Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pace was great when we were able to run. We struggled when we had to play half court. We lacked shooters.
Everyone did back then. You usually had your designated sniper, a la Matt Roe, but usually not more than that. Nowadays in the Steph Curry era, it's almost a given that EVERY position on the floor can hit a 3-pointer.

I’d say a decent comp is Andre Iguodala. Obv not quite that level of athlete.

Here we go again, thinking a high school player is better than an established college player. How many times has this board said that only to be disappointed. I don't care where you play in high school, the jump to P5 college basketball is huge unless you are somebody like Zion, Banchero, Anthony Davis or a Top 5 recruit. For everybody else, all you can hope for is contributing positive minutes.
You act like guys can't be good out of high school lmao

I think fans are burnt about what happened with Benny this season.
We have struck out for a long time now, that’s why I agree. We don’t get recruits ready to play day 1 anymore. Hopefully that changes, but it’s hard to believe when lately that has not been the case.

Duke just plugs freshmen in every year. They will again next year. We have fourth year players getting schooled by freshmen. Bottom line is talent wins. Experience is overrated.
I don't think it is as simple as that. Experience definitely matters. But, when you have low ceiling talent, then that experience can only carry you so far. If you can recruit three or four of the top ten players every year, then you have a good chance to compete. Those players are instantly "ready". Otherwise, you want to get the most talented players as possible and keep them as long as possible. If you can get a roster full of top 100 players and the great majority stay for four years, then you have a great chance to compete.

I don't think it is as simple as that. Experience definitely matters. But, when you have low ceiling talent, then that experience can only carry you so far. If you can recruit three or four of the top ten players every year, then you have a good chance to compete. Those players are instantly "ready". Otherwise, you want to get the most talented players as possible and keep them as long as possible. If you can get a roster full of top 100 players and the great majority stay for four years, then you have a great chance to compete.
You just made my point. Talent can come right in and play while lower level talent has to stick around for four years and they still don’t beat the better talent.

You just made my point. Talent can come right in and play while lower level talent has to stick around for four years and they still don’t beat the better talent.
Well, that is very black and white. Top ten guys can come in and be stars. Others can come in and contribute at varying levels and increase their productivity throughout their stay. It is really difficult to tell which players are going to be able to contribute right away. This is a message board, so we speculate and give our opinions. But, we have no clue. Maliq Brown might be the most ready to contribute. From the videos I've watched, I would suspect he isn't, but who the heck knows? I like this class. I will like it even more if we get Judah Mintz. The reason, this group is athletic and they have various skills. Every position is covered and each player brings size to his position. Nobody knows how each player will perform from day one. Part of the fun is watching it happen.

Well, that is very black and white. Top ten guys can come in and be stars. Others can come in and contribute at varying levels and increase their productivity throughout their stay. It is really difficult to tell which players are going to be able to contribute right away. This is a message board, so we speculate and give our opinions. But, we have no clue. Maliq Brown might be the most ready to contribute. From the videos I've watched, I would suspect he isn't, but who the heck knows? I like this class. I will like it even more if we get Judah Mintz. The reason, this group is athletic and they have various skills. Every position is covered and each player brings size to his position. Nobody knows how each player will perform from day one. Part of the fun is watching it happen.
What's fun is when you know your returning players have it covered and the new guys have a chance to help around the edges. It's no fun when you need guys too come in with no pedigree and win games for you.

If we have Edwards, Anselem, Swider, Torrence, Girard and Williams coming back next year, I'll feel confident we can compete.

The loss of Edwards was painful this year in a few ways, but most important for me was that he and Girard were becoming a very good pick and roll combination.

If we have that and Swider returning, I'll feel confident we can compete most nights and the new guys can bring upside.

I'd include Williams in the upside group. I think he's a much better basketball player than we've seen so far.

I think a starting lineup of

G Girard
G Mintz
F Williams
F Swider
C Edwards

With reserves

C/F Anselem
G Torrence
Freshman

Brown fits best of our freshman into that lineup, to give a little size and energy when the centers get into foul trouble or Williams struggles.

Can be a good team if Williams comes around. Swider could really excel given the primary shooter role.

But that pick and roll... Man what a loss when it was just coming along.

What's fun is when you know your returning players have it covered and the new guys have a chance to help around the edges. It's no fun when you need guys too come in with no pedigree and win games for you.

If we have Edwards, Anselem, Swider, Torrence, Girard and Williams coming back next year, I'll feel confident we can compete.

The loss of Edwards was painful this year in a few ways, but most important for me was that he and Girard were becoming a very good pick and roll combination.

If we have that and Swider returning, I'll feel confident we can compete most nights and the new guys can bring upside.

I'd include Williams in the upside group. I think he's a much better basketball player than we've seen so far.

G Girard
G Mintz
F Williams
F Swider
C Edwards

With reserves

C/F Anselem
G Torrence
Freshman

Brown fits best of our freshman into that lineup, to give a little size and energy when the centers get into foul trouble or Williams struggles.

Can be a good team if Williams comes around. Swider could really excel given the primary shooter role.

I will go with the flow of you are projecting will return.

Big assumption that if we got Mintz that he would beat out both Torrence and Cope. Also, big assumption that Benny makes that jump.

Also, you are assuming that we do not bring in a starting caliber F or G from the portal. We may be a very attractive destination for transfers if we have two open slots in the starting 5 and only Benny and frosh to beat out. There would be particularly great opportunity for a swing player who could compete for both the opening F slot and the opening G slot.

I will go with the flow of you are projecting will return.

Big assumption that if we got Mintz that he would beat out both Torrence and Cope. Also, big assumption that Benny makes that jump.

Also, you are assuming that we do not bring in a starting caliber F or G from the portal. We may be a very attractive destination for transfers if we have two open slots in the starting 5 and only Benny and frosh to beat out. There would be particularly great opportunity for a swing player who could compete for both the opening F slot and the opening G slot.

True on the transfer front... I was just gaming Mintz into what we already have.

Obviously a transfer becomes even more important if Swider leaves, but it would be nice to get a guy who plugs in instead of hoping WilliamsTurns it around or relying on freshman to make big contributions right off the bat.

But, we have options and slots available to fill, so I'm optimistic.

(As usual)

G Girard
G Mintz
F Williams
F Swider
C Edwards

With reserves

C/F Anselem
G Torrence
Freshman

I believe JB has said 3 freshman will start

And Mali.
And Rico.
And Tyus.
And…

There’s a LONG list of dudes who got a ton of run as Frosh.

Because they were good enough to earn it.
(Or because JB didn’t have anybody else)
But what were they ranked?

You act like guys can't be good out of high school lmao
People are anointing Mintz as elite, just as they did Benny and Benny is lost out there. We anointed Brissett, Guerrier and Carey as elite and possible one and dones. Guerrier and Brissett were solid contributors their freshman years, all you can ask for and expect. Carey can't get off the bench at a midmajor. If Mintz signs, all we can hope for is to be like Q and Brissett. To expect him to be Pearl Washington or Ennis his freshman year is unrealistic. All the poster said was that he'd like to see the established Mika Adams-Woods transfer in from Cincy to run the point and I agreed with him rather than giving the job to an unproven freshman like Mintz who only has a high school reputation at this point.

Last edited:
People are anointing Mintz as elite, just as they did Benny and Benny is lost out there. We anointed Brissett, Guerrier and Carey as elite and possible one and dones. Guerrier and Brissett were solid contributors their freshman years, all you can ask for and expect. Carey can't get off the bench at a midmajor. If Mintz signs, all we can hope for is to be like Q and Brissett. To expect him to be Pearl Washington or Ennis his freshman year is unrealistic. All the poster said was that he'd like to see the established Mika Adams-Woods transfer in from Cincy to run the point and I agreed with him rather than giving the job to an unproven freshman like Mintz who only has a high school reputation at this point.
Your points are well taken. But I would rather try for a freshman like mintz who may have a chance to be a star versus an established veteran transfer with a somewhat visible ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom