Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really question how much college basketball these kids watch.

Back in the olden days when I was heavily following recruiting and knew people on the staff I asked this same question and I was told that the majority of the top kids watch waaaaaaay more NBA than college hoops. Some kids of course are hoops junkies and watch it all but the focus is usually on the NBA because that is the dream, and that is where the true money is.

Yeah, I believe he is eyeing an announcement sometime in October. It felt good that he didn't commit on his Duke visit, although I probably just jinxed everything. Sorry. Call me crazy, and I have no inside intel, but I feel like SU has a good shot here. Yeah, Duke has been on a recruiting roll, but they also just nabbed a five-star guard in 2023, so unless J.J. is thinking he's a one-and-done, maybe that's something that could influence his decision. Plus, I just get the sense that SU is prioritizing Starling, whereas Duke would certainly take him, but are the Blue Devils making him THE PRIORITY with so many other top-flight commitments and targets out there already?

NIL may be playing a big factor in this decision.

That would favor the hometown team over the other programs in play.
If it’s money, he should go to one of the pay leagues available to him

Yeah, I believe he is eyeing an announcement sometime in October. It felt good that he didn't commit on his Duke visit, although I probably just jinxed everything. Sorry. Call me crazy, and I have no inside intel, but I feel like SU has a good shot here. Yeah, Duke has been on a recruiting roll, but they also just nabbed a five-star guard in 2023, so unless J.J. is thinking he's a one-and-done, maybe that's something that could influence his decision. Plus, I just get the sense that SU is prioritizing Starling, whereas Duke would certainly take him, but are the Blue Devils making him THE PRIORITY with so many other top-flight commitments and targets out there already?
Idk...Duke wants him so I'm sure they rolled the red carpet out. We're playing ourselves if we think they aren't prioritizing him. Now the difference in sales pitches idk? These kids and their parents have a good handle on the roster makeup and possible playing time scenarios etc...this is where we can sell JJ on being the #1 guy to cap off our 22 class...the big man on campus and all that good stuff...not sure Duke can pitch that. I still think it might be Duke in the end but I think we have a legitimate shot at keeping him home. Would love if our insiders have any new insight on how things are looking?

I think we have to allow for the possibility--within this new NIL world--that there might actually be some players to whom a college degree is a major ambition. Up to now, the allure of NBA money vs poverty in the NCAA made it a simple choice for many: NBA now, college maybe later.

But now, NIL opens up the option of going ahead and getting your college degree in 3-3 1/2 yrs while you're bringing in some serious coin, enjoying the time of your life being in college before taking on the NBA grind.

I gotta wonder if Melo might not have stayed for another couple of yrs at Syracuse if he could have returned 1 or 2 more yrs as a sensational college basketball celebrity, making less $ than an NBA contract, but still pulling down several hundred thousand $$ per yr while in college.

Of course, I'm not sure Melo was ever that interested in a college degree, but he really did enjoy his world at Syracuse for that year, so...

I only mention this because I read reports earlier that the academic programs at the colleges JJ was considering were important to him, and I can't imagine why it would have been so unless he really would like to get a college degree.

IF SO, then maybe, just maybe, he'd be one of those who'd consider these new possibilities, the new packages of opportunities that are becoming available.

Sure, it seems simple: if Maximizing Earnings trumps all other considerations, then the college option is tossed aside.

BUT if you are already enjoying considerable wealth while you're in college and you really want to get that degree (and you're really enjoying the whole college scene) then clearly the opportunity cost of staying in college is now a lot less stark than it used to be...for some...

I think we have to allow for the possibility--within this new NIL world--that there might actually be some players to whom a college degree is a major ambition. Up to now, the allure of NBA money vs poverty in the NCAA made it a simple choice for many: NBA now, college maybe later.

But now, NIL opens up the option of going ahead and getting your college degree in 3-3 1/2 yrs while you're bringing in some serious coin, enjoying the time of your life being in college before taking on the NBA grind.

I gotta wonder if Melo might not have stayed for another couple of yrs at Syracuse if he could have returned 1 or 2 more yrs as a sensational college basketball celebrity, making less $ than an NBA contract, but still pulling down several hundred thousand $$ per yr while in college.

Of course, I'm not sure Melo was ever that interested in a college degree, but he really did enjoy his world at Syracuse for that year, so...

I only mention this because I read reports earlier that the academic programs at the colleges JJ was considering were important to him, and I can't imagine why it would have been so unless he really would like to get a college degree.

IF SO, then maybe, just maybe, he'd be one of those who'd consider these new possibilities, the new packages of opportunities that are becoming available.

Sure, it seems simple: if Maximizing Earnings trumps all other considerations, then the college option is tossed aside.

BUT if you are already enjoying considerable wealth while you're in college and you really want to get that degree (and you're really enjoying the whole college scene) then clearly the opportunity cost of staying in college is now a lot less stark than it used to be...for some...
Melo wanted to stay. He was kicked out by JB. However, for good, but not insta-great players, the point is a good one.

If it’s money, he should go to one of the pay leagues available to him

Because the income potential is far greater with NIL than it would be in one of the pay leagues available to him.

Because the income potential is far greater with NIL than it would be in one of the pay leagues available to him.
I am looking for the evidence that NIL will provide that type of opportunity for any more than 1 or 2 percent of athletes and that includes those who have or know how to create the necessary virtual fandom to drive that level of income

I don’t believe that. He can also get NIL in the leagues, plus a base salary worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more, plus worker’s comp, disability, life insurance, etc.

I don’t believe that. He can also get NIL in the leagues, plus a base salary worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more, plus worker’s comp, disability, life insurance, etc.

It’s not NIL if your in the “leagues”.

He actually has to be offered that salary by the G league or OE and we are talking about a guy ranked in the 30’s, not top 10. He can’t just declare he wants to play there. And even if he did the average g league salary if you are not a top prospect is 35k. I’m sure the family has done their due diligence here.

He actually has to be offered that salary by the G league or OE and we are talking about a guy ranked in the 30’s, not top 10. He can’t just declare he wants to play there. And even if he did the average g league salary if you are not a top prospect is 35k. I’m sure the family has done their due diligence here.

I think you need to chalk this one up to, "you can lead a horse to water..."

If he doesn't go to college, he can ink any endorsement deal that's available - here or in Europe. But nothing like that has surfaced. There's no indication that he's been offered any endorsements, Euro-league deals or a G-League roster spot, let alone a Professional Pathways Program option (given to "elite" G-League athletes). The PPP is where the money is ... for a few top players.

You're also right about the G-League base rate ($35k). Affiliate players can make $50k. Select guys can make $125k, and then there are two-ways who make a lot more if they're signed by an NBA team.

Last edited:
If he doesn't go to college, he can ink any endorsement deal that's available - here or in Europe. But nothing like that has surfaced. There's no indication that he's been offered any endorsements, Euro-league deals or a G-League roster spot, let alone a Professional Pathways Program option (given to "elite" G-League athletes). The PPP is where the money is ... for a few top players.

Yeah. I know how this works. When he becomes good in college he will get opportunities. Just like Buddy has. Being a local product will sell. I live in his hometown. Where he will go is a huge topic here.

Melo wanted to stay. He was kicked out by JB. However, for good, but not insta-great players, the point is a good one.
I believe JB and Melo when I hear them tell that story about JB kicking him out, but I’d be willing to bet there was no way Carmelo was coming back and JB knew it.Great story, but truly hard to believe anyone in Melo’s shoes comes back and turns down millions.

If JJ puts some space between his Duke visit and his announcement I feel that works in our favor. Definitely don't want to see a quick announcement this week. SU situation has a lot of pluses for him. If he takes some time to deliberate better odds he comes to that decision.

I believe JB and Melo when I hear them tell that story about JB kicking him out, but I’d be willing to bet there was no way Carmelo was coming back and JB knew it.Great story, but truly hard to believe anyone in Melo’s shoes comes back and turns down millions.

And yet - Florida had their stars return from a Natty, and then won another one.

So, while it's very uncommon, it's not like it never happens.

This issue really is perplexing. It's a head scratcher to me why a kid wouldn't jump on the opportunity to be part of a solid team led by a hall of fame coach and be the focal point versus going to a school where he may have limited playing time and certainly not the first option. He has very little to risk with the first option but the second, who knows, could land him on the bench more than the court.

These are kids/young men we're talking about so is it ego? Is it validation that they've arrived and are one of the best in the country if they go to a blue blood? Is it the cash? Have they bought into the notion that going to a Duke or Kentucky sets them up for the NBA (which is bunk - it's their talent that sets them up). I really don't know.

I do think that getting an offer from Duke or Kentucky is as impressive as you can get. If you get an offer from Duke, that means you can essentially go to any school of your choosing (for the most part). If my son were at that level, I can see wanting to get an offer from one of these schools; however, I'm not so sure that's where he would go, particularly if that school is coached by some guy named Scheyer and playing time is very much unknown.
I dont disagree but at the same time maybe they look and say im gonna go to duke and be better then all these guys. Its still earned, theres no guarantees at syracuse or duke.

Alright finally heard back - guessing the delay from the coaches was the Peter news. Really nothing new or "feeling" as of today on the JJ battle. Least our assistant coach thinks it's between us and Duke, it's good news that he hasn't committed fast to Duke after his visit but the coaches think Duke is the leader. He also confirmed the family has kept everything really close, want guaranteed PT (Luckily, JB did say to the family that the keys will be available for him) and they see him being more of a 2 year plan for the NBA.

My recollection is the background context there was Melo's mother -- who had worked a second job at a university [UMBC?] as a janitor to enable Carmelo to have a college option for free, since she was a university employee. This ended up being unnecessary, because of basketball, but that was her motivation.

So, it was pretty obvious that Melo was going to be highly drafted, but he'd promised his mother he'd go to school -- that was the tension. I've heard she was actually disappointed that he opted to go pro [I'm sure she got over that quickly!].

Status
Not open for further replies.