Phil Steele Preview | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

I don't even really want to talk about this but 5 wins would be such a let down of a season.

It's like running on the hamster wheel, except we likely don't have Tucker that following season.
Tucker is clearly gone after this year. Keep in mind that I am making a prediction of Dino's retainment and nothing other than that.

Assuming Dinos under .500 again that's 1 winning season in 7 years. Even in SUs version of D1 P5 sports that's not tenable. It's not tenable for any P5 program even Kansas or Rutty
Im very aware. 13 losing seasons in 17 years.

Assuming Dinos under .500 again that's 1 winning season in 7 years. Even in SUs version of D1 P5 sports that's not tenable. It's not tenable for any P5 program even Kansas or Rutty
When would you have fired him?

Im very aware. 13 losing seasons in 17 years.

Probably best to maybe try a different direction and not make it 15 in 19 if he's again under .500 thos season. I know people like Dino as a person but the results simply aren't there and if were being honest his in game decisions especially with clock management and stuff late in games has been horrific.

Last year he should of been fired, full stop. If we're being honest he should have been let go after 2020 but financially it wasn't tenable.
That and the pandemic, both for 2020.

A case could be made for last year - but it’s tough to make that case with so many OT and last possession loses by 3 along with a Heisman level RB

That and the pandemic, both for 2020.

A case could be made for last year - but it’s tough to make that case with so many OT and last possession loses by 3 along with a Heisman level RB

The lack of any sort of backup qb in 2020 was solely on Dino and had nothing to do with Covid.

Unfortunately multiple decisions by Dino himself cost the team multiple close games. I don't want to rehash everything but it's hard to trust him making decisions late in a close game especially with his inability to understand clock or timeout management. Maybe he gets it done this year but QB and WR are again major question marks, the DL looks like a major issue before we inevitably lose multiple guys to injury there and Tucker as good as he is can't will this team to victory (see the last 3 games of last season where he was a non-factor).

Probably best to maybe try a different direction and not make it 15 in 19 if he's again under .500 thos season. I know people like Dino as a person but the results simply aren't there and if were being honest his in game decisions especially with clock management and stuff late in games has been horrific.
Yeah, we all know his situation. Its been talked about to exhaustion. Everyone on this board has probably made the same comments multiple times.

Yes. From what I heard he wouldnt but what the admins will do and what I think they should do is two different things. You see the difference?

Yes I see the difference, I also didn't see you say you disagreed with that premise. Also you didn't say that was what you heard you made it sound like it was your opinion.

5 wins is tough to take. But we will be better this year than last and that improvement is what is the most important thing this year with such a young team and new coaches. But it may not be reflected in the record this year because of the schedule.
And this will be the justification for not firing him after another losing season

Yes I see the difference, I also didn't see you say you disagreed with that premise. Also you didn't say that was what you heard you made it sound like it was your opinion.
That's where your head went to. I was making a comment to another member. I made a general comment about Dino not being fired after 5 wins. You made the assumption that I was making a case for him to be retained and I said nothing to indicate that. I did not say "Dino should be brought back even if he misses a bowl game". Those are your words.

Last edited:
That's where your head went to. I made a general comment about Dino not being fired after 5 wins. You made the assumption that I was making a case for him to be retained and I said nothing to indicate that. I did not say Dino should be brought back even if he misses a bowl game". Those are your words.

Sorry but what should I have thought then?

Again your statement:
Dino is not getting fired with 5 wins. Not with the hires he made and the returning players for the 2023 season.

I see no mention that this was the admins position or anyone else's. Why would I think this wasn't your opinion?

Sorry but what should I have thought then?

Again your statement:
You dont have to show me my comment. Your mind went to a different place. You got into defense mode my guy. Ive been quoted several times for saying Dino should have been fired after last season. Im not going to say that every time I post so people will know where I stand lol. Its a mute point now. He was retained and he made some great hires on offense and special teams.

You dont have to show me my comment. Your mind went to a different place. You got into defense mode my guy. Ive been quoted several times for saying Dino should have been fired after last season. Im not going to say that every time I post so people will know where I stand lol. Its a mute point now. He was retained and he made some great hires on offense and special teams.

We'll look I wouldn't call it a defense mode I was just pointing out that your statement made it sound like you felt he was coming back with 5 wins. I know you clarified later but your original post didn't read that way.

I agree with your last point and the eaisest way to solve this whole thing is for Dino to win 6 + games.

We'll look I wouldn't call it a defense mode I was just pointing out that your statement made it sound like you felt he was coming back with 5 wins. I know you clarified later but your original post didn't read that way.

I agree with your last point and the eaisest way to solve this whole thing is for Dino to win 6 + games.
Again, my statement was based off understanding sports and how its operated. Wildhack clearly made a investment that he expects to pay off. Thats why I made the comment. JW allowed Dino to spend money to get top guys on offense and specs. You immediately thought I was defending why he should not get fired. You ain t the only one frustrated with the losing. None of our opinions matter. its just cool to discuss on here when there's nothing else to talk about. Wildhack will make a decision based off the choices he made.

Again, my statement was based off understanding sports and how its operated. Wildhack clearly made a investment that he expects to pay off. Thats why I made the comment. JW allowed Dino to spend money to get top guys on offense and specs. You immediately thought I was defending why he should not get fired. You ain t the only one frustrated with the losing. None of our opinions matter. its just cool to discuss on here when there's nothing else to talk about. Wildhack will make a decision based off the choices he made.
If we miss a bowl again, I just wonder where the improvement comes from. The staff looks pretty solid... with maybe the HC at that point being the one that's most questionable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom