Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arbitrary: 20 years is arbitrary and irrelevant. Stanford has a better record of NBA success while the current recruits have been in HS. That’s relevant. They don’t care about Douglas, Coleman, Owens, etc. They want to know what the coach will do to get them to the next level. JJ grew up here, and he’s not convinced JB can get him to the pros.
Keep the Orange tinted glasses on and ignore the real world: the best players want to go where they know they will run a pro offense and defense.
20 years ago is 2001. Coleman, Owens and Douglas played in the late 80s/early 90s. No one’s talking about the late 80s. And way to trot out the tired ol “orange tinted glasses” argument. So clever. JB has gotten plenty of players to the NBA in the last 10 years.

In what world are people saying JB can't get players drafted? Anyone that does is a moron. I was responding to you stating that Stanford is not a hot spot for getting players drafted when they've done it 3 years in a row and just had a guy go in the lotto 2 weeks ago. They have another top 20 kid coming in this year so that's likely to continue.

They have way better weather and academics along with a better campus but we are the hometown school with a legendary coach and the ACC is a superior conference. He can't really go wrong with either choice. If you're a kid and get admitted to Stanford, that's near impossible to turn down.
I feel like nobody in the country talks about weather, until Syracuse is involved. Kid grew up here, I doubt he cares about that.

If JJ wants to make the NBA, he should play at a school that’s actually relevant during the season or in March Madness. Do most fans even know the name of the Stanford coach? Jarod Haase has an illustrious record of 82-73 at Stanford and has made a grand total of one NCAA tourney in his career, none while at Stanford.

Last edited:
I feel the need to call out bad logic. If you have to go back 20 years to try to convince a high schooler your relevant, you’ve got problems.
You know, back in the day the Dome would really be rocking. We had great players and the Big East was really something. You should play here because of what we did before you even knew what basketball was.”
Weak.
Sell them on what is, not what was.

It shows that we're always good. Like always in the game (even in down times).

I feel the need to call out bad logic. If you have to go back 20 years to try to convince a high schooler your relevant, you’ve got problems.
You know, back in the day the Dome would really be rocking. We had great players and the Big East was really something. You should play here because of what we did before you even knew what basketball was.”
Weak.
Sell them on what is, not what was.
You’re right. Nobody at UNC talks about Michael Jordan either...

JJ Starling, folks.

Take the other BS to the main board.

Fair warning. Final warning.
Just when we were building up to the local economy and hiking trails being mentioned as reasons why he shouldn’t come here...

He can go back later, for FREE, and finish up his degree.

From Stanford.

Also - he’s one injury away from academics being Plan B, to being his only plan.

If he’s interested in the highest quality education he can get - and he appears to be - then why not pursue that?

That education - whenever he completes it - will set him up exceptionally well.

How

Many

NBA (non-graduates)

Actually

Go

Back

And

Get

Their

Degree?

Oh yeah, and from the same school?

Come on, man. Not to say that some don't, but lets be real.

How

Many

NBA (non-graduates)

Actually

Go

Back

And

Get

Their

Degree?

Oh yeah, and from the same school?

Come on, man. Not to say that some don't, but lets be real.
It doesn’t matter how many people actually do it - if it IS JJs plan then what’s the difference how many people have or have not done it?

It doesn’t matter how many people actually do it - if it IS JJs plan then what’s the difference how many people have or have not done it?
Zero. My point is that some here are acting like this is likely and it's really not for the vast majority of top talent. I just don't think we're losing JJ to Stanford over academics (unless you have some inside info on the topic with the young man).

Scottie Pippen, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Kobe Bryant, Maurice Cheeks, Dennis Rodman, EArl Monroe, Tree Rollins, etc., approve of this message.

JJ could go to Syracuse, Stanford, Duke, Akron, Oswego, wherever. He's getting a shot at the NBA. It's where he wants to spend November-March to get ready.

JJ could go to Syracuse, Stanford, Duke, Akron, Oswego, wherever. He's getting a shot at the NBA. It's where he wants to spend November-March to get ready.
Yeah, people who think playing in the tournament makes you a pro don’t get it. Still gotta have the measures led and the good-great workouts

Yes and no. People act like it doesn't matter if you play for a solid team or make a tournament run. For the top top guys, that's true. But for a guy like Malachi Richardson, who is not a similar player but was ranked similarly, if he hadn't been on a team that made a tourney run and stole the show, he would have been back for a 2nd year and possibly never been paid NBA 1st round money.

Yes and no. People act like it doesn't matter if you play for a solid team or make a tournament run. For the top top guys, that's true. But for a guy like Malachi Richardson, who is not a similar player but was ranked similarly, if he hadn't been on a team that made a tourney run and stole the show, he would have been back for a 2nd year and possibly never been paid NBA 1st round money.
What are you basing this on? I think often people confuse what fans get to see (because of what is televised) versus what scouts get paid to see, find, and research. I think Malichi would have been drafted in a similar position and year regardless of that tourney run.

What are you basing this on? I think often people confuse what fans get to see (because of what is televised) versus what scouts get paid to see, find, and research. I think Malichi would have been drafted in a similar position and year regardless of that tourney run.
Nonsense. Look at his stats. He wasn't efficient at all until the tourney.

He wasn't on a single draft board prior to that tournament run, let alone a first round pick. The article below from ESPN touches on it. It was all but assumed he would be back. If he hadn't had that run, and his season ends without the dance, there's no way he goes in the 1st round. It wasn't my opinion, every analyst at the time couldn't stop raving about how he played his way into the 1st round. Now, I'm not saying the same thing will happen with JJ. JJ could go play at a school that doesn't make the tourney and score 30 points per game and be a lotto pick. Or he could play about where his current ranking is and be a multi year player. I love his game, but let's not pretend that he's a surefire lotto pick that can play anywhere and stay a lotto pick no matter what.

Richardson is another player JB got drafted higher than his worth. He’s done it throughout his career. JB gets them drafted and then the player has to prove they belong. There’s no short cuts to staying in the league. It’s not like JB is constantly bringing in top 20 rated players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom