Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be late to the dance on this, but getting the strong sense that we are out on JJ ! Just my feeling, but can’t shake it.
I’m not saying the staff wouldn’t love to get this young man, but more and more I am less concerned about him, and are chances.
Wish him well wherever he lands !
We will be fine !!!!!
Go Orange

They've had 3 guys picked in the last 3 years including a lotto pick this year. We've had 1 2nd rd pick in the last 4 drafts and our last lotto pick was MCW 8 years ago. They're on pretty equal footing as us in that aspect unless we're going to start arguing about things when he was 6 years old.
Shhh. No facts allowed

My niece recently accepted an offer to play volleyball for Stanford. That education will set her up exceptionally well. However, she's likely not playing volleyball post college and will be there for four years and then will seek a job. For a one year and done elite basketball talent who is NBA bound, I'm not so sure the academics really matter. Also, who cares about the weather? It's just one year.

My niece recently accepted an offer to play volleyball for Stanford. That education will set her up exceptionally well. However, she's likely not playing volleyball post college and will be there for four years and then will seek a job. For a one year and done elite basketball talent who is NBA bound, I'm not so sure the academics really matter. Also, who cares about the weather? It's just one year.

He can go back later, for FREE, and finish up his degree.

From Stanford.

Also - he’s one injury away from academics being Plan B, to being his only plan.

If he’s interested in the highest quality education he can get - and he appears to be - then why not pursue that?

That education - whenever he completes it - will set him up exceptionally well.

I believe if he goes to Stanford (or any D1 school) and declares early for the draft most colleges will honor the 4 year scholarship and let you get your degree later

WHYDFML
You had to go so far back that these players weren’t alive when you started.
Almost as if total body of work by one coach might mean something. “He wasn’t alive” is an arbitrary metric and isn’t relevant.

Yeah we get it, you wish you went to Stanford.

No matter how hard you stan for them in this thread they aren’t going to sleep with you.

But go off…

To some level I’m reading these arguments and wondering is the kid a genius who can get admitted to one of the most selective universities in the US and cares only about a Stanford education or is he actually swayed by people who say JB can’t “get him drafted.”

The two things are absolutely mutually exclusive. They both cannot be true.

I'd be stunned if hes in the NBA after a year in college regardless of where he goes. Could happen but a lot better chance he's in college 3 years then 1.

I believe if he goes to Stanford (or any D1 school) and declares early for the draft most colleges will honor the 4 year scholarship and let you get your degree later
I think this is great colleges allow this, I would love to know the stats on how many people who leave college early wind up getting their degree later.

Almost as if total body of work by one coach might mean something. “He wasn’t alive” is an arbitrary metric and isn’t relevant.

Yeah we get it, you wish you went to Stanford.

No matter how hard you stan for them in this thread they aren’t going to sleep with you.

But go off…
Arbitrary: 20 years is arbitrary and irrelevant. Stanford has a better record of NBA success while the current recruits have been in HS. That’s relevant. They don’t care about Douglas, Coleman, Owens, etc. They want to know what the coach will do to get them to the next level. JJ grew up here, and he’s not convinced JB can get him to the pros.
Keep the Orange tinted glasses on and ignore the real world: the best players want to go where they know they will run a pro offense and defense.

Always a positive take:)
I feel the need to call out bad logic. If you have to go back 20 years to try to convince a high schooler your relevant, you’ve got problems.
You know, back in the day the Dome would really be rocking. We had great players and the Big East was really something. You should play here because of what we did before you even knew what basketball was.”
Weak.
Sell them on what is, not what was.

I feel the need to call out bad logic. If you have to go back 20 years to try to convince a high schooler your relevant, you’ve got problems.
You know, back in the day the Dome would really be rocking. We had great players and the Big East was really something. You should play here because of what we did before you even knew what basketball was.”
Weak.
Sell them on what is, not what was.

dont have to go back 20 years. From 2012-2017 we had 6 straight seasons of a 1st round pick and 11 total.

He can go back later, for FREE, and finish up his degree.

From Stanford.

Also - he’s one injury away from academics being Plan B, to being his only plan.

If he’s interested in the highest quality education he can get - and he appears to be - then why not pursue that?

That education - whenever he completes it - will set him up exceptionally well.
I dunno. A Stanford degree sounds good in a lot of industries. But, if he wants to go into Sports Management or Communications, don't we kinda have an edge? Or Law, if he only wants to be the POTUS.

I didn’t think this needed an explanation. It’s Stanford. The alumni. The tech. The valley. And now you’re saying JJ is a marginal basketball player and he shouldn’t expect a deal? It’s one of the most prestigious and wealthiest schools in America and I guarantee JJ would make more NIL money there than coming to syracuse. How much NIL money is buddy making ? People think this hometown thing is a cash cow.. News flash, people in Syracuse aren’t throwing any money at these kids now are they ? Cmon you can’t compare Syracuse to stanford at all

Stanford alums don't care about paying athletes NIL money. Several of them are my colleagues. They're busy trying to outdo each other with their next business venture, not getting JJ Starling into a Cardinal uniform.

Arbitrary: 20 years is arbitrary and irrelevant. Stanford has a better record of NBA success while the current recruits have been in HS. That’s relevant. They don’t care about Douglas, Coleman, Owens, etc. They want to know what the coach will do to get them to the next level. JJ grew up here, and he’s not convinced JB can get him to the pros.
Keep the Orange tinted glasses on and ignore the real world: the best players want to go where they know they will run a pro offense and defense.

When did anyone say (especially JJ) indicate that he didn't believe JB could get him to the pros? Seems like a strawman argument to me.

How many local kids do we end up getting. Not many. The kids from Rochester all seem to leave, The locals with the exception of a few have left. Many kids from our part of the country seem to want to get away which is believe to be true in many areas. JJ will do at any school he goes to. I think that he would kill it for cuse and that we are his best bet but Stanford is hard to turn down. Wish him luck. We got our PG and SG and i believe we are set in that department. Lets land a big and call it a day.

Here is a fact: in the last 20 years Jim Boeheim had 22 players drafted.
Hopefully someone reminds JJ and his parents of this fact. The people in his orbit who are implying that SU won’t prepare JJ for the NBA are idiots.

How many top 25-Ish players play 3 years?
Top 25 is different then top 40. More of the kids in the class of 2020 that were ranked in the 30s and 40s transferred then got drafted.

Stanford alums don't care about paying athletes NIL money. Several of them are my colleagues. They're busy trying to outdo each other with their next business venture, not getting JJ Starling into a Cardinal uniform.
I agree with this. I lived in central CA when Christian McCaffrey was at Stanford and he was barely on the radar of anyone in the area. There is no shot that a random basketball recruit is going to move the needle. Sure it only takes one guy that loves the basketball team but it's pretty unlikely NIL is going to matter much in this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom