Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video of Copeland playing some event in Virginia from the Commonwealth Basketball Group prior to IMG. Taylor is defending him in a couple highlights, and Maliq Brown is in it at the end taking a pass from Copeland. Lots of flash.

Oh my.

Quadir is going to be a great challenge to coach. Maybe JB’s last great challenge.

How do you reign in his most wild moves but retain his creative brilliance?

Oh my.

Quadir is going to be a great challenge to coach. Maybe JB’s last great challenge.

So fun to watch! Some of those passes are magical. And between the legs?!?

Lets not forget JB lets the great ones play their game.
He never let a PG do that…..

Pearl, Sherm, Z, even Scoop all had to cull some of their flashiest to play college ball. If there are 5 awful turnovers to match 5 great plays, you really aren’t helping the team.

It will be interesting to see if JB allows more recklessness this time around with Q. This generation of players seems a lot less willing to listen to coaches.

One thing for sure. Q is going to be a crowd favorite.

Last edited:
He’s not that explosive and a tad slow. He has good vision. Do you ever see him go left?

He’s not that explosive and a tad slow. He has good vision. Do you ever see him go left?
Disagree. He pulled off a reverse dunk on a breakaway during this game. When he sees an opening, he takes it.

Definitely quick when he wants to be and definitely can jump out of the gym.

I have a few concerns about him but not on his athletic ability.

I'm always unsure how to feel watching clips from pre-college. He can beat his man off the dribble with ease. Can he do that when he gets to the college level?

Oh my.

yep, and how is he going to take to the coaching/reining in?

God awful defense in all those clips.

It's prep - you won't see what appears to be high level defense when you have a bunch of high major guys going to work. I didn't see anything bad just guys being better than their opponent.

I'm always unsure how to feel watching clips from pre-college. He can beat his man off the dribble with ease. Can he do that when he gets to the college level?

Look back at his AAU tapes, if you can find longer ones (or ideally whole games), because the level of competition in AAU is a higher level than most high school games. AAU is like basically playing against HS all-star teams, or like JUCO level competition.

Another thing to look at is how he uses his body to get past people. Does he expose the ball too much? Does he use his hips or shoulders to get past the defender? (Good fundamentals translate to a higher level, generally speaking.)

He may not look "super quick" in these last few clips that Donna Ditota posted, but you have to remember that even in college, most PGs are not 6-6. He's going to have a size advantage in almost every game he plays at Syracuse.

Reading that he posted up smaller guys and scored on them at will is a great sign. If people try to play man against us, he'll probably still be able to do that, at least from time to time.

If you think back to Michael Carter-Williams' time with us, in his first year he seemed too gangly, and not all that fast, either. But he had great vision (which Copeland shares), he got up to the speed of the college game in year two, and then he was off to the pros (and became Rookie of the Year).

Look back at his AAU tapes, if you can find longer ones (or ideally whole games), because the level of competition in AAU is a higher level than most high school games. AAU is like basically playing against HS all-star teams, or like JUCO level competition.

Another thing to look at is how he uses his body to get past people. Does he expose the ball too much? Does he use his hips or shoulders to get past the defender? (Good fundamentals translate to a higher level, generally speaking.)

He may not look "super quick" in these last few clips that Donna Ditota posted, but you have to remember that even in college, most PGs are not 6-6. He's going to have a size advantage in almost every game he plays at Syracuse.

Reading that he posted up smaller guys and scored on them at will is a great sign. If people try to play man against us, he'll probably still be able to do that, at least from time to time.

If you think back to Michael Carter-Williams' time with us, in his first year he seemed too gangly, and not all that fast, either. But he had great vision (which Copeland shares), he got up to the speed of the college game in year two, and then he was off to the pros (and became Rookie of the Year).
Watching the IMG top team and the point guard who is supposed to be great, isn't great at distributing, and Walker has a lot to work on. They are currently a bad team.

He never let a PG do that…..

Pearl, Sherm, Z, even Scoop all had to cull some of their flashiest to play college ball. If there are 5 awful turnovers to match 5 great plays, you really aren’t helping the team.

It will be interesting to see if JB allows more recklessness this time around with Q. This generation of players seems a lot less willing to listen to coaches.

One thing for sure. Q is going to be a crowd favorite.
Sure he coached them but go back and watch some highlights. Pearl Sherm Johnny they all basically had a green light. I agree that Q is going to give Jim hives but i think JB for the most part will let him use his gifts.
Look at Joe. Jim knows hes a great shot and usually lets him off the hook when he jacks up poor takes. Should be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom