Class of 2022 - PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA) | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he does reclass to 2021. It wouldn't change anything about his draft class. Current rules state that you have to turn 19 in the year you get drafted, in this case, 2023. The exact rules are below.

• All drafted players must be at least 19 years old during the calendar year of the draft.[12] To determine whether a player is eligible for a given year's draft, subtract 19 from the year of the draft. If the player was born during or before that year, he is eligible.
  • Any player who is not an "international player", as defined in the CBA, must be at least one year removed from the graduation of his high school class.

So there is nothing that says- player must meet one of the conditions outlined? It is they must meet both?

I hope he does reclass to 2021. It wouldn't change anything about his draft class. Current rules state that you have to turn 19 in the year you get drafted, in this case, 2023. The exact rules are below.

• All drafted players must be at least 19 years old during the calendar year of the draft.[12] To determine whether a player is eligible for a given year's draft, subtract 19 from the year of the draft. If the player was born during or before that year, he is eligible.
  • Any player who is not an "international player", as defined in the CBA, must be at least one year removed from the graduation of his high school class.
It affects me! How about all the highly ranked recruits he was going to bring in 2022. Now what? That was part of the fun!

Doesn’t rule out G league in 2022.

Joe to the bench. Dior and Buddy would be an unreal combo. Joe would actually become extremely valuable as he could sub for both positions.
Buddy’s man would drop 40 on him. At least Joe is willing to defend and has some dog in him

Yep. Just means he would play for us for a year then make some $ in the g league in 22 before going pro.

The NCAA likeness compensation rules and then adding Zion and Chance maybe favors the other direction. The one thing the G League hasn't accomplished is a higher profile and strong fan support. If they get there quickly then that could be a game changer. I'm not sure that ever happens but just saying...

I’ll pass along a small tidbit which is highly unlikely but could loom large. If Corona prevents dome crowds in 2021, Dior won’t be coming here

I’ll pass along a small tidbit which is highly unlikely but could loom large. If Corona prevents dome crowds in 2021, Dior won’t be coming here

Assuming you mean 2021-22?

Cause there probably won't be huge crowds allowed in 2020-21, and Dior is still in HS anyways.

And if corona is still an issue in 2021-22, we'll all have bigger things to worry about.

Cause there probably won't be huge crowds allowed in 2020-21, and Dior is still in HS anyways.

And if corona is still an issue in 2021-22, we'll all have bigger things to worry about.

Exactly.

How about Westry? And the other guys that Dior was talking to? It doesn't matter, it's wishful thinking on his part. I don't believe he could make it happen.
I agree. Dior is likely still going to be a 2022 recruit. We’ve been on Westry a long time, too, and I think he loves Cuse independent of Dior. Dior coming here just makes it a slam dunk.

Last edited:
Hopefully not being able to move up a year doesn't change anything for Dior from the perspective of coming to Cuse vs G Leaguing it.
That’s a scary but realistic thought

I just don’t see the appeal of the G League for a kid like Dior, even from a career perspective, if the NCAA institutes the NIL rules. Yes, he could get a pro contract with a G League team, but the money is limited. The real money, as recent articles have pointed out, will be in NIL. He can make serious bank from Instagram and social media posts, and that will be amplified from playing in college, much less so in the G League. He’ll be able to exponentially increase his followers playing in college. College basketball gets vastly more media exposure and TV viewership than the G League. That’s what a media savvy kid like Dior will be looking at. Look at all the hype and exposure that Zion got for playing for one year at Duke.

yes, season after next.

So there is nothing that says- player must meet one of the conditions outlined? It is they must meet both?

Yes, they have to meet both requirements. Remember that OJ Mayo was a 19 year old senior but was denied entry to the draft because we wasn't 1 year removed from high school.

I just don’t see the appeal of the G League for a kid like Dior, even from a career perspective, if the NCAA institutes the NIL rules. Yes, he could get a pro contract with a G League team, but the money is limited. The real money, as recent articles have pointed out, will be in NIL. He can make serious bank from Instagram and social media posts, and that will be amplified from playing in college, much less so in the G League. He’ll be able to exponentially increase his followers playing in college. College basketball gets vastly more media exposure and TV viewership than the G League. That’s what a media savvy kid like Dior will be looking at. Look at all the hype and exposure that Zion got for playing for one year at Duke.
Its counterintuitive but the G league is an incredibly stupid move by Dior. He makes 600k and IF he doesn't kill it has blown it. SU provides him with a much better chance to increase his value as he is not playing against grown men trying and willing to do anything to make it. His smart move is SU.

He’s not off limits but you’ve gotta make real points, IMO. Girard’s D wasn’t any better than Buddy’s and the “at least he’s got some dog in him” thing is meaningless too. Buddy comes to play too, he just doesn’t have the personality to where he has to make a show about it.

Thanks for reminding me!!
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online