Phil Steele Preview | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

I agree. I've just noticed how Cusian is selective on the criteria he uses for his evaluation based on whether he likes the coach or not, so I like to point it out.
Yeah, I’d say something about your opinions but you don’t seem to actually have any

I try to have informed opinions and hold them strongly until I’m proven wrong. I’m ok with admitting when I’m wrong and try to show deference to folks who know more than me (like money3189).

I get run over the coals for this and probably should just have pithy things to say and drop an occasional gif

It’s fine. I can take it.

Yeah, I’d say something about your opinions but you don’t seem to actually have any
My apologies for the wife comment. That was unnecessary - seriously.

But I'm sorry you don't like that I point out that you use selective criteria to evaluate coaches based on whether you like them or not, going back to Marrone. But I'll drop it now.

Which was good for 9th in the ACC last year

In 2020, they were 14th
In 2019, the dazzler had them at #1

So
Yeah BC rushed for under 2000 yards last season. That’s nothing compared to other years. Losing their whole line will be a factor for them.

My apologies for the wife comment. That was unnecessary - seriously.

But I'm sorry you don't like that I point out that you use selective criteria to evaluate coaches based on whether you like them or not, going back to Marrone. But I'll drop it now.
Elaborate … I feel like I have the same criteria. Maybe I’m not communicating well

About that decent chance of going to a bowl game:

Might be more of a longshot than I inferred...the Top 12 teams rated with a tougher schedule this year over last year...guess who is #2 on the list?

Yeah Cuse. (BTW, Ruttie is #1). Both teams each power rated around the 10th toughest schedule in CFB.

So anyways his stats suggest over the last 17 years that the Top 12 teams that have much tougher schedules compared to the prior year, have an 85% chance of winning the same number or worse amount of games. So SU's chances at a bowl game (6 wins) is pretty long.

They replaced them with a whole new set of very good linemen and one returning starter. Their O Line is always pretty good. Plus, that is last game. No reason they shouldn't have experience by tha point.

I don't know why folks see this as a sure win. BC will more than likely be favored.
BC will be a tough game...late season for SU is notoriously bad.

More convinced that a 4-1 start is imperative for a bowl game.

Yeah, have to agree. I am really surprised, and honestly disappointed that they were not able to bring in an experienced DL transfer.
Yes.. this is my #1 concern. Robert Anae will figure something out to get the offense moving with Sean Tucker and the experienced line. The back 8 on this defense has the potential to be great but how much of their success last year was due to the experienced line? They really generated a lot of pressure and plugged a lot of holes for just a 3 man line.

Top 4 concerns going into next year

#4 - Passing game
#3 - Linebacker depth (top 3 are great but if one goes down uh oh)
#2 - Defensive line
#1 - Tough Schedule

It’s easy to criticize a team that has 4 winning seasons in 17 years. We can also keep in mind Cuse were underdogs in every game but 1 or 2 last year and won 5. Should have won more.
Haha. Remember some of those college football preview dudes had the Syracuse over/under odds at 2 or 3 wins last year?

I don't see us above BC. They could win 8...ACC TV preview show actually had them winning 9. The BC QB they had going in first 2 rounds. Got my Lindy's...also picked Syracuse last...only above Duke in power poll. No respect at all in Lindy's...the Lindy's writer pretty much mocked the FB team outside Tucker.
...said only team in Atlantic that stuck out as non contender was Syracuse. Criticized talent and poor recruiting by Dino.
I'll take Phil Steele's word over most others most of the time when it comes to these things

Might be more of a longshot than I inferred...the Top 12 teams rated with a tougher schedule this year over last year...guess who is #2 on the list?

Yeah Cuse. (BTW, Ruttie is #1). Both teams each power rated around the 10th toughest schedule in CFB.

So anyways his stats suggest over the last 17 years that the Top 12 teams that have much tougher schedules compared to the prior year, have an 85% chance of winning the same number or worse amount of games. So SU's chances at a bowl game (6 wins) is pretty long.
Good data… and statistics matter.

But, I still think we bump up a peg. I’ll see all you mothertruckers in Birmingham OR IN….

March ‘23, when I start proclaiming bowl games again.

Tough

If you don't think that Syracuse has Louisville circled, highlighted, and starred on their game schedule, then you are missing it

It's the first game of the year against a team that has had Syracuse's number the last few years, and just embarrassed them last year. This game is going to be a fight.

And BTW, as long as we come through clean in fall camp, we will have a healthy Shrader, which we did not against Louisville last year

No matter what these college football previews say about our QB and Receiver rankings, we have 1) huge X factors in Anae and Beck that will help make these position groups make some noise, and 2) after watching the spring game this year, I am much higher on the potential of the receiver unit to completely erase all thoughts of what happened under Gilbert ball

As far as DL, we have questions at tackle, but we have some hot young studs at DE. We will see how this plays out

If you don't think that Syracuse has Louisville circled, highlighted, and starred on their game schedule, then you are missing it

It's the first game of the year against a team that has had Syracuse's number the last few years, and just embarrassed them last year. This game is going to be a fight.

And BTW, as long as we come through clean in fall camp, we will have a healthy Shrader, which we did not against Louisville last year

Saving grace we generally perform well at home at night. We don't always win but we've had some great games. I was really hoping for a Thursday or Friday night ESPN type game...I'll have to make due with a Saturday night ACCN game.

This game feels like some of our past tough home openers like Washington, Northwestern, Wake Forest and Minnesota. I'd throw PSU at the Meadowlands in there too. I really think this game will be a FG type of spread.

It isn't hyperbole to say this game could be a pivotal game for Dino and the staff. Cuse fans also need to realize that UVA plays UL as a cross conference rival. The results since Satterfield took over at UL are 2-1. Anae and Beck are putting up some points.

2019 loss at UL 28-21 (uva 9-5, ul 8-5)
2020 win at UVA 31-17 (uva 5-5, ul 4-7)
2021 win at UL 34-33 (uva 6-6, ul 6-7)

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty fair assessment of the position groups other than the DB group being so low given the pre-season All ACC CBs and thought OL was a bit high given overall performance despite 4 of 5 starters coming back.

Picked last in that group probably makes sense objectively. Let's prove them wrong.

I’d throw Davis in your. Mix at OL. For a true freshman Ellis did great. Hopefully he’s been able to start reshaping his body.

Agree, Ellis looks promising and Davis is solid. Just hope C and RT, even if we go best 5, aren't weak spots.

I'm fairly bullish on safeties because of the transfers. Both highly recruited guys, hope they can step in, and Carter continues to develop.

I don’t believe that. First game of the season is way too early to determine how the rest of the season will go. Lots of different things can change after one game. Also, some teams are just bad match ups.
This is a veteran team, if they are able to play at a high level out of the gate, it’s going to be a long season.

Season hinges on Shrader and our safeties/DL imo.

Punting cant get worse

WR cant get worse

We may have an Alabama level rb group.

LB has a little more depth than whats been advertised. The staff likes Sparrow and Lowery more than whats been advertised here and in a pinch I wouldnt doubt Linton’s ability to assume Richards’ role off the edge

BC will be a tough game...late season for SU is notoriously bad.

More convinced that a 4-1 start is imperative for a bowl game.
Most of our late season troubles have been injury related, and specifically QB injury related. My hope is Shrader can remain healthy all season. But if not, I hope we are in a better position than years past for someone to step in a maintain a functioning offense.

Not, English not so good sometimes
There lots of teams that dont play at a high level first game of the season. Some teams start off slow. Some start fast and regress. My mind wouldnt allow me to think the season is washed after 1 game. Ive just seen too many teams change during the season. There are different factors. Sometimes players just step up throughout the course of a season. We have new OC's, new offense. We might not completely gel early on. 2012 team lost the first two games after making changes to the offense.

Agreed, I know its not what people want to hear but SU under Babers has only done it on the field once. The schedule is also a bear. Your opening up with a team that scores on us like were a 1AA defense every year save for 11 under Dino. Second this team hasn't beaten Pitt at Pitt in literally 20+ years. We did finally take care of FSU in 2018 but they have now become Miami in the non Mcnabb years where we find a way to always come up short. Forget ND and Clemson. BC seems ripe for the picking but can this DL stop teams from just running down our throats or get any sort of pressure on the QB?

Still way to many question marks for this team especially at two critical positions in the current college landscape WR and DL.
I hate to beat a dead horse bit I am still squeamish on the DL. I think the WRs will battle to see who will catch the ball and score (we know Alford can and will). An unexpected DL transfer with something to prove would be awesome. The OL being rated that high is a wonderful surprise.

UL wont run over use because the DL isnt big enough.. its because we get out of position in the back 7 against them and it seems every time the QB has one long run and we blow a sweep/screen play..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom