Class of 2022 - PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA) | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
College basketball was fine before the one and done rule and will continue to be fine. People love supporting their schools and March Madness will always be March Madness to those who didn't watch much before that week of the year.

Also, gambling becoming legal and morally acceptable throughout the country will only help viewership and interest.

Good on the NBA for doing this
I hate the NBA for doing this.
I actually don't understand how it thinks it will better build player brand equity in the G-League versus in big time college basketball. Who the hell ever cared a whit about what happened in the G-League? Are they thinking someday the G-League championship will be bigger than NCAA conference championships or March Madness?

I also find it sad that the NBA isn't somehow trying to encourage more education. Even if it is one year. It's experientially valuable, and it's significant symbolically.

This is very bad for college basketball. How can people not see that?

It is hit on college basketball. But doesn't the rights of the individual outweigh whats good for the colleges or the NCAA ?

Let the kids go pro whenever they want. Its their life and their decision. College sports will survive, and maybe even flourish when some of the dark money shifts away from the college game.

It is hit on college basketball. But doesn't the rights of the individual outweigh whats good for the colleges or the NCAA ?

Let the kids go pro whenever they want. Its their life and their decision. College sports will survive, and maybe even flourish when some of the dark money shifts away from the college game.
'Rights of the individual' vary depending on context and time.

I actually don't understand how it thinks it will better build player brand equity in the G-League versus in big time college basketball. Who the hell ever cared a whit about what happened in the G-League? Are they thinking someday the G-League championship will be bigger than NCAA conference championships or March Madness?

I also find it sad that the NBA isn't somehow trying to encourage more education. Even if it is one year. It's experientially valuable, and it's significant symbolically.

If anything the NBA was trying to prevent this from happening. Why should they pay money for a G League when they got a NCAA marketing machine for free?

The NBA and the Players Association nave been responding reactively to this issue for 20 years after they created the "players must be one year removed from their HS graduation" rule to enter the draft. Which the NBPA agreed to protect veteran players and the NBA agreed to because owners couldn't control themselves from drafting an unproven teenaged prospect with their top 10 draft pick.

NBA continues to undermine it's college feeder system. But honestly, it would be better for us (and most of CBB) if the one-and-dones were taken out of college. We don't get them. It would improve overall competitiveness instead of having a handful of elite programs getting all of them each year anyway.

'Rights of the individual' vary depending on context and time.

I would respond that in the context of college basketball and the NBA draft in the year 2020, the right of the players to determine when to start their professional career exceed the rights of the colleges, the NCAA, and the fans.

The NCAA has had their chances to allow top players to bring in endorsement and other NIL money during their time in college but they have continuously chose not to. You're definitely going to be more famous playing at Duke or Kentucky than you are in this G-League program so the theoretical marketing money would probably be more than what they will get from this. So if players were allowed to profit off of their likeness its much more likely they elect to go to college for a year.

The NCAA made their bed, now they have to sleep in it or change their made up definition of amateurism.

Its not about making the G-League more popular than college basketball its about paying kids to play basketball and have the chance to do nothing besides develop their game and get ready for the league in a way that college hoops can't match.

Education wise, you think that taking Algebra II is better for future pro basketball players than being put in a developmental program surrounded by people who know how the game is played on and off the court? If they find a way to include some money management education and other opportunities of that nature into what they're developing it can be great for these elite recruits.

Last edited:
I would respond that in the context of college basketball and the NBA draft in the year 2020, the right of the players to determine when to start their professional career exceed the rights of the colleges, the NCAA, and the fans.
You're ignoring that in 2020, baseball and football leagues have different rules and 'expectations of players' rights.'
"Rights" are determined by commerce and billionaires.

No it isn't. There are very few elite kids. Let them go. Some will pan out and many will not. Five star players aren't five star players anymore. They used to be sure things.

The NCAA has had their chances to allow top players to bring in endorsement and other NIL money during their time in college but they have continuously chose not to. You're definitely going to be more famous playing at Duke or Kentucky than you are in this G-League program so the theoretical marketing money would probably be more than what they will get from this. So if players were allowed to profit off of their likeness its much more likely they elect to go to college for a year.

The NCAA made their bed, now they have to sleep in it or change their made up definition of amateurism.

Its not about making the G-League more popular than college basketball its about paying kids to play basketball and have the chance to do nothing besides develop their game and get ready for the league in a way that college hoops can't match.

Education wise, you think that taking Algebra II is better for future pro basketball players than being put in a developmental program surrounded by people who know how the game is played on and off the court? If they find a way to include some money management education and other opportunities of that nature into what they're developing it can be great for these elite recruits.

Agreed, that the NCAA had a chance to thwart this, but i don't agree that that would have been the right thing to do. I'm just not one who believes in paying college players. I'm fine with a consistent stipend for all competitive collegiate sports, to compensate for the inability to get/hold jobs like other college students. I'm just not in favor of a semi-pro system that operates with college logos, that makes it even easier to exploit and break those rules.

By "education," i also specifically included the word 'experience.' My coursework at SU was only like half of my "education." I think it benefits everyone to spend a year or more in a different, more diverse environment than the one in which you grew up. That can't be measured, because you can't live two different streams of existence. But, i'm not going to be convinced it doesn't benefit the typical 18-year old sociologically. The bump in that reasoning is that a spoiled/pampered/star college athlete is probably more isolated from the typical college experience... but still.

I'm also not convinced that the G-League has the same developmental virtues as big time college basketball. But, again, no way to measure that.

Was just coming on here to say that after reading the ESPN article. I think the NCAA needs these top recruits even if just for a year. They mesh well with the storylines around the 4 year kids, especially come March. Zion/Carmelo/Durant were huge for college hoops.

You're ignoring that in 2020, baseball and football leagues have different rules and 'expectations of players' rights.'
"Rights" are determined by commerce and billionaires.

Not for long. Basketball will be the beta testing for baseball, football, hockey. Just a matter of time until this hits all NCAA sports. I don't have to like it, but the writing is on the wall.

All this being said, there is still a good argument to be made to play college sports. An athlete can increase his brand and therefore increase their non-sport revenue out of the gate. But forcing someone to go to college is not the answer.

Not for long. Basketball will be the beta testing for baseball, football, hockey. Just a matter of time until this hits all NCAA sports. I don't have to like it, but the writing is on the wall.

All this being said, there is still a good argument to be made to play college sports. An athlete can increase his brand and therefore increase their non-sport revenue out of the gate. But forcing someone to go to college is not the answer.

Won't happen for football. Beyond skill level, there's a reason why they play 3 years minimum.

Mobley who’s going to USC had the same offer and turned it down

Won't happen for football. Beyond skill level, there's a reason why they play 3 years minimum.

Yeah - if the UFC & NHL will allow 18 year olds to compete, I don't see how the NFL will be able to make that stand up.

Not trying to single you out, but this post happened to highlight what I'm seeing a lot as a misconception about the GLeague program.

Regarding the bold, Jalen Green, Isaiah Todd, and whoever follows them will not be playing in the GLeague championship; my understanding is they won't be playing in official GLeague games at all. They aren't really joining the GLeague; they're joining a training academy under the GLeague umbrella. They'll scrimmage against some GLeague teams, some international teams, etc. but there's no equivalent to a professional or collegiate game with this.

Edit: This is more about trying to prevent kids from going overseas for a year than it is about trying to steal kids from the college system, though I'm sure there will be some overlap in that regard.

Very bad indeed - The quality of the NCAA product will suffer significantly.

I was thinking the same last night as the dog was barking at 3AM. What does a team like Kentucky do if all of the sudden their recruiting class opts for G-League? Or Duke? Do the next recruits in line break from their current committed teams to join suddenly floundering heavy weights? I mean recruiting for 2020 is all but done.

Longer term - do all programs stay away from top 25-30ish recruits for fear they will go straight to G-league?

For SU we have been plagued by guys in the middle - not top 25 good (at least typically) but good enough to think they belong in the NBA and still jump early. Will they too try their hand at G-league hoping to catch on?

I can't blame the kids - 125-500K+ is crazy money for most of us let alone a 18-19 yr old kid. We'd be crazy not to take it but in the long term this could hurt many - many won't make the NBA and a very short lived paycheck with entitlement that comes from being pampered does not often lead to long term financial success.

Just my thoughts.

The G league has already reached out to Chandler Kennedy, evan Mobley, Dalen Terry, Nimari Burnett,and Big Cliff with deals and they all turned them down according to a IG recruting account.

Maybe the NCAA should realize their system sucks and pay the players? Novel concept, I know!

I concur. If it was only that easy.

Get rid of the student athlete concept, hire athletes to play on the college team and to represent the college. They would be part of the marketing department of the college (which is what they are currently in essence anyways) and be paid a salary, get benefits, and be subject to termination for not achieving goals just like any other employee. And pay taxes. And to sign endorsement contracts. And join a union. And they won't have to pretend to be students if they don't want to be, but would be entitled to free tuition if they want to attend classes.

Maybe the NCAA should realize their system sucks and pay the players? Novel concept, I know!
They don't even have to do that. Just let them get their NIL money. Just get it over with haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom