Phil Steele Preview | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

Thanks for the synopsis. Defensive Backs ranked at 11? Scratching my head on that one.
Yo I'm a 100% with you on that 1 we have so many stars back there that I remember one guy saying that we are like DBU as in defensive back University over the last 3 to 4 yrs and we still have a ton of talent back there!

I think just as good as our inebacker group so yes I am very confused on that????

Again, my statement was based off understanding sports and how its operated. Wildhack clearly made a investment that he expects to pay off. Thats why I made the comment. JW allowed Dino to spend money to get top guys on offense and specs. You immediately thought I was defending why he should not get fired. You ain t the only one frustrated with the losing. None of our opinions matter. its just cool to discuss on here when there's nothing else to talk about. Wildhack will make a decision based off the choices he made.

No I got your point man just explaining how your post sounded at first read. We're in agreement on pretty much everything you noted. I agree Wildhack will ultimately make the call and the lessening of the buyout makes moving on a more realistic option.

If we miss a bowl again, I just wonder where the improvement comes from. The staff looks pretty solid... with maybe the HC at that point being the one that's most questionable.
If it happens let’s see how they lose. What were the reasons?. How did they lose? One possession losses? Bad management continues? Did the players play hard to the last snap of every game? All those things will have to be considered in Wildhack’s decision. I think a 4-8 with blow out losses should close the chapter.

If we miss a bowl again, I just wonder where the improvement comes from. The staff looks pretty solid... with maybe the HC at that point being the one that's most questionable.

That to me is the biggest issue. Team is young overall but loses most of its best players after this year ie Tucker, Jones, Williams amongst others. Hard to see this team suddenly jumping to 7 wins in 2023 with Babers if he couldn't do it last year or if he fails again this season. He really needs to get 6 this year, bar isn't exactly set high and he's gotten more then enough support and time.

First off, Syracuse doesn't have to jump above all of them. We're talking about needing 3 or 4 wins in conference. We just have to win against enough of them to achieve that. I'm not saying we have to contend for an appearance in the conference championship game.

Second, Syracuse has one of the best returning players in all of college football. Despite not being able to throw for crap we piled up rushing yards last season. If you want to point to a reason why we make a jump, yeah, it's not crazy thinking Anae and Beck get us a competent passing game, and that changes everything for the team because a better offense takes stress off of our defense.
I’m not saying they need to be better than all of them, I’m saying that those other teams also return a lot and that the one team Syracuse did beat (BC) was without their star QB. Sean Tucker is great of course, but without a passing offense and with what is likely to be a very porous d-line (pending some tremendous growth during the off-season) it’ll be difficult to top teams who dispatched Syracuse relatively easily last year. It’s not like Dino isn’t trying, he just has a brutal schedule this year and 6 wins would be a major accomplishment. Sean Tucker cannot do it all, even 1500 years this season is not enough to gurantee 6 wins unless the defense takes giant strides and remains healthy.

Make no doubt that will be the argument. Stage is already being set.

Is the schedule significantly tougher? That’s just a fact, not setting a stage. We could also talk about returning personnel on other teams, not just SU, including 6 of the top 15 draftable QBs but I’m too tired.

If it happens let’s see how they lose. What were the reasons?. How did they lose? One possession losses? Bad management continues? Did the players play hard to the last snap of every game? All those things will have to be considered in Wildhack’s decision. I think a 4-8 with blow out losses should close the chapter.
The thing I hate about this scenario is I just don't see at this point that we learn much more.

I mean, we've seen Dino lose a lot in a lot of different ways.

That's why I think we need to either just outright suck bad and collapse, or just get to 6 and go bowling and build off of that.

5 wins is the worst.

AND THE SCHEDULE DOESN'T MATTER

We'll look I wouldn't call it a defense mode I was just pointing out that your statement made it sound like you felt he was coming back with 5 wins. I know you clarified later but your original post didn't read that way.

I agree with your last point and the eaisest way to solve this whole thing is for Dino to win 6 + games.
To but in, it read that way to me. Who does the firing, the school, not someone on this board.

The thing I hate about this scenario is I just don't see at this point that we learn much more.

That's why I think we need to either just outright suck bad and collapse, or just get to 6 and go bowling and build off of that.

5 wins is the worst.

I agree. 5 wins doesn’t push the needle.

That to me is the biggest issue. Team is young overall but loses most of its best players after this year ie Tucker, Jones, Williams amongst others. Hard to see this team suddenly jumping to 7 wins in 2023 with Babers if he couldn't do it last year or if he fails again this season. He really needs to get 6 this year, bar isn't exactly set high and he's gotten more then enough support and time.
Name another power 5 coach still retained with only 1 winning season out of 7.

The lack of any sort of backup qb in 2020 was solely on Dino and had nothing to do with Covid.

Unfortunately multiple decisions by Dino himself cost the team multiple close games. I don't want to rehash everything but it's hard to trust him making decisions late in a close game especially with his inability to understand clock or timeout management. Maybe he gets it done this year but QB and WR are again major question marks, the DL looks like a major issue before we inevitably lose multiple guys to injury there and Tucker as good as he is can't will this team to victory (see the last 3 games of last season where he was a non-factor).
Pinning close wins and losses on coaches decisions is fools gold, statistically. When you lose in a close game it's easy to pick out the one thing. Close losses should tell us how close we are to being good rather than how bad a HC is at 50/50 decisions

I agree on his backup QB problems - I think that's his greatest flaw while being here. I think that's like 30% of 2020s issues not 100%.

When was the last time a Syracuse team didn't have roster questions? Coach P in the 90s? We're not Ohio st. I'm hopeful on the WR front. The talent is ok. The DL, I'd feel better about if we'd snagged a transfer. But I think the lack of urgency by the staff speaks well to what they think they have.

Probably best to maybe try a different direction and not make it 15 in 19 if he's again under .500 thos season. I know people like Dino as a person but the results simply aren't there and if were being honest his in game decisions especially with clock management and stuff late in games has been horrific.
if taken in vacuum and not watching those same in game decisions being made by other coaches, often within the same game we are playing. Dabo makes a bunch of dumb decisions too, but when you have much much better athletes sometimes they just make plays to over come it.

5 wins is the worst.

Anytime someone is yelling about the schedule not mattering I go back to Marrone's 2nd year and how much time and good will it continues to buy him

Our 10 win season under Dino was against a weaker schedule by modern standards

Everyone laughs at UCF's national title claims from a few years ago

My kids soccer team didn't give up a goal and won an out of state tournament because we played in the bottom bracket. Trophy looked nice, lots of parent smiles

passing game has 4 main issues.. play calling, pass blocking, Rcvrs getting open, QB making the correct throws, on time and accurately.

1) lets hope better coaching improves the calls and sequencing..
2) just getting a core group that plays together would be a solid start to improvement
3) simplify the reads and hope a bit more talent shows up
4) 2nd yr for the #1 has to help. More throws in better windows would be nice and more throws on time

its not really and great leap for all 4 of these to improve even if its 10% better. and if #2 is better then the running game also probably is a bit better as well.

#1 can improve quite a bit
#2 can improve if healthy
#3 should improve
#4 we can hope but the drop off when we have to sub out will not be a style change for once.

if taken in vacuum and not watching those same in game decisions being made by other coaches, often within the same game we are playing. Dabo makes a bunch of dumb decisions too, but when you have much much better athletes sometimes they just make plays to over come it.
Good point.

So much of late game fan angst is 50/50 decisions with the benefit of hindsight

Personally, I'm of the mind to let the team prepare, develop, and play the games before assigning them a losing season. While many are ready, and have been, to dump Dino, we have a good team of coaches heading into the season. That's encouraging. There are also reasons to be optimistic about weaknesses we've had. We have a refurbished dome, greater depth at several key positions, and opportunities for the team to thrive. We've had a long run of difficult years with few exceptions, so confidence is theoretical, but this is a new season with at least some reason to have hope that things will improve. Let them play before deciding on another rebuild. SU has committed to this group of coaches and players. It may work out and sooner than later. LGO!

Anytime someone is yelling about the schedule not mattering I go back to Marrone's 2nd year and how much time and good will it continues to buy him

Our 10 win season under Dino was against a weaker schedule by modern standards

Everyone laughs at UCF's national title claims from a few years ago

My kids soccer team didn't give up a goal and won an out of state tournament because we played in the bottom bracket. Trophy looked nice, lots of parent smiles
I just mean at this point we have a large enough sample size on Dino that the job has to get done, and the job is getting 6 wins and bowl eligible.

He could play 12 games against the NFC east this season and it's still the job.

We're past the point of sliding scale evaluations with Dino.

Won’t push the needle either way.

Rick at some point the university wants a return on investment. They have spent money on HC, Assistant Coaches, dome, practice facilities, etc. wasn't the big issue for not firing him last year the buyout. Isn't that buyout moving into reasonable level now?

If the return is 1 bowl season in 7 seasons it's time to move on. The fans will just stop spending money on this program, won't go to games and will completely write off Syracuse football as something to spend any mental energy on.

I'm teetering on the edge of caring at this point for the most part and i'm a fan who posts on a message board. There will be a generation of fans who never saw Syracuse go to bowl games 3 seasons in a row (in an era where the ability to bowl is not the hardest thing to achieve).

Anyone SU defeats this season, will be perceived to have not been as good as expected. So the schedule is only as difficult as SU performs. I’m not going to sit here and predict everyone will be better except SU.

Rick at some point the university wants a return on investment. They have spent money on HC, Assistant Coaches, dome, practice facilities, etc. wasn't the big issue for not firing him last year the buyout. Isn't that buyout moving into reasonable level now?

If the return is 1 bowl season in 7 seasons it's time to move on. The fans will just stop spending money on this program, won't go to games and will completely write off Syracuse football as something to spend any mental energy on.

I'm teetering on the edge of caring at this point for the most part and i'm a fan who posts on a message board. There will be a generation of fans who never saw Syracuse go to bowl games 3 seasons in a row (in an era where the ability to bowl is not the hardest thing to achieve).
Time for a run of bowls...we get 5 or 6 in a row and several Top 25 finishes...all of a sudden our brand revives.

Can’t disagree with anything you said but my sole point was just comparing last year to this year. We could be, and I believe we will be, far better than last year but it may not be reflected in our record due to things SU has no control over right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom