Class of 2022 - PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA) | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are overthinking it. The earlier he gets here, the better. A talent like Dior is going to constantly have people in his ear trying to convince him of other alternatives. Even for a mature kid who (seemingly) has his mind made up, this is going to be difficult pressure to ignore

If going to Cuse in 2021-2022 means he is too young to be drafted in the NBA, that seems to increase the probability significantly. He will only be 17 when his freshman year starts, and I can't envision allowing the NBA to draft a 17 year old.

Who cares about any gluts at any positions, or playing time. It will sort itself out. If he actually attends Cuse and we go on a real run, that is the best for the long term. Including recruiting.

I think we are overthinking it. The earlier he gets here, the better. A talent like Dior is going to constantly have people in his ear trying to convince him of other alternatives. Even for a mature kid who (seemingly) has his mind made up, this is going to be difficult pressure to ignore

If going to Cuse in 2021-2022 means he is too young to be drafted in the NBA, that seems to increase the probability significantly. He will only be 17 when his freshman year starts, and I can't envision allowing the NBA to draft a 17 year old.

Who cares about any gluts at any positions, or playing time. It will sort itself out. If he actually attends Cuse and we go on a real run, that is the best for the long term. Including recruiting.

Bingo

I’ll be honest, I had no idea he was considering this. Now that I know this (I have no inside info on this) I wouldn’t be surprised if he is here in 2021. It’ll allow him to get to the NBA a year earlier. The NBA LOVES drafting young talent. That will be Dior. I’ve said it once before, Dior will be a top 5 pick. I fully expect him to kill it his one season at Cuse and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s #1 overall pick type talk by the time he leaves Cuse.

Didn’t see this coming at all. That would put Mac at 100%. Westry still locked for 2022. Beyond that nothing confirmed.

Appreciate your thoughts, but this sounds awfully optimistic. My understanding is Mac is still primarily concerned about PT. That doesn't change if Dior is here. And how can chances not decrease for Westry assuming he stays in 22. Whole point was to team up with Dior.

If you can enlighten us further, that's great.

Didn’t see this coming at all. That would put Mac at 100%. Westry still locked for 2022. Beyond that nothing confirmed.
I’ll be honest, I had no idea he was considering this. Now that I know this (I have no inside info on this) I wouldn’t be surprised if he is here in 2021. It’ll allow him to get to the NBA a year earlier. The NBA LOVES drafting young talent. That will be Dior. I’ve said it once before, Dior will be a top 5 pick. I fully expect him to kill it his one season at Cuse and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s #1 overall pick type talk by the time he leaves Cuse.

Appreciate your thoughts, but this sounds awfully optimistic. My understanding is Mac is still primarily concerned about PT. That doesn't change if Dior is here. And how can chances not decrease for Westry assuming he stays in 22. Whole point was to team up with Dior.

If you can enlighten us further, that's great.
Westry loves Cuse like Dior does. Dior reclassifying loses us Zion per my understanding, not Chance.

I also don’t have any inside info but considering the number of high schools he’s attended I don’t see how he can possibly reclassify

This was a hilariously poor attempt at answering the underlying question

Sorry if I was confusing. I guess I was trying to say he either will be old enough for the draft, or he is trying to graduate from HS at 17 years old.

It seems unlikely that he would have the courses completed to graduate after his junior year.

I’m all for it. It’s the ideal scenario, IMO. JB gets to make his run at it with Buddy still around. Then we theoretically should no longer have issues in 2022 with the Zion, Roddy, and Chance debate on who is the odd man out. And if it helps with Mac, even better. No clue how it effects the recruitment of Zion, and Chance though. Honestly haven’t read back that far, but I think it still works out better to go for it in 2021-2022, even if lose out of those two, though I still feel okay with Chance. Adding Dior to a team that Quincy is probably still around for, along with Buddy, Kadary, JG, Woody, and Frank. Hell, maybe even AG, would be ridiculously lethal, and top 5 without a doubt in my mind. And I forgot Benny. Unreal.

FWIW - I asked my source what the coaches are thinking about this. They are in full mode of "we just need to get him on campus, no matter the year". They have always had the fear of him opting for the nba and recently, doing the g league, so they won't do their usual "no, stay in the 2022 class because that helps us more". They want him on campus period. Now, they know it isn't ideal and wish he would stay in 2022.
My good friend who is an AAU coach in NYC says he doesn't think he can make it with the credits. "Unless I'm wrong on the info, he's in the right class. You can't just move up a grade without the grades and credits and him jumping schools doesn't always transfer properly. Also your dream 2022 class is not going to be as prized recruits as once thought, remove Cruz and Chance out of the scenario but yes, Gayle will definitely be in play".

Again, Take it for what it's worth...just passing a long my texts

FWIW - I asked my source what the coaches are thinking about this. They are in full mode of "we just need to get him on campus, no matter the year". They have always had the fear of him opting for the nba and recently, doing the g league, so they won't do their usual "no, stay in the 2022 class because that helps us more". They want him on campus period. Now, they know it isn't ideal and wish he would stay in 2022.
My good friend who is an AAU coach in NYC says he doesn't think he can make it with the credits. "Unless I'm wrong on the info, he's in the right class. You can't just move up a grade without the grades and credits and him jumping schools doesn't always transfer properly. Also your dream 2022 class is not going to be as prized recruits as once thought, remove Cruz and Chance out of the scenario but yes, Gayle will definitely be in play".

Again, Take it for what it's worth...just passing a long my texts
Yep sounds like we almost need to re-recruit Chance if Dior isn’t around for 2022

If Dior executes his plan:

Plays for Cuse
Brings big time recruits with him
Beats blue bloods in ACC
Makes a legitimate run at a National Championship
Gets drafted in top 5 or 10

In my humble opinion, he may end up being the most beloved recruit/ player Besides Bing and Melo

If Dior executes his plan:

Plays for Cuse
Brings big time recruits with him
Beats blue bloods in ACC
Makes a legitimate run at a National Championship
Gets drafted in top 5 or 10

In my humble opinion, he may end up being the most beloved recruit/ player Besides Bing and Melo

pizza is delicious

Sorry if I was confusing. I guess I was trying to say he either will be old enough for the draft, or he is trying to graduate from HS at 17 years old.

It seems unlikely that he would have the courses completed to graduate after his junior year.
the wild card is covid. lots of online learning, lots of free time to take classes. and if there is a shortened oak hill basketball season (or none at all) then there is even more time available. if you can find needed classes that can be taken asynchronously, you can cram in a lot of learning in down time

having taken several online graduate courses, i can say i find them very time efficient

Last edited:
And it’s not close
dboyf3.jpg

best meme template ever

I be happy to get JJ and Gayle for 2022. It’s the best of both worlds.

Agreed, but apparently we’re in the minority on this one here, and with the staff. I hope it happens honestly. Just don’t see any need to freak out if he ends up coming here a year early. If the worry is based on the notion that he never gets here, then fair enough, but I love the idea of having him on that squad.

He would be the piece that can make that team a bonafide contender. I know we’re all dreaming about the 2022 class being our best ever, and recent history has many thinking the worst always, but I believe that it would work itself out just fine. I mean we have been debating if we have too many options for that class, and may even need to deny a guard, so I doubt they all just disappear if Dior moves up. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong. I just don’t see much of a downside in getting him on campus a year early, if he’s somehow able to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom