Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think in any event Cuse has an easier road to immediate PT for Starling. Plus Quadir would be the best of both worlds for him, a good kid to improve against in practice but a guy he feels he can beat out for playing time.
I worry about Alabama in this recruitment. They must be printing NIL $ down there. Time for Weisman to step up.
Bama worries me more then the others. Oats has been on one. Yukon is interesting too because of his relationship with the Jackson boys...

The Peach Jam tournament, the premier high school basketball showcase event that annually attracts the best college prospects from around the country — and team sponsors like LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Russell Westbrook — is limping to Sunday’s finish line after players on at least five boys’ teams tested positive for the virus in recent days.

Among them are two prominent players from New York: Kyle Filipowski, a 6-foot-11 forward who is being heavily targeted by Duke and Kentucky among others, and J.J. Starling, a 6-foot-4 guard who is considering Syracuse, Stanford, Alabama, Connecticut and Notre Dame among a long list of suitors.

Starling’s father, Patrick, said his son tested positive for the virus on Monday and initially had a headache and fever. According to Patrick, none of J.J.’s teammates had tested positive. Isolating in his hotel room, the younger Starling streamed his team’s Wednesday game on his phone and his dad provided orange juice and flu medicines. Though J.J.’s feeling better, the Starlings may have to remain here until he can test negative in order to fly home. His next test was scheduled for Friday.

“He’s hurting by not being out here playing,” Patrick said. “He’s been waiting for two years to be able to compete here. All these players deserve to be here. It’s the biggest opportunity of all.”

terrible. That answers why some guys haven’t been playing.

You would think in any event Cuse has an easier road to immediate PT for Starling. Plus Quadir would be the best of both worlds for him, a good kid to improve against in practice but a guy he feels he can beat out for playing time.
I worry about Alabama in this recruitment. They must be printing NIL $ down there. Time for Weisman to step up.
Bama is getting Jaden Bradley I'm not too worried about them

Bama is getting Jaden Bradley I'm not too worried about them
So who do u see as the main competition for him right now? Hard for me to dismiss bama when they've been on him just as hard as everyone else. Hopefully your right and Bradley goes there and Dariq goes to Duke...that would make us look that much more appealing even if we land Copeland.

The Peach Jam tournament, the premier high school basketball showcase event that annually attracts the best college prospects from around the country — and team sponsors like LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Russell Westbrook — is limping to Sunday’s finish line after players on at least five boys’ teams tested positive for the virus in recent days.

Among them are two prominent players from New York: Kyle Filipowski, a 6-foot-11 forward who is being heavily targeted by Duke and Kentucky among others, and J.J. Starling, a 6-foot-4 guard who is considering Syracuse, Stanford, Alabama, Connecticut and Notre Dame among a long list of suitors.

Starling’s father, Patrick, said his son tested positive for the virus on Monday and initially had a headache and fever. According to Patrick, none of J.J.’s teammates had tested positive. Isolating in his hotel room, the younger Starling streamed his team’s Wednesday game on his phone and his dad provided orange juice and flu medicines. Though J.J.’s feeling better, the Starlings may have to remain here until he can test negative in order to fly home. His next test was scheduled for Friday.

“He’s hurting by not being out here playing,” Patrick said. “He’s been waiting for two years to be able to compete here. All these players deserve to be here. It’s the biggest opportunity of all.”

Well, this unfortunately explains why so many kids appeared to be dropping out.

So who do u see as the main competition for him right now? Hard for me to dismiss bama when they've been on him just as hard as everyone else. Hopefully your right and Bradley goes there and Dariq goes to Duke...that would make us look that much more appealing even if we land Copeland.
UNC is biggest. Duke second. ND/Stanford dark horses IMO. But just IMO

There isnt a world where both JJ and Q come here unfortunately. Yes, I get it they COULD play together but it isnt happening. They have been stalling Q’s commitment but they arent gonna wait forever

There isnt a world where both JJ and Q come here unfortunately. Yes, I get it they COULD play together but it isnt happening. They have been stalling Q’s commitment but they arent gonna wait forever

That's how it looks to me, too. Take Copeland. We already have two recruits who could play 2G.

I actually think we might be better off with Copeland since he's tall for our zone, and a pure point guard. Don't get me wrong I'd be thrilled with landing JJ because he's a special talent too, but my gut is telling me Copeland is a better fit for our system... plus I just love his swagger and confidence.

I actually think we might be better off with Copeland since he's tall for our zone, and a pure point guard. Don't get me wrong I'd be thrilled with landing JJ because he's a special talent too, but my gut is telling me Copeland is a better fit for our system... plus I just love his swagger and confidence.

Two totally different players. JJ is an elite scorer and shooter -- he's a pure 2. Lots of posters have expressed the belief that he's a combo who could play 1 for us, but that isn't his strength.

Ultimately, it was unlikey that we'd be able to bring in Lands, Taylor, AND JJ. Plus another guard [Copeland, Westy, etc.] on top of that logjam. It was exciting to think about, but probably not realistic.

JJ is compelling because he's local, and NIL considerations could be more beneficial staying local [versus being just another 5-star in an assembly line at say, Duke]. But I've always felt like the most likely outcome would be to land 2 of Lands / Taylor / JJ... and we did.

Last edited:
Two totally different players. JJ is an elite scorer and shooter -- he's a pure 2. Lots of posters have expressed the belief that he's a combo who could play 1 for us, but that isn't his strength.

Ultimately, it was unlikey that we'd be able to bring in Lands, Taylor, AND JJ. Plus another guard [Copeland, Westy, etc.] on top of that logjam. It was exciting to think about, but probably not realistic.

JJ is compelling because he's local, and NIL considerations could be more beneficial staying local [versus being just another 5-star in an assembly line at say, Duke]. But I've always felt like the most likely outcome would be to land 2 of Lands / Taylor / JJ... and we did.
You've always thought that Lands was likely?

You've always thought that Lands was likely?

Originally I actually thought that Lands was a longshot compared to say, Ty Rodgers.

What I didn't account for [and subsequently learned] is that Lands got turned on to us when he was a freshman at La Lumiere, as a teammate of Isaiah Stewart, who we were recruiting. Although we were unsuccessful with Stewart, Lands started paying attention to us and became a fan. The coaching staff was surprised when he wanted to commit prior to visiting, but you don't turn a kid like him down. Making that early impression paid off.

What I said in the post above is that I believed we'd land two guys from that group of wings. Lands indicated that the staff told him he could play 2. Taylor indicated that the staff told him that he will step right into Buddy's role at 2. Something's gotta give. Landing JJ would be amazing -- but that's a lot of positional duplication.

Sure, Lands / Taylor can also play the 3. And coaches say thing during the recruiting process. Taking Taylor -- and I have zero negative reactions to the coaches landing this kid -- made it difficult to also land JJ. Ultimately, if JJ wants to come here, he will and the coaches will gladly accept. But he probably isn't the answer at 1, and he'd create difficulty at the 2 -- given the new transfer rules. For example, would Taylor bail after a year, because his family would be displeased that JB didn't live up to the promises made on the recruiting trail?

So, I figured that with all of the fantastic irons we had in the fire, we couldn't go wrong. But that it would be more likely to land 2 of the 3, then focus on finding a PG and a big to finish out the class. Bunch on top of that would be gravy, but if he chooses SU it's probably with the caveat that he has to wait a year for the likes of Lands and / or Benny to move on.

Originally I actually thought that Lands was a longshot compared to say, Ty Rodgers.

What I didn't account for [and subsequently learned] is that Lands got turned on to us when he was a freshman at La Lumiere, as a teammate of Isaiah Stewart, who we were recruiting. Although we were unsuccessful with Stewart, Lands started paying attention to us and became a fan. The coaching staff was surprised when he wanted to commit prior to visiting, but you don't turn a kid like him down. Making that early impression paid off.

What I said in the post above is that I believed we'd land two guys from that group of wings. Lands indicated that the staff told him he could play 2. Taylor indicated that the staff told him that he will step right into Buddy's role at 2. Something's gotta give. Landing JJ would be amazing -- but that's a lot of positional duplication.

Sure, Lands / Taylor can also play the 3. And coaches say thing during the recruiting process. Taking Taylor -- and I have zero negative reactions to the coaches landing this kid -- made it difficult to also land JJ. Ultimately, if JJ wants to come here, he will and the coaches will gladly accept. But he probably isn't the answer at 1, and he'd create difficulty at the 2 -- given the new transfer rules. For example, would Taylor bail after a year, because his family would be displeased that JB didn't live up to the promises made on the recruiting trail?

So, I figured that with all of the fantastic irons we had in the fire, we couldn't go wrong. But that it would be more likely to land 2 of the 3, then focus on finding a PG and a big to finish out the class. Bunch on top of that would be gravy, but if he chooses SU it's probably with the caveat that he has to wait a year for the likes of Lands and / or Benny to move on.
You may have been thinking "group of wings", but what you said was "Lands". Which is why I asked the question.

As you mentioned in the first paragraph above, "The coaching staff was surprised. . ." If the staff didn't know, I doubt you did.

You may have been thinking "group of wings", but what you said was "Lands". Which is why I asked the question.

As you mentioned in the first paragraph above, "The coaching staff was surprised. . ." If the staff didn't know, I doubt you did.

I read it pretty clearly as we got Lands and then with him in the fold he figured we would get one of the other two not both.

I have no idea how you came to that interpretation from the post you originally responded to. What I actually said was that we had a trio of players -- Lands, Taylor, and JJ -- and that it was most likely that we'd land two of them, because JJ probably is not someone we'd want to hand the ball to at lead guard. Not sure why you're singling out Lands specifically based upon what I wrote.

Last edited:

Let’s not forget he grew up a Marvin Harrison fan while living in Indy.

9CE10592-7C16-4FF0-BB75-20694DC931F3.jpeg

Makes sense. I get the feeling from what I've read (only) that JJ isn't particularly interested in staying home so to speak. He strikes me as wanting to go out and see the world. So I expect we will end up in 2nd place with him. Hey if he goes somewhere and he's not happy we could get him as a transfer down the road. The interesting kid is Bunch. He looks like he might be more ready to play as a freshman than Taylor (based on Peach Jam) -- who could be a real nice player but need a year to develop more. In an open competition I wouldn't bet against Chris Bunch winning the SG spot. I like Copeland's potential as a pure PG but he may need a year off the bench and that works with JGIII still there for that year. This looks like the best recruiting class in years if we can get Bunch and Copeland.

I think there's playing time for Bunch. With Jimmy moving on he'd only need one of Swider or Benny to go after one season.

It's possible that for 2 seasons in a row we may have a completely new 3 man rotation at forward, if both go.

Status
Not open for further replies.