Class of 2020 - PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Newton scored 21 points Friday night. He made five 3-point shots, his last one a contested 3 late in the game that banked in. He can handle the ball at his size. He said after the game his reputation has been forged mostly as a slasher and finisher. He is long and athletic in the Syracuse mode of long, slender forwards. And on Friday, he made shots.

I saw Woody at the UVA game and his dad was there too sitting next to Kennedy Chandler and his family. Woody was really nice and seemed like a very polite kid who is all business. Just an initial impression. His dad was very friendly and seemed like a great guy.

"One look at Woody Newton and it is difficult to see him struggle to fit in at Syracuse. Rangy and active, Newton is tailor made for the Orange’s vaunted 2-3 zone. Better yet, Newton is now playing with much more confidence compared to what he showed throughout the summer and is an equal parts offensive weapon, too. He has put ample amount of energy and time into improving his jumper which he showed by knocking down five perimeter attempts. There is a major ceiling with Newton which should be touched some at Syracuse thanks to the fit and progression track that he remains on."

Seems like something of a KrisJo sorta game?

I’d take that in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile, here’s hoping Kadary learns very, VERY quickly that at Cuse, no D means no PT.

Clearly he’s got the physical ability.
Just needs more “want to”.

(and then maybe he can snowball into something that catches fire?” :p
/ shows self out.;)

Seems like something of a KrisJo sorta game?

I’d take that in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile, here’s hoping Kadary learns very, VERY quickly that at Cuse, no D means no PT.

Clearly he’s got the physical ability.
Just needs more “want to”.

(and then maybe he can snowball into something that catches fire?” :p
/ shows self out.;)

Kadary has that Dion Waiters " I will do whatever the hell I want to" mindset during a game. I tend to wonder if once the lights really come on and the talent level is higher if that changes his tune. Given the talent of this kid I am willing to ride with some of that because of all the positives that still come with.

I like the Kris Joseph comparison to Woody. Would love if he was a bit more assertive and ready to contribute as a freshman than Kris was but I definitely get the comparison.

Kadary has that Dion Waiters " I will do whatever the hell I want to" mindset during a game. I tend to wonder if once the lights really come on and the talent level is higher if that changes his tune. Given the talent of this kid I am willing to ride with some of that because of all the positives that still come with.

I like the Kris Joseph comparison to Woody. Would love if he was a bit more assertive and ready to contribute as a freshman than Kris was but I definitely get the comparison.
Joseph was a pretty decent contributor as a freshman. I'd happily take his freshman year stats out of Newton next season.

Newton played in his second game today at the Prep Showcase. He had 13 points and 2 rebounds (further supports my case he’s not a rebounder) in a 68-63 loss to Woodstock. He was 5-10 from the field, missing all five of his 3-point attempts. He was 3 of 4 from the line.

Newton played in his second game today at the Prep Showcase. He had 13 points and 2 rebounds (further supports my case he’s not a rebounder) in a 68-63 loss to Woodstock. He was 5-10 from the field, missing all five of his 3-point attempts. He was 3 of 4 from the line.

He will fit right in then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom