for us.

Upside seems to be “plugged-in Roberson” with a smidge of Marek’s passing.

So - Draymond Green. :p

He’s super lanky. Saw him put up a few 3s (and miss). Didn’t see a Harris type at all.
Yeah, Paul Harris was like a guard sized power forward who was effective because of his physical strength, length and unmatched desire. This guy is a power forward sized power forward, but he doesn't look overly athletic. He seems to have good instincts but only an average athlete. He has long arms and a good frame. So, if he can play strong and rebound and make good decisions, he could definitely be a good four year player.

Yeah, Paul Harris was like a guard sized power forward who was effective because of his physical strength, length and unmatched desire. This guy is a power forward sized power forward, but he doesn't look overly athletic. He seems to have good instincts but only an average athlete. He has long arms and a good frame. So, if he can play strong and rebound and make good decisions, he could definitely be a good four year player.

A classic Cuse developmental forward. Hopefully that still exists.

What is that ‘lower level of competition?‘
How low?
Is this like how Joe G’s HS league wasn‘t respected? Are we talking about junior team or JV-level stuff?
No better than anything Joe played against

Yeah think more Roberson with this kid. But I think he’ll end up being a bit better and more aggressive than Roberson

Interesting. Do you think the lower level of competition might still be an issue here for early contributions?

He might be the exact opposite of Paul Harris

You should have seen his sophomore highlights. He was only about 6-4 a couple years ago and was very physical in the lane. And you'll notice that he has ridiculously long arms to help him on defense, like Harris. Paul was also a good passer, averaging as high as 3.3 rebounds a game as a soph at SU. So, you may disagree, but those are the things I see.

No better than anything Joe played against
Joe played elite AAU ball though. Brown played in the UAA circuit which isn’t nearly as strong as the EYBL. If we are counting on him to produce this year we are in big trouble.

You should have seen his sophomore highlights. He was only about 6-4 a couple years ago and was very physical in the lane. And you'll notice that he has ridiculously long arms to help him on defense, like Harris. Paul was also a good passer, averaging as high as 3.3 rebounds a game as a soph at SU. So, you may disagree, but those are the things I see.
No problem Matt, we all see things a little differently and have varying degrees of experience. Harris sticks out to me partly because I had the chance to work with him (and Flynn) during a summer clinic. I have first hand knowledge of his skill set. Really different player, IMO, than my sense of Brown's skills.

I'm excited about this guy. We haven't had a high motor dog on the boards in years, Quincy might have been the closest thing to that. If he scores 8 ppg as an upperclassman that will be fine if it it comes with hard-nosed defense and plus rebounding. Also he apparently has a mid range game that should improve if he is a hard worker. Other than Marek we've lacked the type of guy who will do the little, uncomfortable things to help the team. Program guys who stay for years, work hard and keep improving usually can be found on championship teams.

I'm excited about this guy. We haven't had a high motor dog on the boards in years, Quincy might have been the closest thing to that. If he scores 8 ppg as an upperclassman that will be fine if it it comes with hard-nosed defense and plus rebounding. Also he apparently has a mid range game that should improve if he is a hard worker. Other than Marek we've lacked the type of guy who will do the little, uncomfortable things to help the team. Program guys who stay for years, work hard and keep improving usually can be found on championship teams.

Uh, so you’ve forgotten about OSB already?

He averaged just shy of 9 boards / game as a Frosh.

No problem Matt, we all see things a little differently and have varying degrees of experience. Harris sticks out to me partly because I had the chance to work with him (and Flynn) during a summer clinic. I have first hand knowledge of his skill set. Really different player, IMO, than my sense of Brown's skills.

Fair enough. I haven't seen enough of Brown, only highlights. It's not like I've worked with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom