Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard it's pretty much confirmed he's going to DePaul
Well, that's just pissing in my morning coffee on this fine Saturday. Frustrating we can't seem to land (and hold onto) a top tier talent (esp at PG). I hope things change with what you've heard because next year's team actually could be pretty good with him at point, Symir backing him up, Joe at his natural position, Benny hopefully taking a leap forward, Cole returning, and Jesse controlling the middle.

Well, that's just pissing in my morning coffee on this fine Saturday. Frustrating we can't seem to land (and hold onto) a top tier talent (esp at PG). I hope things change with what you've heard because next year's team actually could be pretty good with him at point, Symir backing him up, Joe at his natural position, Benny hopefully taking a leap forward, Cole returning, and Jesse controlling the middle.
I’ll be interested to hear what his NIL deal is there, I will say that a backcourt of Cruz and Mintz would be pretty formidable, but the rest of their team is so devoid talent they’ll need to hit the portal hard for a magic year

I like what could be a back court of Joe and Mintz, that would be formidable too. Also, he would have the luxury of dishing it off to our big man in the middle and Cole/Joe (hopefully) from the outside. I think we offer a very solid option for him. Smells like money might be involved here, which is hard to compete against.

I’m still pissed we lost Starling, a Syracuse native whose parents wanted to watch him play in front of the hometown crowd, to freakin Notre Dame. That’s just galling. I really hope Judah chooses Cuse. But I worry that JB just can’t get it done anymore on the recruiting trail and isn’t adjusting to new realities, including NIL and other promises and considerations. There’s no reason for us to be so far behind the 8-ball with this stuff.

Last edited:
I’m still pissed we lost Starling, a Syracuse native whose parents probably wanted to watch him play in front of the hometown crowd, to freakin Notre Dame. That’s just galling. I really hope Judah chooses Cuse. But I worry that JB just can’t get it done anymore on the recruiting trail and isn’t adjusting to new realities, including NIL and other promises and considerations. There’s no reason for us to be so far behind the 8-ball with this stuff.
Zone

I’m still pissed we lost Starling, a Syracuse native whose parents probably wanted to watch him play in front of the hometown crowd, to freakin Notre Dame. That’s just galling. I really hope Judah chooses Cuse. But I worry that JB just can’t get it done anymore on the recruiting trail and isn’t adjusting to new realities, including NIL and other promises and considerations. There’s no reason for us to be so far behind the 8-ball with this stuff.

Yep -- highly disconcerting, and a symptom of the program slippage at the macro level.

An old coach, and a defensive system that isn't favorable for young people to play.
Until we change coaches we will continue to be average, just like the last 8 years.

I’m still pissed we lost Starling, a Syracuse native whose parents wanted to watch him play in front of the hometown crowd, to freakin Notre Dame. That’s just galling. I really hope Judah chooses Cuse. But I worry that JB just can’t get it done anymore on the recruiting trail and isn’t adjusting to new realities, including NIL and other promises and considerations. There’s no reason for us to be so far behind the 8-ball with this stuff.
I agree, though I feel like I remember people hear saying even years ago that it was known Starling didn’t really want to stay home.

An old coach, and a defensive system that isn't favorable for young people to play.
Until we change coaches we will continue to be average, just like the last 8 years.
And if Red or Gmac or Hop replaces JB we're going to continue to run the same system.

Yep -- highly disconcerting, and a symptom of the program slippage at the macro level.
If this was 15-20 years ago, I could see JB making real adjustments to try to regain the program’s footing, and the old JB probably would have already made them several years ago. First, you step up your NIL game and recruiting pitch big-time and start softening your stance on considerations and promises that need to be made to secure the top recruits. Second, regularly mix up your defenses, playing both zone and man-to-man and even pressing at times. Third, hire a ringer assistant coach (a la Troy Weaver) with deep AAU ties to help step up your recruiting game. Fourth, use the portal to its full advantage to improve your roster and use advanced analytics to help you find players. Fifth, try to be a more player friendly coach. Stop exploding at guys on the sideline like an unhinged maniac or at least stop snarkily calling them out in press conferences. It’s a terrible look in this day and age and is used against us. Lol, this last one is a near impossibility considering JB’s hardened, old-school personality.

The narrative around the program and especially recruiting must change, and this would be some of the ways to do it. But it’s too late in the day for JB to be able make the necessary changes at 77 years old, with only a few years left of coaching.

Last edited:
I agree, though I feel like I remember people hear saying even years ago that it was known Starling didn’t really want to stay home.
Why would you? Would any of us be in syracuse as 18-22 year olds if we did it over? I love the school but the city is a freaking dump

If this was 15-20 years ago, I could see JB making real adjustments to try to regain the program’s footing, and the old JB probably would have already made them several years ago. First, you step up your NIL game and recruiting pitch big-time and start softening your stance on considerations and promises that need to be made to secure the top recruits. Second, regularly mix up your defenses, playing both zone and man-to-man and even pressing at times. Third, hire a ringer assistant coach (a la Troy Weaver) with deep AAU ties to help step up your recruiting game. Fourth, use the portal to its full advantage to improve your roster and use advanced analytics to help you find players. Fifth, try to be a more player friendly coach. Stop exploding at guys on the sideline like an unhinged maniac or at least stop snarkily calling them out in press conferences. It’s a terrible look in this day and age and is used against us. Lol, this last one is a near impossibility considering JB’s hardened, old-school personality.

The narrative around the program and especially recruiting must change, and this would be some of the ways to do it. But it’s so late in the day for JB to be able make the necessary changes at 77 years old, with only a few years left of coaching.
NIL money needs to come from someone… if people do not want to invest in the players of the program there is nothing JB can do on that front

Why would you? Would any of us be in syracuse as 18-22 year olds if we did it over? I love the school but the city is a freaking dump
paulie-sopranos.gif

I think I probably would have gone to Syracuse in retrospect but I probably would have spent my time there differently knowing what I know now.

Status
Not open for further replies.