Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern with JJ is he is going to wait out for other offers and we are going to take whoever wants to commit first. He might not have a spot if he waits.

No offense, but - that’s not a concern.

That’s what we call a “happy problem”.

Bird in the hand.
Would rather actually land a good player, than hold out hoping for the ‘better’ player, and then end up not getting either.

See: Quade & Matt Coleman.

Bird in the hand.
Would rather actually land a good player, than hold out hoping for the ‘better’ player, and then end up not getting either.

Agreed. Eggs aren't in one basket. We'd be lucky to land EITHER Copeland or JJ. Hope we land one of them.

Which is good work by the staff to take this approach learning from past failures
We've taken this approach in the past. When we got Jason Hart we had offers out to three guys and told them the first one to commit would get the spot. Shaheen Halloway was one of the others. I can't remember who the third was.

We've taken this approach in the past. When we got Jason Hart we had offers out to three guys and told them the first one to commit would get the spot. Shaheen Halloway was one of the others. I can't remember who the third was.

Mateen Cleaves I think. We also tried doing it with Andre Barrett, Omar Cook, and Taliek Brown but struck out and ended up with James Theus. Needless to say, that may have been the final straw that led to Troy Weaver being brought in.

Mateen Cleaves I think. We also tried doing it with Andre Barrett, Omar Cook, and Taliek Brown but struck out and ended up with James Theus. Needless to say, that may have been the final straw that led to Troy Weaver being brought in.
That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowry. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowry for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.

Last edited:
That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowrey. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowrey for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.

0 - 2 on BOTH of those situtions.

That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowrey. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowrey for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.
We could have had Lowry, but took Wright instead...Lowry had a bit of a pain in the arse reputation at the time (think Dion) causing the staff to think twice and go with JW... Oof, in retrospect

That was also the approach with Josh Wright, AJ Price and Kyle Lowry. IIRC, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt were all looking for point guards. And, all were focused on these three. AJ Price pulled the trigger for UConn first, then Josh Wright for Syracuse leaving Kyle Lowry for Pitt. But, he didn’t want Pitt. So, he went to Nova even though they were stacked at guard. Jay Wright made it work. At least, that’s how I remember it playing out, I may be way off.

Yeah I always wish we could go back and get a do-over on that one. Having Kyle Lowry on that 2005 team (Hak’s senior year) would’ve been nice.

Spectacular bricked dunk attempt? Check!

Lotta Silent G in that one there.

Kids a great shooter, nice driver and finisher, but I don’t think I saw one assist.

Spectacular bricked dunk attempt? Check!

Lotta Silent G in that one there.

Kids a great shooter, nice driver and finisher, but I don’t think I saw one assist.
I’ve watched a few complete games of his at LaLumiere. He plays off the ball and is more of a scorer. But, he is a good passer with decent vision.

I’ve watched a few complete games of his at LaLumiere. He plays off the ball and is more of a scorer. But, he is a good passer with decent vision.
He's a shooter. Doesn't have to spot up - can shoot off the move, and can create space to shoot off the bounce. Looks like an ideal 2/combo

He's a shooter. Doesn't have to spot up - can shoot off the move, and can create space to shoot off the bounce. Looks like an ideal 2/combo
I agree. I heard he had a nice stroke, and he sure does. But, I was really impressed by how well he drives and finishes. He has a great pace and he is so in control, and when he reaches the basket, he finishes with creativity and sneaky athleticism. He’s so smooth you don’t even realize how difficult the move and finish just were.

Bird in the hand.

for sure this staff has been left holding the flowers more than once

I just think JJ is going to wait too long to come here.

I get the same feeling.

It's kinda like the feels the hometown offer is in the bag, and he's now trying to see if there's anything he likes better.

But in the meantime, if Quadir or Chance verbal, then that's probably his spot going away.
Especially since we already have Lands, and are also prioritizing Taylor.
We can only take so many guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.