Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Agree...Hughes may be playing a lot of 3 until Carey figures things out and then maybe a nice split between Frank/Hughes and Carey. I see Carey being effective with 2 good shooters on the floor and but he is on the floor with just 1 shooter teams playing off him daring him to shoot. My feeling is Boeheim will go with the hot shooter between Carey/Hughes and Boeheim (playing 3) and roll with them for that particular game unless one of them is consistently just lights out and can't be taken off the floor. Love to see Carey know how to play the 2 defensively and get into the passing lanes with steals to start fast breaks which he may excel at.

A few things (all my opinion, so no more valid or correct than yours, or anyone else's):

Really don't see Buddy playing the 3, at 6'5" 180 lbs. He's no Stevie Thompson, or even Mali.

Hughes at the 3 means that TWO of OSB, DBaze, and Marek aren't playing at Forward. Not seeing that. At all.
(see also: Buddy at the 3)

Unless Carey comes in and really kills it at both ends, he's likely not starting.
We've had Dion & MCW get stuck behind veteran guards for a year - could happen to Carey too.

JB generally rolls with experience over talented youth, unless that youth just can't not be played because they are so good.
So - odds are your starting 5 are: Frank, Eli, OSB, DBaze, and PC.

Carey first guard to back up both, Marek first forward to back up both, Dib splits time with Chewie.
Buddy gets situational minutes or "Boeheimed". Possible RS?
HoWash gets almost nada, likely RS candidate.

A few things (all my opinion, so no more valid or correct than yours, or anyone else's):

Really don't see Buddy playing the 3, at 6'5" 180 lbs. He's no Stevie Thompson, or even Mali.

Hughes at the 3 means that TWO of OSB, DBaze, and Marek aren't playing at Forward. Not seeing that. At all.

Unless Carey comes in and really kills it at both ends, he's likely not starting.
We've had Dion & MCW get stuck behind veteran guards for a year - could happen to Carey too.

JB generally rolls with experience over talented youth, unless that youth just can't not be played because they are so good.

Carey first guard to back up both, Marek first forward to back up both, Dib splits time with Chewie.

Good summary. I would add these comments:
1) I don't see Buddy shirting. Hughes will start at the 2 and Buddy will back him up. Buddy's not as game-ready as Hughes but he can do more than jack threes. Kid can play and with his high BBIQ, he'll adjust quickly (like Merek).
2) We'll see Carey a lot. He can play either guard position and we could see him and Frank together depending on who's playing well and what matchups we're facing. Yes, it'll be sloppy at first without TYus. But Washington's available (if he doesn't RS) for spot minutes. We're not "elite" at guard (except Carey) but we're pretty loaded.
3) Unless we're playing small ball, I don't see Eli playing the 3 too often. Been there, done that (and got shellacked on the glass).

Last edited:

I don't see any way Washington does not RS. I would say the same if he was 100% healthy. Add in the recovery from the significant injury, and it seems obvious.

Good post. Re: Buddy -- it will be interesting to see if he grows and ends up 6-7, like his older brother. If so, I could definitely see him playing the 3 as a shooter who can also put the ball on the floor. Buddy is legit -- he's no one-dimensional catch and shoot player.

1) I don't see Buddy shirting. Hughes will start at the 2 and Buddy will back him up. Buddy's not as game-ready as Hughes but he can do more than jack threes. Kid can play and with his high BBIQ, he'll adjust quickly (like Merek).
2) We'll see Carey a lot. He can play either guard position and we could see him and Frank together depending on who's playing well and what matchups we're facing. Yes, it'll be sloppy at first without TYus. But Washington's available (if he doesn't RS) for spot minutes. We're not "elite" at guard (except Carey) but we're pretty loaded.
3) Unless we're playing small ball, I don't see Eli playing the 3 too often. Been there, done that (and got shellacked on the glass).
Agree. There was talk that Hughes was being trained as a forward recently, but I think given the dynamics of the team next year, he will need to play 2g. Given that OB will be back, its safe to say both he and Bazley will rarely leave the court. We also know Marek can play and make things happen. More likely all three are playing with Marek at the 5 on defense, than Hughes at the 3 imo. This probably doesn't happen often either if BS gets fully healthy. Good problems to have ideally. With solid leadership and chemistry, this is a very strong team, even without Tyus.

Good post. Re: Buddy -- it will be interesting to see if he grows and ends up 6-7, like his older brother. If so, I could definitely see him playing the 3 as a shooter who can also put the ball on the floor. Buddy is legit -- he's no one-dimensional catch and shoot player.

I really can't wait for the "is Buddy playing because he's JB son" posts to occur as he adjusts to the college game. Obviously sarcasm.

I don't see any way Washington does not RS. I would say the same if he was 100% healthy. Add in the recovery from the significant injury, and it seems obvious.

The issue with that with the current roster is you'd be down to 9 total players. I guess you could burn HW's redshirt but still. I'll also say that HW is not going into this offseason even thinking about taking a redshirt. He wants to play next season. Might not be his decision of course.

The issue with that with the current roster is you'd be down to 9 total players. I guess you could burn HW's redshirt but still. I'll also say that HW is not going into this offseason even thinking about taking a redshirt. He wants to play next season. Might not be his decision of course.
He'll be coming off major surgery. To me, that increases the chances. That and the fact that our depth problems are not at guard next year, but at center and forward (as you know).

He'll be coming off major surgery. To me, that increases the chances. That and the fact that our depth problems are not at guard next year, but at center and forward (as you know).

I'm no doctor but this was not a major injury. Yes, there was a tear but all I'll say is he will be ready to play quicker than you'd think. He will be losing developmental time this offseason and that will hurt him but physically he should be good to go when our games start, barring a setback.

ACL surgeries are wayyy different now than they were 5-10 years ago

This might sound crazy, but I stand by my thoughts on this- torn ACLs aren't as bad now as severe ankle sprains that get overlooked and never get the "credit" they deserve in terms of their significance in the sports (and honestly life) realm. Probability of reinjury, chronic instability, etc. Yes you can often battle through ankle problems but they are a problem because ... you can battle through ankle problems (or so you think).

ACL injuries absolutely take you off the field/court for an extended period short term which is frustrating but the rehabilitation and protocols now are incredibly successful.

I imagine Buddy has a pretty good idea how to play the zone by now

Carey is a stud, reminds of a mix between Steph M & Billups with a little Kenny A & Russell W

A combination of Stephon Marbury, Chauncy Billups, Kenny Anderson and Russell Westbrook is pretty lofty praise
Yeah...could’ve saved some typing and just said pretty much the bet guard to ever play!

Buddy has to play we dont have enough players. I think he is going to do well.

Out 8 weeks from a injury during a workout. Not sure what he did but this was posted by his father. Bummer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom