Class of 2019 - PG Mika Adams-Woods (NY) | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Mika Adams-Woods (NY)

Would be very surprised if MAW comes here. Him and Sy are good friends. He’d basically be replacing Sy…if Sy left because the minutes weren’t gonna be there why would MAW want to come for those limited minutes. Granted I think MAW is an overall a little bit better player, so maybe he’d get more minutes. We shall see.

Would be very surprised if MAW comes here. Him and Sy are good friends. He’d basically be replacing Sy…if Sy left because the minutes weren’t gonna be there why would MAW want to come for those limited minutes. Granted I think MAW is an overall a little bit better player, so maybe he’d get more minutes. We shall see.
I think MAW would replace Judah if he came here. Sy was the 3rd string PG at Marquette, MAW was a multi year starter at Cinci.

Big guard. Good defender. Low volume/high efficiency guy. Think senior Lazarus Sims.

I've been on the fence about Adams-Woods. Sometimes, I think the board gets too hung up on local players / names that posters recognize. But given the likelihood of Mintz staying in the draft, it makes sense to add a veteran guard.

Point guard is so fundamentally important to high major college basketball, that it would be a huge risk to go with what we already have. I know that people are dazzled by Westry's passing / vision, but it remains to be seen whether he can handle the lead guard position, how tight his handle is, etc. Maybe he can handle it from day 1, but it's a huge risk.

And while I love to gamble on talent, if we were even able to get in with a blue chip prospect like Ty-Laur, there's an element of risk there, as well, in terms of fit with JJ / Westry [who I think would best fit as the third guard in a three-guard lineup in his debut season].

So a player like Adams-Woods makes a lot of sense. Looks like he's a good shooter [37% from 3, 84% from the line, and 50% from the field overall] who takes care of the basketball [2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio].

Played at Nebraska in the big 10 and at a quality program in Cincinnati. The numbers aren't astounding, but I think he would be a plug-and-play option.

Haven't seen much of him in games -- would welcome an assessment of his capabilities.

I've been on the fence about Adams-Woods. Sometimes, I think the board gets too hung up on local players / names that posters recognize. But given the likelihood of Mintz staying in the draft, it makes sense to add a veteran guard.

Point guard is so fundamentally important to high major college basketball, that it would be a huge risk to go with what we already have. I know that people are dazzled by Westry's passing / vision, but it remains to be seen whether he can handle the lead guard position, how tight his handle is, etc. Maybe he can handle it from day 1, but it's a huge risk.

And while I love to gamble on talent, if we were even able to get in with a blue chip prospect like Ty-Laur, there's an element of risk there, as well, in terms of fit with JJ / Westry [who I think would best fit as the third guard in a three-guard lineup in his debut season].

So a player like Adams-Woods makes a lot of sense. Looks like he's a good shooter [37% from 3, 84% from the line, and 50% from the field overall] who takes care of the basketball [2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio].

Played at Nebraska in the big 10 and at a quality program in Cincinnati. The numbers aren't astounding, but I think he would be a plug-and-play option.

Haven't seen much of him in games -- would welcome an assessment of his capabilities.
I like Chance at the point JJ at the 2 and Copeland at the 3 and or point interchangeable with Chance.
FSU at the 5 and Benny 4
Bell Brown Taylor Hima Carey off the bench based on the situation.

I like Chance at the point JJ at the 2 and Copeland at the 3 and or point interchangeable with Chance.
FSU at the 5 and Benny 4
Bell Brown Taylor Hima Carey off the bench based on the situation.
I don't think we can count chickens with respect to fsu, at least not yet.

I don't think we can count chickens with respect to fsu, at least not yet.
That is too bad i was hoping we would land him.

I posted a little in the other thread yesterday but big thing is he has a nice shot, is a lefty, very good defender albeit can be over aggressive but honestly that's not the worst thing.

Isn't a guy who takes a ton of risks but will drive when there is a lane. Good passer too. He doesn't hunt his shot but is a good guy to get you set in your offense. I think he could do well in a faster tempo. Cincy was 112 in Ken pom tempo so not overly fast or slow which shows on tape.

Big thing is he made a big jump from Jr to Sr year. Cincy fans were pretty peeved, similar to us with Jesse, that he switched gears just now from staying.

As I said in the other thread similar to your comments on Ty Laur- adding experience to a really young backcourt is most definitely a good thing not to mention a kid who has value on both ends, has played against decent competition and would be a one year bridge to the 24 additions and beyond.

i thought the same thing who knows anymore im sure some sec school will offer more

I posted a little in the other thread yesterday but big thing is he has a nice shot, is a lefty, very good defender albeit can be over aggressive but honestly that's not the worst thing.

Isn't a guy who takes a ton of risks but will drive when there is a lane. Good passer too. He doesn't hunt his shot but is a good guy to get you set in your offense. I think he could do well in a faster tempo. Cincy was 112 in Ken pom tempo so not overly fast or slow which shows on tape.

Big thing is he made a big jump from Jr to Sr year. Cincy fans were pretty peeved, similar to us with Jesse, that he switched gears just now from staying.

As I said in the other thread similar to your comments on Ty Laur- adding experience to a really young backcourt is most definitely a good thing not to mention a kid who has value on both ends, has played against decent competition and would be a one year bridge to the 24 additions and beyond.

Thank you, OZ!

If Judah doesn’t return, there is plenty of opportunity and minutes available at the point guard position

If Judah doesn’t return, there is plenty of opportunity and minutes available at the point guard position
and he’d be sharing the backcourt with 2 sophomores, who also transferred in, and neither of them have played PG at this level. And the only backup PG, is also a sophomore who’s value might be more of a Jack of all trades as opposed to just focusing on being a PG.

MAW would have a ton of opportunity here, IMO.

and he’d be sharing the backcourt with 2 sophomores, who also transferred in, and neither of them have played PG at this level. And the only backup PG, is also a sophomore who’s value might be more of a Jack of all trades as opposed to just focusing on being a PG.

And as a one year take let's Red bridge to his top PG targets in the next class and targets still view SU as a clear path to start opportunity.

Agreed. That's why I said above that it would be a "risk" to roll with the two sophomores and cross your fingers. Would love to add a legit lead guard, who is an experienced starter and could let those two play off the ball, but with versatility.

Plus, it seems like MAW [going from Orangezoo's scouting report above] would be able to fit with those guys, instead of hunting shots. That doesn't imply that he isn't a capable scorer / shooter, just that he'd compliment what we have.

I am high on Copeland's potential, as well. I'm kind of hoping to see a three-guard lineup, with Westry in the starting lineup. That gives Copeland an opportunity to be the primary backup at multiple positions, and see an increased dose of PT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom