Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

The situation is promising and I think we should feel optimistic that things will work out. Timing shouldn't really be a concern as things are happening very quickly for the Battle family and they need space to consider all of the options. It's only been a couple of days since we heard he was making a visit, so don't think we should read too much into that. If distance is important to them, then we're in good position. There are several good reasons for him to choose SU and hope those reasons carry the day. Mr. Battle, we'd love to have you here and think we could do well together. Be the guy that brings JB his 2nd national championship.

About timing. I am going to guess that they didn't just wake up last Wednesday and decide all of a sudden to do this. I would imagine this conversation has been ongoing in the Battle home for a few weeks. Maybe there has been a "battle" since his commit to Mich, lol. I think they had an idea of the direction they want to go it. I doubt they set this Syracuse visit up to be "nice" to the Syracuse coaches. I think he was conflicted, and now must decide if his original commit was the correct one, or if we are the correct one. I also doubt there are other schools in the equation unless he takes his UConn visit.

About timing. I am going to guess that they didn't just wake up last Wednesday and decide all of a sudden to do this. I would imagine this conversation has been ongoing in the Battle home for a few weeks. Maybe there has been a "battle" since his commit to Mich, lol. I think they had an idea of the direction they want to go it. I doubt they set this Syracuse visit up to be "nice" to the Syracuse coaches. I think he was conflicted, and now must decide if his original commit was the correct one, or if we are the correct one. I also doubt there are other schools in the equation unless he takes his UConn visit.
I think Mich is out.

75%, which is pretty good for a guy who has been (mistakenly IMO) branded a glass half empty guy. I have no insider info whatsoever (and neither does anyone else, apparently). I'm a little concerned that he's keeping Michigan in the loop and has another possible visit he could take.

Stop being such a freaking pessimist all the time... :)

While I still believe he commits to SU, waiting has me second guessing things even though there is likely nothing to worry about at this point. Maybe he was really conflicted, checked us out just to be sure and decided that his initial choice was the correct one for him. That would suck - my mind is playing with me right now.

HOWEVER

How many recruits can you think of who de-committed from a school only to later re-commit to that same school? Seems like a very rare thing to happen - although I'm still a bit concerned.

While I still believe he commits to SU, waiting has me second guessing things even though there is likely nothing to worry about at this point. Maybe he was really conflicted, checked us out just to be sure and decided that his initial choice was the correct one for him. That would suck - my mind is playing with me right now.

HOWEVER

How many recruits can you think of who de-committed from a school only to later re-commit to that same school? Seems like a very rare thing to happen - although I'm still a bit concerned.

Agreed , its happened but very rarely. My thought is that once you have publicly come out and committed to a team and coach it puts too much stress on all aspects of those relationships once you decommit. Likely that stress makes the communication suffer and the player moves on which was already a strong possibility if they decommitted.

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but is a recruit allowed to visit another school after committing? Or is that tampering?

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but is a recruit allowed to visit another school after committing? Or is that tampering?

Probably has to decommit to make sure its not tampering. A verbal commit is not binding for the kid however so they can do what they want. I'm unsure about other schools.

There's no tampering when it's an unsigned recruit, per se. You can take your official visits after already committing, yes. You see it in football recruiting constantly.

Interesting, that's probably good news for us then if he decommitted when he didn't necessarily need to. Means he really is at a crossroads and not just rethinking his commitment. I really think distance is the big issue here, which would definitely play in our favor. Not just distance to Mich, but also playing in the Big Ten and playing regularly against the schools that Mich does would make it pretty much impossible to get to any game besides at Rutgers for dad. At Cuse, he would be able to catch games at the garden and around NY as well as at the dome.

Interesting, that's probably good news for us then if he decommitted when he didn't necessarily need to. Means he really is at a crossroads and not just rethinking his commitment. I really think distance is the big issue here, which would definitely play in our favor.

Well, as others have said, JB wouldn't have even allowed Battle to make an official visit if he hadn't decommitted first, so the fact that he did so isn't telling in that respect.

And his twitter background is still all about UM, to answer someone else's question. And it lists Tyus as a Michigan Commit.

HOWEVER

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5745649

This is the only one I recall.

Well, as others have said, JB wouldn't have even allowed Battle to make an official visit if he hadn't decommitted first, so the fact that he did so isn't telling in that respect.

And his twitter background is still all about UM, to answer someone else's question. And it lists Tyus as a Michigan Commit.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I don't really get why Boeheim wouldn't let Battle visit even if he's committed to Michigan. If he wants to visit, he clearly has interest and is at least rethinking Michigan. If a player of his caliber told me he wanted to take an official visit, even if he already has a verbal commitment to another school, I would get him up there ASAP.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I don't really get why Boeheim wouldn't let Battle visit even if he's committed to Michigan. If he wants to visit, he clearly has interest and is at least rethinking Michigan. If a player of his caliber told me he wanted to take an official visit, even if he already has a verbal commitment to another school, I would get him up there ASAP.

Because JB isn't messing with someone else's committed player!!!! Ever, ever ever! He wouldn't like it if other teams did it to him so he's not doing it. The Battle camp must have reached out to JB and staff and I'm sure they were told "yes we are still interested but we do not actively recruit committed players, ever"

There's no tampering when it's an unsigned recruit, per se. You can take your official visits after already committing, yes. You see it in football recruiting constantly.
It's not "tampering" .. unless a LOI was signed. Even without one, I don't think JB grants an official visit to a player who has declared a verbal commitment to another program, unless the player announces that he has de-committed (disavowed the verbal). That's just not who we are as a program/JB as a coach. It's about being above-board.

Last edited:
I don't think it's "tampering" either .. without a LOI being signed. That said, I don't think JB grants an official visit to a player who has declared a verbal commitment to another program, without that player announcing that he has de-committed (disavowed the verbal). That's just not who we are as a program/JB as a coach. It's about being above-board.

Well, wait now. Above board???? I thought we were a renegade program. What will happen to our Bad Boys street cred.:p

Because JB isn't messing with someone else's committed player!!!! Ever, ever ever! He wouldn't like it if other teams did it to him so he's not doing it. The Battle camp must have reached out to JB and staff and I'm sure they were told "yes we are still interested but we do not actively recruit committed players, ever"
Do you know JB's policy on this? Continuing to stay in contact (including continuing to make the case for your school) with committed recruits is standard procedure in football. Any evidence to say that SU (and everybody else) doesn't do this for basketball?

Do you know JB's policy on this? Continuing to stay in contact (including continuing to make the case for your school) with committed recruits is standard procedure in football. Any evidence to say that SU (and everybody else) doesn't do this for basketball?

If SU did this don't you think we would have had at least a handful of former recruits flip to us at some point. Perhaps its considered OK in fball because there are so many more players in each class but in bball its pretty frowned up on to my knowledge.

They don't. I brought this up a few years ago. Basketball coaches for some reason act more carefully with verbals than their football counterparts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom