Class of 2022 - PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA) | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am partial to the give and go to start the video. He is really good at drawing the defender and then making the right decision and then delivering the ball on time to the big man. Sometimes he has to get creative.
That was an awesome assist and indicative of his I q but teardrops are very difficult

Hang on - we're taking it as a given that Jackson's rebounding totals are comparatively poor because he was so diligent making the effort to get back to prevent a break, when we saw firsthand circumstances where he simply didn't make an effort to get to rebounds in his area?

It's a nice concept, floated by one of our most venerable posters, about a nice kid.

Show of hands, how many people played in an offense at any point in their basketball careers, where the point guard was not the player responsible for rotating back to prevent offensive breaks? At most, the two would either stay back in tandem (which could have been occurring) or would rotate back when the point guard has driven to the basket or is grossly out of position.

Buddy's a poor rebounder. He is not quick to the ball or particularly aggressive. It's just not something he is good at. Why make execuses? He's a elite shooter, and a pretty good scorer. If you want those traits on the court, you'll have to compromise on defense and rebounding (both of which he can improve despite his limitations).

It's a nice concept, floated by one of our most venerable posters, about a nice kid.

Show of hands, how many people played in an offense at any point in their basketball careers, where the point guard was not the player responsible for rotating back to prevent offensive breaks? At most, the two would either stay back in tandem (which could have been occurring) or would rotate back when the point guard has driven to the basket or is grossly out of position.

Buddy's a poor rebounder. He is not quick to the ball or particularly aggressive. It's just not something he is good at. Why make execuses? He's a elite shooter, and a pretty good scorer. If you want those traits on the court, you'll have to compromise on defense and rebounding (both of which he can improve despite his limitations).
Why don’t we just play that Jackson kid that everyone is talking about more?

Yeah, I don’t remember people ever harping on the rebounding ability of a guard, until Buddy. It’s an odd complaint to be sure. Buddy’s rebounding ain’t making a lick of difference either way.
You've missed quite a few of my posts over the years then.

Here's the thing. I'm okay with a guy leaking out if he can score on the break, and we have big guys who can get the boards and score, especially if they finish with authority. That's not Buddy. So, at 6'6", he should at least try to get a board, then follow up with a secondary break where he can stop at the 3 line and fire away.

My apologies for rehashing some already well discussed thoughts here.

Back to Dior...

Great post. The point of your post is that this argument is almost entirely irrelevant. I know we're all starved for any sports discussion of any kind but Buddy isn't and won't be a great rebounder. Does that hurt us? I suppose at times. Would we benefit from improvement in this area? Yes, probably.

But if you look at our last six games, we went 4-2 with the ugly loss to carolina and the OT rock fight loss to Miami. Wins over GT/UNC/BC/Pitt. The point is Buddy's high for rebounds in those games was 2. Having said that we held our own on the boards in 5 of 6, which coincided with Sidibe's emergence as a much more credible big inside (obviously he played really well despite the blowout loss to Carolina). My point, we need quincy G/Sidibe/Marek and maybe Griffin to pound the glass. That's the key to our rebounding.

We need buddy to score, shoot well and space the floor. Ideally he can improve defensively as well, which is probably the biggest key. But rebounding? Would be nice to get a few but doubt it's reason to play or bench him.

I must have been unclear... Defensively, there is little or no difference between the guard positions at the top of the zone. So differentiating between "point" and "shooting" guard when taking about rebounding seemed extraneous... Especially when someone compared him to the worst rebounding guards irrespective of position from the last decade.

I was being facetious about one or the other being assigned to cherry pick.

Although in a given game where an opposing player is known to be bad at getting back...

OK, I agree with that.

So Dior comes and we have him and Buddy with Junior year and 2 year starter JG3 getting what 10-15 minutes a game? Assuming he reclasses and actually steps foot on campus.

Easy for Dior to ball out with a hoodie on since he has ice water in his veins. I’d keel over, and die within 10 minutes.

Reminds me of the time I was playing 2v2 pickup at college and got absolutely smoked by a dude wearing flip flops and eventually barefoot.
I used to play against a guy once in a while that wore those weird toe shoes.

One of the best I've ever seen running the break. I didn't understand it. Probably never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom