Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

721Comstock

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Rebounder
My concern with JJ is he is going to wait out for other offers and we are going to take whoever wants to commit first. He might not have a spot if he waits.

No offense, but - that’s not a concern.

That’s what we call a “happy problem”.

Bird in the hand.
Would rather actually land a good player, than hold out hoping for the ‘better’ player, and then end up not getting either.

See: Quade & Matt Coleman.

RF2044

Living Legend
No offense, but - that’s not a concern.

That’s what we call a “happy problem”.

Bird in the hand.
Would rather actually land a good player, than hold out hoping for the ‘better’ player, and then end up not getting either.

See: Quade & Matt Coleman.

Agreed. Eggs aren't in one basket. We'd be lucky to land EITHER Copeland or JJ. Hope we land one of them.

sufandu

Living Legend
Which is good work by the staff to take this approach learning from past failures
We've taken this approach in the past. When we got Jason Hart we had offers out to three guys and told them the first one to commit would get the spot. Shaheen Halloway was one of the others. I can't remember who the third was.

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven
We've taken this approach in the past. When we got Jason Hart we had offers out to three guys and told them the first one to commit would get the spot. Shaheen Halloway was one of the others. I can't remember who the third was.

Mateen Cleaves I think. We also tried doing it with Andre Barrett, Omar Cook, and Taliek Brown but struck out and ended up with James Theus. Needless to say, that may have been the final straw that led to Troy Weaver being brought in.

orangefog

Voted "Best Looking Poster" 8 years in a row
Mateen Cleaves I think. We also tried doing it with Andre Barrett, Omar Cook, and Taliek Brown but struck out and ended up with James Theus. Needless to say, that may have been the final straw that led to Troy Weaver being brought in.
That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowry. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowry for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.

Last edited:

RF2044

Living Legend
That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowrey. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowrey for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.

0 - 2 on BOTH of those situtions.

nyucuse

2nd String
That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowrey. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowrey for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.
We could have had Lowry, but took Wright instead...Lowry had a bit of a pain in the arse reputation at the time (think Dion) causing the staff to think twice and go with JW... Oof, in retrospect

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven
That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowry. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowry for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.

Yeah I always wish we could go back and get a do-over on that one. Having Kyle Lowry on that 2005 team (Hak’s senior year) would’ve been nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom