Phil Steele Preview | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

Can’t disagree with anything you said but my sole point was just comparing last year to this year. We could be, and I believe we will be, far better than last year but it may not be reflected in our record due to things SU has no control over right now.
That's a fair point but Wildhack's patience for fixing everything in the program but the HC will put the spotlight on said HC if we're in that 4-5 win nowhere's-ville. That's my point.

I see a ton of green shoots with the decisions this offseason. it won't matter if no one cares anymore and the program becomes irrelevant. If the school has decided to run the program in a way that doesn't rely on bowls to sustain a HC employyment then keep Dino indefinitely and give him a 5 year contract now. otherwise, he's somewhat lameduck at the end of this year if we are 5 wins and no change.

Can’t disagree with anything you said but my sole point was just comparing last year to this year. We could be, and I believe we will be, far better than last year but it may not be reflected in our record due to things SU has no control over right now.
What is it that they have no control over right now?

That's a fair point but Wildhack's patience for fixing everything in the program but the HC will put the spotlight on said HC if we're in that 4-5 win nowhere's-ville. That's my point.

I see a ton of green shoots with the decisions this offseason. it won't matter if no one cares anymore and the program becomes irrelevant. If the school has decided to run the program in a way that doesn't rely on bowls to sustain a HC employyment then keep Dino indefinitely and give him a 5 year contract now. otherwise, he's somewhat lameduck at the end of this year if we are 5 wins and no change.
Just so happens the last time Louisville played in the dome, it was a big win for SU. With an experienced QB and OL. Custis after some nondescript seasons finally became the playmaker. Alford can make the jump this year.

What is it that they have no control over right now?

The schedule they made years ago and how much other teams retained star players or improved themselves. We will be improved but we can’t say nobody else will be.

The schedule they made years ago and how much other teams retained star players or improved themselves. We will be improved but we can’t say nobody else will be.
Over scheduling has always been a complaint of mine. We never learn

Using bowls to sustain employment is a weird metric anyway

Just so happens the last time Louisville played in the dome, it was a big win for SU. With an experienced QB and OL. Custis after some nondescript seasons finally became the playmaker. Alford can make the jump this year.
And they hung 62 at the Dome game before the one you listed. Over the last 7 seasons, L'ville has won by an average score of 44-20. This has been a terrible match up for what many consider to be a peer school.

And they hung 62 at the Dome game before the one you listed. Over the last 7 seasons, L'ville has won by an average score of 44-20. This has been a terrible match up for what many consider to be a peer school.
[/QUO
Lamar Jackson isn't coming back to play again, so that isn' t happening again.
Louisville without him hasn't done well in the dome.

FSU has always had higher rated players than us. They have underachieved in recent years. There is still a culture issue there. They still have a lot to prove imo.
I wish they would find a way to bring deion sanders there! Win WIn IMO

If Syracuse goes 5-7 against a much tougher schedule (I think I saw that this could be the 12th most difficult in the country), then by default, that is improvement

If Syracuse goes 5-7 against the 12th most difficult schedule in the country, and improves in offensive statistical categories, like yards per game, yards per play, and points per game, then that is improvement, and this coaching staff must be retained to see what they can put together with another year to gel. Too much has been invested in this staff to not see how it could play out

On top of everything else, Syracuse has clearly won the off-season and I don't know why we are setting the stage to blow up all the investments and moves that have been made at the end of the season

Let the good vibes roll. Go Orange

Agreed and I would be shocked if this revamped staff isn't looking at or given a 2 year window. We don't need anymore 1 win seasons but 5 wins isn't a disaster either

Last edited:
I’m more optimistic about the program than any time since the 10-3 season. Last season we had many periods of functionality, even if it was offensively imbalanced. This year, I feel pretty confident we will see a more balanced, competitive, functional team.

I think a lot of teams have their kryptonite. Louisville is always full of absolute stud athletes at the skill positions even if they’re not necessarily the most technically skilled, that’s a bad matchup for a team like Syracuse who struggles to get any real speed in skill players.

Agreed and I would be shocked if the this revamped staff isn't looking at or given a 2 year window. We don't need anymore 1 win seasons but 5 wins isn't a disaster either

I'm not as passionate about coaching decisions as the younger version of me.

I think it would be a waste of time to bring in Anae and Beck for only 1 year (even if we pay them for 2), and then start over.

They are Dino's security blanket, unless we replaced him with Mendenhall.

So much of late game fan angst is 50/50 decisions with the benefit of hindsight
Dino's decision to attempt a 48-yard field goal on 4th and 1 down 17-14 with a minute left against Clemson is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a football game. When we have Garrett and Tucker in the backfield who can get us a yard.

I wouldn’t have kicked that even if our kicker was Justin Tucker. Best case scenario you give Clemson the ball with a chance to win the game with a field goal.

I was watching on my phone at a wedding freaking out about this before the kick was even attempted while everyone at my table was looking at me like I was a nutjob.

Last edited:
Over scheduling has always been a complaint of mine. We never learn
The idea that we overschedule is mostly a myth and an excuse for how bad we've been.

Since GRob's first year we have played a legitimately hard schedule exactly three times, 14th in 2006, 8th in 2016, 8th in 2017. Other than that, our schedule difficulty is very manageable.

I can’t believe there’s this many fans on here that think Dino is fired no questions asked if they fall short of a bowl with a preseason schedule that has 5, maybe 6 ranked teams heading into the year depending on the site. You guys really think that Jason Beck and Robert Anae would come to SYRACUSE NY if they weren’t guaranteed some aspect of job security? This team was 3 points shy 3 straight weeks from reaching the goal. I get that it’s frustrating, but the coaching and team could be much better this year and we could very well end up with the same win-loss record. That’s just reality, scheduling matters and the ACC Atlantic has proven winners at QB on nearly every team besides us. Cleaning house and starting all over after a competitive 5 win season with the toughest schedule I can remember would be such a disastrous, impulsive, and short-sighted decision.. especially given the moves made this offseason and the buzz from recruits who are raving about the culture. Someone already hit the nail on the head a month ago (see below). Why do we continue to beat a dead horse?
35A6439B-A9A7-4C9D-86FB-8FFAE76FE723.jpeg

If Syracuse goes 5-7 against a much tougher schedule (I think I saw that this could be the 12th most difficult in the country), then by default, that is improvement

If Syracuse goes 5-7 against the 12th most difficult schedule in the country, and improves in offensive statistical categories, like yards per game, yards per play, and points per game, then that is improvement, and this coaching staff must be retained to see what they can put together with another year to gel. Too much has been invested in this staff to not see how it could play out

On top of everything else, Syracuse has clearly won the off-season and I don't know why we are setting the stage to blow up all the investments and moves that have been made at the end of the season

Let the good vibes roll. Go Orange

SU definitely had a good off-season but honestly stuff like this happens to a lot of D1 program in the off-season. Programs improving the assistant coaches and QB situation in the off-season aren't exactly rare moves. I like Anae and Beck but were not talking about a 30 year old Steve Spurrier and Norm Chow coming on board here. If your not going to move on from a HC with 1 winning season in 7 years because of Anae and Beck then we should stop the charade that this is a P5 D1 program.

SU definitely had a good off-season but honestly stuff like this happens to a lot of D1 program in the off-season. Programs improving the assistant coaches and QB situation in the off-season aren't exactly rare moves. I like Anae and Beck but were not talking about a 30 year old Steve Spurrier and Norm Chow coming on board here. If your not going to move on from a HC with 1 winning season in 7 years because of Anae and Beck then we should stop the charade that this is a P5 D1 program.

I think you have 4 assistants and Dino who will still be on contract after this year. You can make statements like your last sentence and I see the point but barring a disaster I think it's pretty clear to see that we are working with a 2 year window here with the assistants that were added and one that was retained outside of White. Everybody's favorite recruiter that is and again 5 wins isn't the end of the world.

I guess maybe I think Dino with this staff might be worth keeping around for awhile. At this point, what's another couple years anyway? Anae and Beck do have a pretty good track record

Last edited:
I can see it now. We get to 5 wins…have a ticker tape parade downtown and extend Dino.

I think you have 4 assistants and Dino who will still be on contract after this year. You can make statements like your last sentence and I see the point but barring a disaster I think it's pretty clear to see that we are working with a 2 year window here with the assistants that were added and one that was retained outside of White. Everybody's favorite recruiter that is and again 5 wins isn't the end of the world.

I guess maybe I think Dino with this staff might be worth keeping around for awhile.

I get that, that might be the plan, but at some point we have to acknowledge this isn't working versus continuing to find a way to keep the Dino show going. If he gets to 6-6 great lets keep things going and see if we can build on it. If its more of the same from the last 2 years its time to pull the plug. Were not talking about having to pay a Brent Venables buyout to anyone and White and or Anae or Beck could be retained as part of any new staff. If the staff is used as the excuse this year it will be something else next year and something else the following year etc etc etc.

I can see it now. We get to 5 wins…have a ticker tape parade downtown and extend Dino.

To me the record argument to bring him back at 5 wins seems odd. He couldn't get more then 5 wins against a much easier schedule last year so if he can match that underwhelming record again lets try it another year?

I get that, that might be the plan, but at some point we have to acknowledge this isn't working versus continuing to find a way to keep the Dino show going. If he gets to 6-6 great lets keep things going and see if we can build on it. If its more of the same from the last 2 years its time to pull the plug. Were not talking about having to pay a Brent Venables buyout to anyone and White and or Anae or Beck could be retained as part of any new staff. If the staff is used as the excuse this year it will be something else next year and something else the following year etc etc etc.
I know that you have been in a back and forth with someone else. As for me, my argument would be that if the staff doesn't get it done next year (2023), then it will be time to look for a new staff.

I, for one, will not be defending the staff in perpetuity. I am only arguing for this season, as I believe most people are who understand the schedule and the newness of the staff. I think 5 wins should be the bar for this season only. After that, it has to get better.

In fact, I was on the fence about bringing Dino back for this year. I wasn't sure what the right answer was. But after Wildhack made his decision, Dino made his hires, and recruiting has gone in the right direction, I think we have to give this group 2 years if we can. And it sounds like that is the course that Wildhack will take, which seems more than reasonable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom