Class of 2020 - PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Woody's team won and move on to play PSA tomorrow at 7PM.

FYI...
Wednesday’s National Prep Championship at Connecticut College will no longer be open to the public. Only college coaches and credentialed media will be permitted to attend.

Tried to get the link to just the woody highlights but couldn't figure it out. Just follow the link and theres some good ones of him.

Woody is intriguing. His improvement just over the last year is really impressive. He also has added a little weight too or at least that is how it appears.

My favorite part of his game is he seems to really hunt his shot and plays aggressive. Throw out ratings and you see freshman come in and contribute with that trait alone.

He has progressed a TON this year...he does like to hang out around the perimeter a lot tho so hes going to have to get stronger and more aggressive going inside and banging for boards. Handle and permiter shooting has improved greatly. Very impressed with him and I think hes going to be a good one!

He has progressed a TON this year...he does like to hang out around the perimeter a lot tho so hes going to have to get stronger and more aggressive going inside and banging for boards. Handle and permiter shooting has improved greatly. Very impressed with him and I think hes going to be a good one!
He is on the perimeter a lot because that's the offensive set they run. The basically start the offense in the same set every play.

BTW we ran the set a lot in the beginning of the year but started running more traditional motion sets later in the year.

Our 3pt attempts went down and our wins when up. We were 8-7 at one point of the year.

He is on the perimeter a lot because that's the offensive set they run. The basically start the offense in the same set every play.

BTW we ran the set a lot in the beginning of the year but started running more traditional motion sets later in the year.

Our 3pt attempts went down and our wins when up. We were 8-7 at one point of the year.
Good points...he will fit in nicely with what we will want him to do!

If he shoots it well he will play especially if Griffin is not eligible. I'm more concerned about his rebounding than his shot.

Yep. Even if Griffin can play if Woody can be aggressive and productive he could follow a CJ fair like path. Good point on rebounding. It isn't something I've seen a lot of in his tape.

I like how he attacks the rim too.

I think he projects more as a Demetris Nichols or Kris Joseph type than Cj Fair.

That's fair. I think how aggressive he has become this last season gives him a chance to contribute more sooner than Kris or D-Nic did.

I think he projects more as a Demetris Nichols or Kris Joseph type than Cj Fair.
Nicholas seems to me to be the best comparison. He is by all accounts a lights out defender. He appears to be an excellent outside shooter. Not a great rebounder, at least not yet.

Stepback jumpers are pretty sophisticated stuff for a HS senior to have in the tool kit. I am happy with HS seniors who can reliably hit an open jumper. When they can shoot off the move, they have a chance to be pretty special.

Does anyone have more videos of full games of his? Curious to see more of him. I watched the entire PSA game. Couldn't find a box score anywhere but I have him down with the following line:

16 points (I think 11 in the first half)
3 rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks
2 steals
4 turnovers
3/11 shooting inside the arc (I think 1/6 at the rim and 2/5 from mid-range)
3/5 3 point shooting
1/4 free throws
5 fouls (honestly think it should have been 7...they gave one foul to the wrong player instead of him and he got credited with a block on what was clearly a foul)

Some other notes specifically from that game:
  • Really like him as a 1 on 1 defender, gets down into his stance, spreads his arms, and makes it difficult for people to get by.
  • Pretty lazy outside of that though (pretty common in high school), caught leaking out a lot, jogging back on the defense even when he could clearly make a play, etc.
  • Rarely looks to box anyone out and seems pretty weak/tentative in general. His team was pretty dominant on the glass and he's the tallest guy out there and he was a complete non-factor in that regard.
  • He's purely functioning as a spot up shooter and occasional cutter/screener. Turned the ball over whenever he tried to create on his own.
  • Started the game 3/3 from the 3 point line and 2 of them were swishes. Definitely want to see more games of his though...his mechanics aren't very consistent from shot to shot (following through on some shots, not following through on others at all, mostly straight up and down motion on one shot and kicking his legs out and fading unnecessarily the next, etc.
If his shooting stroke is legit, he seems like he'l be a nice fit for us. If he's not really a shooter right now, he has plenty of developing to do because he won't really offer anything offensively outside of that. As I mentioned though, really liked his 1 on 1 defense and he showed good timing for some helpside block/contests as well.

Does anyone have more videos of full games of his? Curious to see more of him. I watched the entire PSA game. Couldn't find a box score anywhere but I have him down with the following line:

16 points (I think 11 in the first half)
3 rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks
2 steals
4 turnovers
3/11 shooting inside the arc (I think 1/6 at the rim and 2/5 from mid-range)
3/5 3 point shooting
1/4 free throws
5 fouls (honestly think it should have been 7...they gave one foul to the wrong player instead of him and he got credited with a block on what was clearly a foul)

Some other notes specifically from that game:
  • Really like him as a 1 on 1 defender, gets down into his stance, spreads his arms, and makes it difficult for people to get by.
  • Pretty lazy outside of that though (pretty common in high school), caught leaking out a lot, jogging back on the defense even when he could clearly make a play, etc.
  • Rarely looks to box anyone out and seems pretty weak/tentative in general. His team was pretty dominant on the glass and he's the tallest guy out there and he was a complete non-factor in that regard.
  • He's purely functioning as a spot up shooter and occasional cutter/screener. Turned the ball over whenever he tried to create on his own.
  • Started the game 3/3 from the 3 point line and 2 of them were swishes. Definitely want to see more games of his though...his mechanics aren't very consistent from shot to shot (following through on some shots, not following through on others at all, mostly straight up and down motion on one shot and kicking his legs out and fading unnecessarily the next, etc.
If his shooting stroke is legit, he seems like he'l be a nice fit for us. If he's not really a shooter right now, he has plenty of developing to do because he won't really offer anything offensively outside of that. As I mentioned though, really liked his 1 on 1 defense and he showed good timing for some helpside block/contests as well.
Excellent analysis. I think the full game against Kadary Richmond from the Hoophall Classic earlier in the year is also viewable if you go to that site (hoophall?, just google). I had very much the same impression as you laid out so nicely point by point. Will need to improve his handle/slashing to be K.Jo, and improve his shooting to be DNic, but a blend of those two would be sweet!

Love his game but as a PF he needs to be able to hit the boards. Hoping that is an area of focus for him if all the comments I am reading here are accurate and rebounding is not a strength. I get how a guy his size could grow into a matchup nightmare but man we need a banger down low.

Love his game but as a PF he needs to be able to hit the boards. Hoping that is an area of focus for him if all the comments I am reading here are accurate and rebounding is not a strength. I get how a guy his size could grow into a matchup nightmare but man we need a banger down low.

Woody is a 3 in college.
Unless he’s the one guy we’re able to put some muscle onto, he’s gonna remain a 3.

Woody is a 3 in college.
Unless he’s the one guy we’re able to put some muscle onto, he’s gonna remain a 3.

We only have forwards, but yes he is much more of a perimeter player and rebounding is not a strength. That's why I compared him to DNic or Krisjo and not Fair who was more of a factor 17 feet and in.

Excellent analysis. I think the full game against Kadary Richmond from the Hoophall Classic earlier in the year is also viewable if you go to that site (hoophall?, just google). I had very much the same impression as you laid out so nicely point by point. Will need to improve his handle/slashing to be K.Jo, and improve his shooting to be DNic, but a blend of those two would be sweet!

Yeah, just found that game. I'll hopefully watch that this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Added bonus that I can watch Kadary in that one too!