Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

IMG_20180103_000434.jpg

So I spoke to a high school assistant coach from a prominent NJ school and he told me that everyone was extremely impressed with Jalen at the game the other day (extensive highlights two posts above). He told me that there was a who's who of NJ basketball there and JC really had them buzzing, Dajuan Wagner included.

We got a good one.

One thing I'll add is that the coach said defense seemed optional in the game. Although it was a high-level game, no one was taking a charge or playing much defense. He said that included JC. He said it looked like these players are falling into "AAU habits."

So I spoke to a high school assistant coach from a prominent NJ school and he told me that everyone was extremely impressed with Jalen at the game the other day (extensive highlights two posts above). He told me that there was a who's who of NJ basketball there and JC really had them buzzing, Dajuan Wagner included.

We got a good one.

One thing I'll add is that the coach said defense seemed optional in the game. Although it was a high-level game, no one was taking a charge or playing much defense. He said that included JC. He said it looked like these players are falling into "AAU habits."
Who was Number 1 for the other team? Looks like he would excel under Boeheim

Who was Number 1 for the other team? Looks like he would excel under Boeheim

Yeah that kid looks fantastic. Bryan Antoine. Good looking SG. I guess he is one of top 2019 prospects in the country. One can see why. His list is the big boys...Duke/UK/Kansas/Arizona

Carey looks good. Good scorer. Reminds me of a shorter Tyus Battle. Very good but not an elite athlete who can score in lots of ways.

Last edited:
Last night I drove to West Orange to watch Jalen Carey play. He had a terrific first half. At one point, there was 10 second span where he took over the game by scoring a 3, getting a steal, and then hitting a pull-up jumper which caused West Orange coach to call a timeout. He seems like a very good 3-point shooter at this point. His speed and style of play is a lot like Tyus Battle. What I really liked about his game was he looked a lot like CJ Fair slashing and cutting to the basket. Although West Orange really defended him when he slashed into the lane, with a little more time and body building I could see Jalen Carey being great slasher to the basket type player. Jalen had a really nice dunk that I got a picture of (see below)

Also, for Immaculate, Elijah Hutchins-Everett was sensational! He's been offered by Syracuse (2020), he's only 16 years old! Had I know I would have taken some pictures of Elijah during the game. He's only 16 but he really good on both ends. His offensive game was really good. He was able to make 5-7 foot shots. He made a lot FTs. He had some really nice blocks. I hope we get this guy!

From the Star Ledger summarizing the game:

Jalen Carey dropped 22 points for Montclair Immaculate, ranked No. 13 in the NJ.com Top 20, in its 66-55 win over West Orange in West Orange.

Elijah Hutchins-Everett chipped 19 points in the victory, while Justin Winston added 14 points.

jalen1b.jpg
jalen2b.jpg
jalen3b.jpg

EHE1b.png

Last night I drove to West Orange to watch Jalen Carey play.

A couple of more things. He was very vocal on the court. He was showing really good leadership qualities and skills getting players to move on offense. And he play every single minute of the game which I thought was interesting.

Yeah that kid looks fantastic. Bryan Antoine. Good looking SG. I guess he is one of top 2019 prospects in the country. One can see why. His list is the big boys...Duke/UK/Kansas/Arizona

Carey looks good. Good scorer. Reminds me of a shorter Tyus Battle. Very good but not an elite athlete who can score in lots of ways.
Holy crap. Ranney's #1/Antoine? He's Pippen-esque. [EDIT: Whoa — didn't realize he's 'only' 6'4". He's built and plays like a 6'7" guy.]
#23 for Ranney is pretty good, too, but he prolly deserved a punch in the mush.
Not sure who Carey reminds me of. I liked that he made that end-of-half step back three. Got his stuff handed back to him a couple of times, but he gets to the rim and has a nice mid-range game. I'm not going to expect him to be amazing as a freshman. I'm just going to hope he doesn't 'force' his exit to the nba.

Holy crap. Ranney's #1/Antoine? He's Pippen-esque. [EDIT: Whoa — didn't realize he's 'only' 6'4". He's built and plays like a 6'7" guy.]
Not sure who Carey reminds me of. I liked that he made that end-of-half step back three. Got his stuff handed back to him a couple of times, but he gets to the rim and has a nice mid-range game. I'm not going to expect him to be amazing as a freshman. I'm just going to hope he doesn't 'force' his exit to the nba.
Page 1 has some good clips - Antoine had a nice growth spurt since then.
Class of 2019 - SF Scottie Lewis and SG Bryan Antoine (NJ)

Yeah good call re: Pippen!

It’s really too bad that video quality is horrendous. That dunk is spectacular.

Yea it's a good one! I think jc said there would be a better quality one coming soon but I haven't seen it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom