Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 102 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth. In fact, there was a famous rabbi hundreds of years ago with the same name.

And for anyone wondering why I asked the question in the first place…I’m Jewish and I want to know if he would be part of the all-Jewish team with Hal Cohen and Danny Schayes or the “honorary” all-Jewish team with Vinnie Cohen, Malachi Richardson, and Elijah Hughes.
This reminds me of a Jim Valvano story.

Back a million and a half years ago when he was coach at Iona and had Jeff Ruland at center, he brought his team into Manley to play the Louie and Bouie team.
It was a big sports story because of the match up between two of America's top college centers.

The game was tight and then Boeheim brought Danny Schayes and Hal Cohen in.
They hit some jumpers and the Orange pulled away..eventually winning by 13.

After the game, Valvano is in a hallway talking with reporters.
He said, "You know something, I never expected to come up here with my nice Catholic school and get beaten like that by a couple of Jewish kids coming off the bench."

Then he looked over at Louis Orr who was nearby slouching against a wall.

Valvano: "Don't tell me you're Jewish, too."

Back a million and a half years ago when he was coach at Iona and had Jeff Ruland at center, he brought his team into Manley to play the Louie and Bouie team.
It was a big sports story because of the match up between two of America's top college centers.

He said, "You know something, I never expected to come up here with my nice Catholic school and get beaten like that by a couple of Jewish kids coming off the bench."

A true classic. Would be vilified today

College basketball coaches are funnier than half the stand up comics going

For those that want to watch more of Judah, here's a full game against Montverde. It ends up getting pretty ugly (they ultimately lose by 35), so you probably don't need to stick it out for the whole thing lol. Some promising stuff from Judah early on though.

Some notes from this game that you wouldn't necessarily get from his highlights:
  • Just way more locked in than anyone else in our class; constantly darting his eyes back and forth between ball and man to make sure he's in good position. I wouldn't say he's a lockdown defender 1 on 1, but he's at least aware of what's going on and where he should be, which is more than you can say about a lot of high schoolers.
  • Can see him trying to pump up his teammates and communicate even in the early minutes.
  • Was matched up on both ends of the floor (when not in zone) against Dariq Whitehead, top 5 recruit in the country headed to Duke.
  • Mintz isn't the lead ball-handler but they get the ball in his hands a good amount and creates out of pick and rolls a lot.
  • The thing that could potentially hold him back early on for us IMO is that he's still growing into his body and it shows at times. He can get knocked around a bit by the defense, forced to take a wide angle around screens as a result, and can get wiped out by screens on the defensive end.
Also a general note...the level of talent at Montverde is just insane. I mean, Oak Hill is one of the best teams in the country and including Mintz, they have four top 100 recruits over the next two classes. Montverde has six top 30 recruits, and I suspect that number will increase because they currently only have one top 30 recruit in next year's class. It's just silly what they have going on there.

Montverde laid the smackdown on Oak Hill all three times that they played the year before and obviously did so again here (in the NIBC season opener). Oak Hill ended up hanging with them later in the season, where they lost by 5 in the City of Palms Tournament championship game.

Last edited:

Yep - I was there. Sports Illustrated, in their season preview, had Iona rated higher than Syracuse. Constantly throughout the game, chants of "SI SUCKS!!! SI SUCKS!!!" echoed off the Manley roof. Fun, fun game.

IIRC, Dale Shackleford had 30 (or close to it), and Rosie had a double-double (20-10?). Will look it up later.

Yep - I was there. Sports Illustrated, in their season preview, had Iona rated higher than Syracuse. Constantly throughout the game, chants of "SI SUCKS!!! SI SUCKS!!!" echoed off the Manley roof. Fun, fun game.

IIRC, Dale Shackleford had 30 (or close to it), and Rosie had a double-double (20-10?). Will look it up later.

SI was so important back in those days. No cable, games were rarely televised. You got a lot of your college hoops news from them. I remember they had an article on the best freshmen in the country around then and left Shack off their list. He had better stats than most of the players they listed so I wrote a letter to them complaining. It was ignored of course. Only time I ever did that.

I was there for that game too, in the student section. First big game for me as a student. The crowd was very loud and passionate. Good times.

Update: I was close. Dale did have 30 on 12-13 shooting, to go along with his 9 rebs. Rosie had 18-10, with 8(!!) blocks. Here's a look at the season stats - h/t to the AWESOME orangehoops.org site.

1648904992739.png

I was there too, in the student section. First big game for me as a student. The crowd was very loud and passionate. Good times.
I read these posts from you and others, and wonder how close we actually were. Couldn't have been too far, given how small Manley is/was.

Hi Neighbor! :)

For those that want to watch more of Judah, here's a full game against Montverde. It ends up getting pretty ugly (they ultimately lose by 35), so you probably don't need to stick it out for the whole thing lol. Some promising stuff from Judah early on though.

Some notes from this game that you wouldn't necessarily get from his highlights:
  • Just way more locked in than anyone else in our class; constantly darting his eyes back and forth between ball and man to make sure he's in good position. I wouldn't say he's a lockdown defender 1 on 1, but he's at least aware of what's going on and where he should be, which is more than you can say about a lot of high schoolers.
  • Can see him trying to pump up his teammates and communicate even in the early minutes.
  • Was matched up on both ends of the floor (when not in zone) against Dariq Whitehead, top 5 recruit in the country headed to Duke.
  • Mintz isn't the lead ball-handler but they get the ball in his hands a good amount and creates out of pick and rolls a lot.
  • The thing that could potentially hold him back early on for us IMO is that he's still growing into his body and it shows at times. He can get knocked around a bit by the defense, forced to take a wide angle around screens as a result, and can get wiped out by screens on the defensive end.
Also a general note...the level of talent at Montverde is just insane. I mean, Oak Hill is one of the best teams in the country and including Mintz, they have four top 100 recruits over the next two classes. Montverde has six top 30 recruits, and I suspect that number will increase because they currently only have one top 30 recruit in next year's class. It's just silly what they have going on there.

Montverde laid the smackdown on Oak Hill all three times that they played the year before and obviously did so again here (in the NIBC season opener). Oak Hill ended up hanging with them later in the season, where they lost by 5 in the City of Palms Tournament championship game.

Good find. To your points on where he is still growing, this is what makes Symir as the third guard so valuable. A steady PG who can run the show but has his own set of skills is huge for the team in general. Not to mention him playing with two seniors in the backcourt plus having a whole group of freshmen is a nice balance. All will help.

I remember the days of listening to DC and Billy on the radio and keeping track of points, rebounds, shots taken/made, etc. and thinking they are missing a lot. Young and knew little about basketball.

thx for this melancer!

Thank you for taking the time to compile these Melancer46 Good observations

I was there as well. Ruland picked up two fouls right off the bat
Wasn’t there in person but I remember the Ruland/Iona hype before that game. Watching fans stream back up to the Mount yelling and screaming that “we won”. Awesome times.

The level of of fan insecurity for some here can be astounding. Some of ya need to get your fan strut back.
View attachment 216236

You must be new here. ;)

Not sure if I should say this but I recall a Valvano quote that, when talking about Schayes, said something like "Who knew? A ___-boy that can shoot!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom