Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Dean he seems to expect JJ to take a visit to Duke still and wouldn't be surprised if others get involved. Especially after the performances hes putting up. Nice to see us show up with the full house of coaches...I really hope this kid decides he wants to stay home. Scheyer might really start to turn up the heat now. I think this one might get more complicated for JJ with all the attention he'll be getting.

Yeah you know that Duke and Scheyer absolutely don't want ACC foes grabbing kids like JJ while you are trying to have a successful transfer from a HOF coach. Obviously they will want him for themselves too but it's playing both sides of that coin for Duke.

We didn’t give JJ enough love in the beginning as we considered other players ahead of him

I think he took offense

I want him bad but not optimistic
So much wrong with this post.

Syracuse offered JJ almost 2 years ago. We were his first high major offer.

It is a standard practice to offer multiple players for each open position.

What would you do differently? Only offer JJ? Offer him before his freshman season of high school? I seriously want to know. If you want to second guess this recruitment, at least have the decency to tell us all what should have been done instead.

The staff identified him as a top prospect well before any other major program. We have never wavered in our interest and desire to sign JJ. I have no issues with how the staff played this. Let’s hope JJ agrees.

Well if we don’t get JJ it’s not for lack of effort. This is the hardest we’ve recruited a kid in some time in my opinion. Very rarely do you see all 4 coaches show up to watch your game, that alone tells you how much we want this kid. I also know behind the scenes the coaches have been working their tails off with this kid and JB is very involved

We didn’t give JJ enough love in the beginning as we considered other players ahead of him

I think he took offense

I want him bad but not optimistic
Sure some of what you say might be true...but do we know if he took offense to it? We definitely could've showed some more love early on but we had Dior at that time and JJ was more of a luxury. I think for quite some time now JJ has been priority and we have put the work in so let's see how it plays out. Duke/Bama/Maryland havent exactly been all in on him for a long time either. Duke is more recent. We have a lot of things going for us and I doubt what we were doing a year or 2 ago will change much in his recruitment. It wasn't like we stopped recruiting him we just didn't go all in early on. We have definitely been all in for a little while now. Going to be what JJ is looking for and it won't be for lack of trying from our coaches thats for damn sure! Phluck Duke anyways... :)

Can't worry about Duke. I've said it in other threads, them (and UK) have so many more NBA players than any other college team, they are playing on a different level. They have dudes with NBA contracts over 800 million dollars. They have two of the most liked players by kids in Kyrie and Zion (who are also two very well endorsed players by Nike).

If UK or Duke come calling, we just have to keep plugging away. We're throwing an armada at this kid and offered early (as sutomcat noted above).

While we don't have the aggregate to showcase NBA success, JB does have a track record of putting guards into the NBA (or at least getting them paid to play pro elsewhere) and gives them a decent amount of autonomy in our offense, even guys that feel like they want to heat check. He's also been open in how he blurs the traditional PG and SG roles to be more flexible there, which is in line with where the NBA is going.

Sure some of what you say might be true...but do we know if he took offense to it? We definitely could've showed some more love early on but we had Dior at that time and JJ was more of a luxury. I think for quite some time now JJ has been priority and we have put the work in so let's see how it plays out. Duke/Bama/Maryland havent exactly been all in on him for a long time either. Duke is more recent. We have a lot of things going for us and I doubt what we were doing a year or 2 ago will change much in his recruitment. It wasn't like we stopped recruiting him we just didn't go all in early on. We have definitely been all in for a little while now. Going to be what JJ is looking for and it won't be for lack of trying from our coaches thats for damn sure! Phluck Duke anyways... :)
Yup. No matter what happens here can’t fault the staff in starling’s recruitment

JJ finishes Pool Play at Peach Jam averaging 15.8 PPG (41%FG/85%FT/24%3P), 2.2 RPG, 2.4 APG (3.4 TOPG), 1.0 SPG, 0.2 BPG over 5 games.

He had his worst game earlier tonight only scoring 5 points. In the afternoon game, he played his best game but to me looked injured at moments (like he wasn't moving at 100%).

Last edited:
So much wrong with this post.

Syracuse offered JJ almost 2 years ago. We were his first high major offer.

It is a standard practice to offer multiple players for each open position.

What would you do differently? Only offer JJ? Offer him before his freshman season of high school? I seriously want to know. If you want to second guess this recruitment, at least have the decency to tell us all what should have been done instead.

The staff identified him as a top prospect well before any other major program. We have never wavered in our interest and desire to sign JJ. I have no issues with how the staff played this. Let’s hope JJ agrees.
Simply this… when Dior was being courted we were also very interested in Zion and Gayle.
I was aware of JJ and his offer but to me he felt like an also ran. All the hype was on the others.

Of course I don’t disagree with offering multiple players at a position. I am merely saying that he didn’t appear to be the top priority he is now.

So in order for me to have this perception I must come to the table with a recruiting solution? I don’t think so.

Simply this… when Dior was being courted we were also very interested in Zion and Gayle.
I was aware of JJ and his offer but to me he felt like an also ran. All the hype was on the others.

Of course I don’t disagree with offering multiple players at a position. I am merely saying that he didn’t appear to be the top priority he is now.

So in order for me to have this perception I must come to the table with a recruiting solution? I don’t think so.

And Duke offered a month ago lol.

No, you don't need to come up with a recruiting solution.

You said SU didn't give JJ enough love. I pointed out they gave him a lot of love and asked what would you did differently. Crickets.

So you have nothing except a bad read of how JJ was recruited. That is cool.

Zion offered by SU on 8/23/2019.

JJ was offered by SU on 8/26/2019 (after he played really well at the SU Elite Camp).

Roddy Gayle wasn't even offered until November of 2019.

Again, we were the first high major to offer JJ. We didn't pursue some other players hard first and use him as a fall back option. We were the first big time program to recognize he was special and make an offer.

Just wanted to state some facts to correct some bad perceptions. I suspect you picked up on some things others were saying. Your are a good poster and I don't mean to pick on you.

No, you don't need to come up with a recruiting solution.

You said SU didn't give JJ enough love. I pointed out they gave him a lot of love and asked what would you did differently. Crickets.

So you have nothing except a bad read of how JJ was recruited. That is cool.

Zion offered by SU on 8/23/2019.

JJ was offered by SU on 8/26/2019 (after he played really well at the SU Elite Camp).

Roddy Gayle wasn't even offered until November of 2019.

Again, we were the first high major to offer JJ. We didn't pursue some other players hard first and use him as a fall back option. We were the first big time program to recognize he was special and make an offer.

Just wanted to state some facts to correct some bad perceptions. I suspect you picked up on some things others were saying. Your are a good poster and I don't mean to pick on you.
No I don’t take offense at all. I do recognize the stellar recruiting effort our coaches are making and yes they were on him early and made the right moves best they could.
Perhaps me saying he wasn’t given enough love is inaccurate. Frankly I have no clue.

But…. at the time we were courting Dior etc. would the staff have taken JJ early on with the same enthusiasm they have now.

I truly hope we get him and I’m wrong

No I don’t take offense at all. I do recognize the stellar recruiting effort our coaches are making and yes they were on him early and made the right moves best they could.
Perhaps me saying he wasn’t given enough love is inaccurate. Frankly I have no clue.

But…. at the time we were courting Dior etc. would the staff have taken JJ early on with the same enthusiasm they have now.

I truly hope we get him and I’m wrong

Well - we thought we had "our guy". We actually DID have our guy, for a hot minute.
Hard to keep going after other guys with the same enthusiasm, when everybody knows you already have a guy for that position.

All of which is why we cut bait w/ Dior, since it became clear that he was:
uber high maintenance,
would likely never play in college (still TBD),
all of which would then likely block us from getting a proper replacement.

Much of that "other" hype, outside of Dior (who I believe Boeheim said he never accepted the commitment), was a board created fact. Personally, I don't think the staff ever stopped recruiting JJ as a priority. However, imo, a lot of posters on this board were enamored with other prospects and pushed the narrative that he wasn't a priority.

JJ is a great player who is continuing to get better (I've seen him live on several occasions) and I hope he plays for SU.

Much of that "other" hype, outside of Dior (who I believe Boeheim said he never accepted the commitment), was a board created fact. Personally, I don't think the staff ever stopped recruiting JJ as a priority. However, imo, a lot of posters on this board were enamored with other prospects and pushed the narrative that he wasn't a priority.

JJ is a great player who is continuing to get better (I've seen him live on several occasions) and I hope he plays for SU.
Host post ty

"I don't know if there is any kind of clear leader for JJ Starling at this point, but I do think some prime competitors are starting to emerge.

The top 40 guard from New York who attends La Lumiere in Indiana will definitely be setting up some fall visits and my understanding that finding a great balance between hoops and high end academics is going to play a very large role in making his decision.

I would never want to rule out Syracuse. A return home is always appealing and the Orange are typically strong with kids who grew up with a great knowledge of the program. Duke has turned things up a bit of late and watched him a lot over the last weekend so they'll certainly be in the mix. Stanford is another that looks to be a very legitimate option as well. Those are three that stand out to me. A few others that I would maybe keep an eye on as programs in shouting distance are Maryland, Northwestern, Notre Dame and UConn."

JJ finishes Pool Play at Peach Jam averaging 15.8 PPG (41%FG/85%FT/24%3P), 2.2 RPG, 2.4 APG (3.4 TOPG), 1.0 SPG, 0.2 BPG over 5 games.

He had his worst game earlier tonight only scoring 5 points. In the afternoon game, he played his best game but to me looked injured at moments (like he wasn't moving at 100%).
How did Brett Rumpel look?

"I don't know if there is any kind of clear leader for JJ Starling at this point, but I do think some prime competitors are starting to emerge.

The top 40 guard from New York who attends La Lumiere in Indiana will definitely be setting up some fall visits and my understanding that finding a great balance between hoops and high end academics is going to play a very large role in making his decision.

I would never want to rule out Syracuse. A return home is always appealing and the Orange are typically strong with kids who grew up with a great knowledge of the program. Duke has turned things up a bit of late and watched him a lot over the last weekend so they'll certainly be in the mix. Stanford is another that looks to be a very legitimate option as well. Those are three that stand out to me. A few others that I would maybe keep an eye on as programs in shouting distance are Maryland, Northwestern, Notre Dame and UConn."
Kudos on the question and getting it answered.

How did Brett Rumpel look?
Rumpel has been pretty good. Really quick. Gets a little out of control at times. Solid numbers.
In 5 games, he's averaged 9.8 PPG. The 3rd game he played 18 minutes and only scored 1 point. His other games have been 10, 12, 12, 14. Shooting 62% from the field. Made his one and only three. Also averaging 5.0 RPG and 2.6 APG (3.6 TOPG).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom