Class of 2022 - PG Zion Cruz (NJ / PatrickNJ) Offered | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Zion Cruz (NJ / PatrickNJ) Offered

Zion seems pretty pumped about the Kentucky “reach out”.

Dior made it clear when he committed here, he wanted to be different - not Duke or U.K. we’ll see if Zion feels the same. We also know these kids see a Duke/UK offer as milestone; doesn’t mean he’s necessarily interested but Instagram says otherwise lol

Will be nice watching Dior, Chance and Zion come in, I’m confident it will happen.

Haven’t been this excited since I first saw freshmen Waiters and Fair.

Zion is a luxury more than a need. We can make up for it if he goes to UK.
Zion also has the best chance to be special right away (besides Dior). But with JG3 in the fold I agree with you

I'm in this same camp except if Zion is Dior's guy and he can come in and work from a chemistry standpoint better I am all for it. Seeing these kids on their own is one thing but if your elite PG has an ideal back court PIC and it helps the team gel sooner that can reap major benefits of it's own outside specific skill sets.

We need a pairing that is going to work in the college game against college athletes and college defenses. Just because the pairing work(s) in HS or on the AAU circuit doesn't mean it will transfer to the next level where everyone outside of S. Bend actually plays defense.

I think all these guys talent will transfer, just not sure you can combine guys and get the same results on the college level that you get prior to that.

Also, if you assume Dior is only going to be here one year. And you assume JGIII is the senior shooting guard, does it matter which other class of '22 kid plays well alongside Dior?

If we recruit Zion it's probably to double down in case Dior doesn't make it here, or to replace him after his one and one year. I don't think you should expect to see any of these guys walk in and knock JGIII out of the starting lineup in what would be his senior year.

I still maintain that we aren't getting Cruz. And with the other guys we are recruiting, that's okay by me.
That may be the sentiment right now but 2 years of Dior chatting in his ear relentlessly may change things(if Dior wants him).

"And as good as Flynn, MCW, Waiters, Ennis were - none of them were as impressive as Dior is at this age."
Sorry, I did not realize that Dior was the MVP of the McDonald's game.

"And as good as Flynn, MCW, Waiters, Ennis were - none of them were as impressive as Dior is at this age."
Not sure I follow. Only Seniors are selected for the McDonald's All-American Game, so Dior isn't even eligible for it yet. And none of the guys you mentioned were named MVP of that game. The most recent SU player named MVP of the McyD's AA Game was Billy O.

Not sure I follow. Only Seniors are selected for the McDonald's All-American Game, so Dior isn't even eligible for it yet. And none of the guys you mentioned were named MVP of that game. The most recent SU player named MVP of the McyD's AA Game was Billy O.
minorminorminor.gif

None of them were great three point shooters either. It’s important to recruit great players who also compliment each other’s talents. A ton of talent won’t win if the sum of all the parts don’t function together. All these guys we are talking about seem to be able to play together. That’s a good sign.

No one was MVP as a sophomore.

No one was MVP as a sophomore.
LOL For those that have trouble following along; the point is that until Dior has the HS accomplishments of Flynn it is merely your opinion that he is better. When the time comes, and if Dior wins the MVP, like Flynn did, then you can make your claim. Until then it is pure conjecture as to who was better in HS. Flynn has the hardware. Until Dior gets that hardware, and the odds are that he won't, I would not declare him as better than Flynn, etc. More often than not, we exaggerate the relative skill of our recruits.

Last edited:
LOL For those that have trouble following along; the point is that until Dior has the HS accomplishments of Flynn it is merely your opinion that he is better. When the time comes, and if Dior wins the MVP, like Flynn did, then you can make your claim. Until then it is pure conjecture as to who was better in HS. Flynn has the hardware. Until Dior gets that hardware, and the odds are that he won't, I would not declare him as better than Flynn, etc. More often than not, we exaggerate the relative skill of our recruits.

Flynn didn't win the MVP award in 2007. Micheal Beasley did. Not sure which hardware you are referring to.

Flynn was unknown as a sophomore in HS. I simply said at this point in their HS careers, Dior is better than that group was. I’m not saying he’ll end HS better, or be better in college than they were. But at 16, he is.

Flynn was unknown as a sophomore in HS. I simply said at this point in their HS careers, Dior is better than that group was. I’m not saying he’ll end HS better, or be better in college than they were. But at 16, he is.

I’m sorry, sir. Your comment is locked in. No amount of fansplaining can get you out of this hole. It is now on your Permanent Record.

Flynn was rated 3 stars as a soph. Dior is rated 5 stars as a soph. Now Flynn developed in to a great player. How well Dior grows is yet to be decided. But I think it is a ridiculously easy call to say that as soph's, Dior is better.

Just giving you a little help in case people still don't read this thread properly

I don’t even agree with your exaggerations, but at this point, I think they’re absolutely fair. I’m one of the most excited, and over the top posters here, especially when it comes to recruits. Yet, can’t even post a hypothetical about things possibly not going quite as well with the 2022 class as we all expect. No point in spending time here these days. Stay safe everyone! Don’t drop your guard like some of these fools around me in Florida.

Flynn and Niagara Falls High School won the 2005 New York state public high school and federation championships. He was also named New York State Mr. Basketball following his senior year. When he graduated with the class of 2007, he was ranked the No. 22 overall recruit and No. 4 point guard by as well as the No. 23 overall and the No. 4 point guard by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. Flynn was a 2007 McDonald's All-American and he was named to the 2007 USA Basketball Junior National Select Team that competed against the World Select Team in the 10th annual Nike Hoop Summit in Memphis, Tennessee. Flynn was a former high school and college teammate of guard/forward Paul Harris, whom he played alongside as members of the Minnesota Timberwolves' summer league team. In his senior year, Flynn averaged 26.7 points, 6.0 assists, 3.5 steals and 3.3 reb

He was not chopped liver in HS. He was relatively under the radar but that does not mean that Dior was better. The point is that orange colored glasses distort reality. Let us wait and see before declaring someone as the next savior. I'll call it near-term bias.

Flynn and Niagara Falls High School won the 2005 New York state public high school and federation championships. He was also named New York State Mr. Basketball following his senior year. When he graduated with the class of 2007, he was ranked the No. 22 overall recruit and No. 4 point guard by as well as the No. 23 overall and the No. 4 point guard by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. Flynn was a 2007 McDonald's All-American and he was named to the 2007 USA Basketball Junior National Select Team that competed against the World Select Team in the 10th annual Nike Hoop Summit in Memphis, Tennessee. Flynn was a former high school and college teammate of guard/forward Paul Harris, whom he played alongside as members of the Minnesota Timberwolves' summer league team. In his senior year, Flynn averaged 26.7 points, 6.0 assists, 3.5 steals and 3.3 reb

He was not chopped liver in HS. He was relatively under the radar but that does not mean that Dior was better. The point is that orange colored glasses distort reality. Let us wait and see before declaring someone as the next savior. I'll call it near-term bias.
Johnny Flynn was a great Highschool Prospect and I long for the days where we grabbed commits who’d rather (god knows what) than lose a game of pickup or even a possession.

Dior’s the best prospect we’ve landed since Dion Waiter, and I hope he ends up a better highschool player inarguably than Flynn because that’ll bode very well for us

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom