Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

How easily we forget.

JB is going to spread the minutes around?

Ok.

Don't be dense. We use a three guard rotation every single year. Ergo, three of those guys will play. Someone will be the odd man out of the rotation, but only for 1 year.

The following year, after Battle leaves, we'll be back down to three. Joseph and Howard both project as four year program guys. Who knows how long Malachi will stick around versus go pro, so even having three guards on the roster for 2017 is no certainty.

Two of those guards are combos, who could either play point or alongside another point. There is no logjam.

In this situation, you take Battle and enjoy the ride, knowing that depth / down the road roster considerations are in solid shape after Battle is a one-and-done.

Last edited:
But 3 are point guards.
We used G last year at PG ... and he certainly isn't a conventional PG. Usually, the PG starts the offensive sets, but that player doesn't have to bring the ball up, and the 2G can also initiate the offense. The staff will figure this out and use the players in each game as they're needed, even as we struggle to pigeonhole players into positions.

RF2044 said:
Don't be dense. We use a three guard rotation. Ergo, three of those guys will play. The following year, after Battle leaves, we'll be back down to three. Two of those guards are combos, who could either play point or alongside another point. There is no logjam. In this situation, you take Battle and enjoy the ride, knowing that depth / down the road roster considerations are in solid shape after Battle is a one-and-done.

I welcome Battle...with open arms.

But I'm a tad concerned because the game has changed.

You need shooters.

Howard and Joseph aren't shooters no matter how you say they're combo guards.

The backcourt shooting will be lacking, but Malachi will provide it at the 3 because I think that's where he winds up.

You need shooters.

The backcourt shooting will be lacking, but Malachi will provide it at the 3 because I think that's where he winds up.

I don't agree with that assessment. Joseph showed a solid mid-range jumper all last season. He even hit some threes. I think we'll see a natural progression in his shooting range as he gets stronger as a function of his normal developmental curve.

No argument on Howard. He is much more effective getting into the lane and finishing than shooting right now, but let's see what he can do once he gets here before writing him off.

Richardson CAN shoot. So can Battle.

I don't see it as being as big of an issue as you imply.

And Richardson is too small to play the 3 in our system for any appreciable length of time.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Imagine what would happen on this board if someone of Battle's caliber de-committed.
burnedout.jpg

Last edited:
RF2044 said:
I don't agree with that assessment. Joseph showed a solid mid-range jumper all last season. He even hit some threes. I think we'll see a natural progression in his shooting range as he gets stronger as a function of his normal developmental curve. No argument on Howard. He is much more effective getting into the lane and finishing than shooting right now, but let's see what he can do once he gets here before writing him off. Richardson CAN shoot. So can Battle. I don't see it as being as big of an issue as you imply. And Richardson is too small to play the 3 in our system for any appreciable length of time. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Totally agree.

I just sense that Malachi is going to drive JB nuts playing defense in the zone at the 2.

Hope I'm wrong.

You need shooters.

Coach K wanted Battle as a SG so I'll trust his judgment that the kid can shoot it. You can't play that position at Duke unless you're a good shooter.

At this point I'd be holding out hope that Huerter preps and he's out 2017 guard.
yep, assuming we get Battle, I think the only possible way we get Huerter too is if he's '17... if anything, I think we gotta get a big to go along w Tyus & Moyer for '16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom