Class of 2019 - PG Symir Torrence (NY/Vermont Academy) Transferring from Marquette | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Symir Torrence (NY/Vermont Academy) Transferring from Marquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like John Wildhack said in his interview, players do not want to sit and wait their turn. With the new transfer rule, players will not stay. Teams will not have experience coming off the bench. It’s going to be the new normal. It’s going to be hard to recruit top 100 kids and not play them. Most of them are not instant impact players and if the don’t instantly play a major role they will look elsewhere. Top ten talent impact teams. Unfortunately, SU isn’t getting top ten players. I don’t envy coaches. It’s going to be hard to know what you’re going to have from one year to the next. I doubt we have anyone on our current roster who will settle for only ten minutes a game playing time next year. I think you can figure out who might leave.
Under recruited Mid major players who become stars there will be using these mid major schools like prep schools to make it to big D1 schools. Players are leaving not just because of playing time but how much publicity and how much the offense is focused on them. It will be crazy especially with conferences eliminating any time penalty if a player wants to transfer within a conference.

Under recruited Mid major players who become stars there will be using these mid major schools like prep schools to make it to big D1 schools. Players are leaving not just because of playing time but how much publicity and how much the offense is focused on them. It will be crazy especially with conferences eliminating any time penalty if a player wants to transfer within a conference.
Agree. It might help us but I hate it. I also hated it when free agency went into effect in MLB too.

There is a cost in terms of fan engagement with constant player movement. The fans don’t have enough time to get attached to players, and the illusion the players love the team as much as the fans is gone forever.

It makes it clear college athletics is a business. That is bad for fan engagement and loyalty.

Yes, it is better for the athletes and their needs should be considered. But needs of the fans, who fund everything, are and should be the most important. I hope the talk that there can only be one immediate transfer per athlete is true. If players are allowed to switch teams without penalty multiple times, I fear it will destroy college sports, or at least drive the number of strong programs down dramatically.

I would be okay with immediate transfer for all if a program goes on probation or a coach leaves or is fired. Even for those who have already done immediate transfers.

Agree. It might help us but I hate it. I also hated it when free agency went into effect in MLB too.

There is a cost in terms of fan engagement with constant player movement. The fans don’t have enough time to get attached to players, and the illusion the players love the team as much as the fans is gone forever.

It makes it clear college athletics is a business. That is bad for fan engagement and loyalty.

Yes, it is better for the athletes and their needs should be considered. But needs of the fans, who fund everything, are and should be the most important. I hope the talk that there can only be one immediate transfer per athlete is true. If players are allowed to switch teams without penalty multiple times, I fear it will destroy college sports, or at least drive the number of strong programs down dramatically.

I would be okay with immediate transfer for all if a program goes on probation or a coach leaves or is fired. Even for those who have already done immediate transfers.
Have to be making progress toward a degree. Not all credits transfer, and there are maximum credits that transfer.

Symir reclassified to get to Marquette early at Marquette’s request. With Covid now at least he can regain that year he left too soon. Marquette has had a big transfer issue well before Torrence and sadly was part of the reason they asked him to reclassify. Tough for the kid.
Best post in this thread IMO. Sy is young for his class and was trying to help Marquette. He was a top 100 player who will have 3 years remaining. I personally hope he doesn’t come to SU. Multiple P5 teams will be interested and offer better paths to success.

Best post in this thread IMO. Sy is young for his class and was trying to help Marquette. He was a top 100 player who will have 3 years remaining. I personally hope he doesn’t come to SU. Multiple P5 teams will be interested and offer better paths to success.
UAlbany just hired the Marquette assistant coach as their new HC. I doubt Symir would go lower major but if he did I could understand.

Last edited:
He’s basically a less explosive Jalen Carey at this point. He was fun to watch going against Buddy in HS.

Kadary is a better player - he's been a better player all year - he is going places with basketball - Joe is not - Kadary needs to start and play 30 mins - Joe needs to sub for Buddy and Kadary - next year is Kadary's last year in college - he needs to know for a fact that he is gonna play 30 mins at Cuse and he deserves that
Is Kadary graduating early? Why would he leave early after 2 years? I highly doubt he'd get drafted by the NBA at that point.

Hmmm commit to Cuse or commit in general? If Kadary does leave then Symir would be perfect.

Translation -- he's a Cuse fan because he grew up here. So he's loving our tournament run as a townie fan, given that he's now temporarily "detached." When he commits somewhere, that will be his "new" favorite team.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Is Kadary graduating early? Why would he leave early after 2 years? I highly doubt he'd get drafted by the NBA at that point.
I wouldn't bank on it but I think it's possible he ends up on the NBA radar next season. He has the kind of skillset that the NBA will like.

I wouldn't bank on it but I think it's possible he ends up on the NBA radar next season. He has the kind of skillset that the NBA will like.
If KR’s exponential shooting improvement continues, and he tightens up his handle and decision making, he will get interest. As a junior, he would be looking at some all conference honors possibilities.
I don’t know that he is a “better” player than a fully healthy JG (understanding KR has not been healthy) but he is a different player.

If KR’s exponential shooting improvement continues, and he tightens up his handle and decision making, he will get interest. As a junior, he would be looking at some all conference honors possibilities.
I don’t know that he is a “better” player than a fully healthy JG (understanding KR has not been healthy) but he is a different player.
His size, passing ability, defense, and poise will definitely be appreciated by NBA scouts if he shows any ability to shoot at all IMO. Girard can still be an effective college player but he's just nowhere near Kadary in terms of NBA potential unless he suddenly turns into a better shooter than Buddy.

His size, passing ability, defense, and poise will definitely be appreciated by NBA scouts if he shows any ability to shoot at all IMO. Girard can still be an effective college player but he's just nowhere near Kadary in terms of NBA potential unless he suddenly turns into a better shooter than Buddy.
I’m not sure about poise, but he’ll get there

We need a fourth guard to me this guy would make scenes.
I don’t think we need a fourth guard. There isn’t enough playing time to go around especially with all the portal madness. No kid wants to be a fourth guard who eventually develops into a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.