Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for your insightful reports on our recruits. My "rain/parade" comment above was just in jest... but yeah, Maliq is intriguing but also a bit of an enigma - and I have thought, even before your breakdown here, that he would be spot minutes off the bench until at least his soph season here - and am now a little perplexed/skeptical of folks seemingly slotting him in as the primary backup to Edwards and getting significant time at the 4...
FWIW Dean Francis likes him a lot as a recruit. I’m just not there personally.

I haven't seen what Dean has on Maliq, but does he see him as a long term contributor or an immediate impact player? I like his size and frame and I think he is athletic and long enough to be a contributor, maybe even early. But, if he can eventually get to 230-240, he could be a real tough player down low.

Yeah. We just gotta get 3 out of the 5 ( Mintz isn't lumped in here) to come in have a good summer working on their game and show they are ready. That is a lot to ask for.. not impossible but a lot.

Maliq is the guy I imagine may get forced into the backup 4/5 minutes and may be able to be a functional body out there. Not excited about it but seems like he may just be the most capable of all the options.

Probably in the minority, but not sure what people see in Maliq that they think he’s got better upside than Carey.

After seeing and reading the stuff Melancer shared.. I'm with you. I worry he ends up way too tentative and not aggressive enough.

I think he can be serviceable or even good defensively and on the glass, possibly from the get-go - but just not seeing how he'll be anything more than a screen setter and putback guy on offense

He seems like a good program guy. Minutes sophomore year, and important piece Junior & Senior year. Hopefully he's levelheaded and sticks around. If he hustles and plays good defense, maybe he'll get spot minutes next year - maybe against teams that have bruiser forwards. It's good to have different types of players available.

We are certainly unproven, and probably weak, at foward. If we play 3 guards we only have 1 foward position to fill. (Brown can't compete with college bound players. Carey, perhaps our best hope. Benny whose improvement is not guaranteed. A portal surprise for which I have my fingers crossed.)

I haven't seen what Dean has on Maliq, but does he see him as a long term contributor or an immediate impact player? I like his size and frame and I think he is athletic and long enough to be a contributor, maybe even early. But, if he can eventually get to 230-240, he could be a real tough player down low.
I think he said probably a sophomore or junior year contributor if I remember right. I think he mentioned that he sees him long term as a C with a similar body to Christmas. He also said he’s definitely a top 100 recruit in the country.

Last edited:
Wonder if this kid would be rated similar to Roberson had he been in a northeast AAU circuit.

Pretty sure we went 16-17 because the combination of Girard, Buddy and Jimmy playing all game is not going to work against kids that run a 4.4 and jump through the roof
Who is the mystery man that deserved more minutes at foward?

Probably in the minority, but not sure what people see in Maliq that they think he’s got better upside than Carey.
I don't think the upside is higher by any means. More or less just think he's the one most physically ready to eat up mins at the 4/5 in year 1 if pressed into action. It's kind of terrifying thinking that him or JBA would have to eat up the inevitable minutes when Jesse picks up 2 quick ones in the 1st half or a quick 3rd right after the half.

Wonder if this kid would be rated similar to Roberson had he been in a northeast AAU circuit.
No. Roberson played elite HS hoops in Jersey and went up against Karl Anthony Towns and held his own.

Brown plays in a HS league equal to what Girard played in and while he put up good stats, his numbers went down considerably when he moved up in competition.

Last edited:
I don't think the upside is higher by any means. More or less just think he's the one most physically ready to eat up mins at the 4/5 in year 1 if pressed into action. It's kind of terrifying thinking that him or JBA would have to eat up the inevitable minutes when Jesse picks up 2 quick ones in the 1st half or a quick 3rd right after the half.
That's fair, but there's a lot of fans both on here and twitter who think guy this may be the best player in the class outside of Mintz and I just don't see it.

That's fair, but there's a lot of fans both on here and twitter who think guy this may be the best player in the class outside of Mintz and I just don't see it.
I'm almost 100% sure that's because they just see the numbers that get posted here from his high school games in VA where he massacres 6'1 centers.

No. Roberson played elite HS hoops in Jersey and went up against Karl Anthony Towns and held his own.

Brown plays in a HS league equal to what Girard played in and while he put up good stats, his numbers went down considerably when he moved up in competition.
Im not saying their performance and competition are comparable.

I just see similarities in their game and while I understand expectations need to be rationalized for Brown (and pretty much the whole class), I think it’s worth pointing out he has a physical foundation, and instinctual traits that can be built upon.

Im not saying their performance and competition are comparable.

I just see similarities in their game and while I understand expectations need to be rationalized for Brown (and pretty much the whole class), I think it’s worth pointing out he has a physical foundation, and instinctual traits that can be built upon.
Roberson was way more athletic.

That’s what happens when you use stats for a player without a lot of minutes, many against subs. Heck, going to an extreme, if you look at SUs advanced metrics and per 40 stats, Chris Lavalle was our best player.
That's not how anybody reasonably uses per 40 numbers, but you know that.

That's not how anybody reasonably uses per 40 numbers, but you know that.

But 80 mins played in a season is sufficient? That was my point by showing an extreme.

But 80 mins played in a season is sufficient? That was my point by showing an extreme.
It's a relative measure that gives you a quick and dirty look answering the question about whether a player does something on the court when they get time.

In this thread, Woody's per 40 numbers are pretty impressive. In contrast, JBA's per 40 numbers suck out loud.

The per 40 numbers help make an easy comparison verifying what the eyes see - when Woody played, things happened. In fact, a pretty good trend of things happened. When JBA plays, his stat accumulation is minutes.

It's the same with Jesse. I was bullish on his improvement because even though he played sparingly as a freshman, things happened.

I'm not arguing anything related to walk-ons and nobody actually cares about per 40s of dudes not on scholarship.

OrangeDW made a good case that when Woody played here, he played well, and the per 40 numbers support that. It's weird people are arguing that or just not getting it.

It's a relative measure that gives you a quick and dirty look answering the question about whether a player does something on the court when they get time.

In this thread, Woody's per 40 numbers are pretty impressive. In contrast, JBA's per 40 numbers suck out loud.

The per 40 numbers help make an easy comparison verifying what the eyes see - when Woody played, things happened. In fact, a pretty good trend of things happened. When JBA plays, his stat accumulation is minutes.

It's the same with Jesse. I was bullish on his improvement because even though he played sparingly as a freshman, things happened.

I'm not arguing anything related to walk-ons and nobody actually cares about per 40s of dudes not on scholarship.

OrangeDW made a good case that when Woody played here, he played well, and the per 40 numbers support that. It's weird people are arguing that or just not getting it.

Not my point. The per 40 is based on minimal usage. What’s the cut off for too few minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom