Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a relative measure that gives you a quick and dirty look answering the question about whether a player does something on the court when they get time...

The per 40 numbers help make an easy comparison verifying what the eyes see...
This is exactly what I said.

Somebody has himself in his bonnet. ;)

Anybody with functioning eyes saw that, albeit in limited minutes, Woody showed a lot of good things.
And fairly consistently too, until he got nailed to the bench.

Other than a few weak-side blocks, and that one game (vs Duke?) Benny really didn’t do dick.
Also in limited minutes.

And both the eye test, and advanced stats bear that out.

Dunno how or why anybody would try to dispute that.
An odd hill to wanna die on.

Anybody with functioning eyes saw that, albeit in limited minutes, Woody showed a lot of good things.

Other than a few weak-side blocks, and that one game (vs Duke?) Benny really didn’t do dick.
Also in limited minutes.

And yet I still believe in Benny.

Also in limited minutes.

He wasn't ready.

Per 40 stats don’t extrapolate for a player that played 87 minutes total (<10% of total potential minutes on the year). He actually played 1.5x that at OK State. What happened? His (per 40) stats declined. You should never seek to validate your assumptions - confirmation bias is real.

Per 40 stats don’t extrapolate for a player that played 87 minutes total (<10% of total potential minutes on the year). He actually played 1.5x that at OK State. What happened? His (per 40) stats declined. You should never seek to validate your assumptions - confirmation bias is real.
I wasn't extrapolating.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Woody didn't play much for us but when he did, he played pretty well.

We’ve got Benny….who was worse than Woody, and a bunch of freshmen.

This is what we’re rolling with?

Woody at least had a few good games here, early. He looked good early on. Wish we had him. Don’t care what’s happening at Ok. St. We’ve literally got zero proven production at forward. Why wouldn’t we want a Junior forward who was a decent recruit and who looked pretty good here when he got the chance?
Listen DavidWood, since you can’t be impartial we aren’t taking your Woody takes serious… we all know you love Woody for the name likeness and not his basketball talent.

I wasn't extrapolating.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Woody didn't play much for us but when he did, he played pretty well.

Let me explain slightly differently. Roughly 50% of Woody’s Syracuse minutes came against MAAC and MAC opponents. 25% of his Syracuse minutes (50% of his Syracuse in-conference minutes) were against BC, a team that ended the year 4-16. Hell, my per 40 numbers would look borderline acceptable if that’s the sample.

Per 40 is always extrapolation unless you’re playing 40mpg. The assumptions being: (1) efficiency remains the same, and (2) your sample is representative.

Let me explain slightly differently. Roughly 50% of Woody’s Syracuse minutes came against MAAC and MAC opponents. 25% of his Syracuse minutes (50% of his Syracuse in-conference minutes) were against BC, a team that ended the year 4-16. Hell, my per 40 numbers would look borderline acceptable if that’s the sample.

Per 40 is always extrapolation unless you’re playing 40mpg. The assumptions being: (1) efficiency remains the same, and (2) your sample is representative.
Just way, way overthinking this.

Listen DavidWood, since you can’t be impartial we aren’t taking your Woody takes serious… we all know you love Woody for the name likeness and not his basketball talent.
th

I think there is great benefit to familiarity, repetition and good fit. Woody would no doubt be in a better place had he stayed than transferred. Same for Brycen and some others who have left.
Same with Guerrier, Braswell and maybe even Kadary. It's wild to see how many guys leave for greener pastures and do worse, or at least not better.
Orange Fizz publication must be reading the Board. Here's an article discussing recent transfers, and concluding that most did worse after leaving. The one exception in the article was stated to be Kadary, although I'd argue that his minutes, stats and productivity would have gone up his Sophomore year at SU as he was exactly what the time needed, so he didn't do any better at SH. Link: Players Transfer from Syracuse for a Reason – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage

Orange Fizz publication must be reading the Board. Here's an article discussing recent transfers, and concluding that most did worse after leaving. The one exception in the article was stated to be Kadary, although I'd argue that his minutes, stats and productivity would have gone up his Sophomore year at SU as he was exactly what the time needed, so he didn't do any better at SH. Link: Players Transfer from Syracuse for a Reason – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage
Here's another one published yesterday: Transfers struggle to find success away from Syracuse

Orangefizz is a poster here.

Yeah. We just gotta get 3 out of the 5 ( Mintz isn't lumped in here) to come in have a good summer working on their game and show they are ready. That is a lot to ask for.. not impossible but a lot.
Assuming we don't get a player to transfer here... We need Mintz, Williams and one of the other forwards to be good starters and one other forward to be a solid rotation player to have a good season.

Edwards
<forward playing 4-5>
Williams
<forward>
Mintz
Girard
Torrence

That's the seven JB is going to play. The forward and backup center spots are going to be filled by some combination of JBA, Carey, Brown, Taylor and Bunch.

The big man spot will be between JBA, Brown and Carey. None of whom seem to be ready for more than evaluation minutes.

The more I look at it, the more I hope they recruit a big forward transfer to start at PF and backup Edwards.

We just won't be very good when Edwards is out.

Assuming we don't get a player to transfer here... We need Mintz, Williams and one of the other forwards to be good starters and one other forward to be a solid rotation player to have a good season.

Edwards
<forward playing 4-5>
Williams
<forward>
Mintz
Girard
Torrence

That's the seven JB is going to play. The forward and backup center spots are going to be filled by some combination of JBA, Carey, Brown, Taylor and Bunch.

The big man spot will be between JBA, Brown and Carey. None of whom seem to be ready for more than evaluation minutes.

The more I look at it, the more I hope they recruit a big forward transfer to start at PF and backup Edwards.

We just won't be very good when Edwards is out.
I think Brown will definitely get some minutes unless we get somebody from the portal. You may be sleeping on Cope. I agree it is hard to see a spot for him right now, but he just might be good enough to work his way into the rotation, he might even have enough size to play some SF.

I see Carey as a definite odd man out. Just can’t see him making a jump to D1 after sitting out two years. He will need a transition season. Bunch is a wildcard here, really just don’t know what to expect from him.

if JBA is part of the rotation, it will mean our fresh are duds.

Last edited:
I think Brown will definitely get some minutes unless we get somebody from the portal. You may be sleeping on Cope. I agree it is hard to see a spot for him right now, but he just might be good enough to work his way into the rotation, he might even have enough size to play some SF.

I see Carey as a definite odd man out. Just can’t see him making a jump to D1 after sitting out two years. He will need a transition season. Bunch is a wildcard here, really just don’t know what to expect from him.

if JBA is part of the rotation, it will mean our fresh are duds.
JBA knows the zone responsibilities and has played with the returning players for 3 seasons. He could also mature in the off season and be a much improved player, I have seen that happen in the past at SU and other schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom